Topic: Good bike locks/how to deter bike thieves?

Posted on: 17th Jul 2015 9:35 AM    Quote and Reply

Apparently bike theft here is common to the point where it seems people are going to eventually lose their bikes someday, so I'd like to know if it's simply because people don't lock their bikes up properly with good locks or, idk (honest question) are there professional bike thieves prowling the streets with giant bolt cutters? Who are they anyway, are they delinquents or foreigners? What tools do they usually use to break locks so I know what kinds of locks to buy?

What are great bike locks that can give me a peace of mind leaving the bike alone for hours on end? The place I'll be leaving my bike alone will mostly be in university campus, will that deter bike thieves? I heard hardened steel can yield to some bolt cutters or hammers, so are they really any better than steel locks, like the Ugrip Bordo 5700 (is that a good lock btw?)?

What are some good ways to mark your bike so it'll be worthless to bike thieves but still look good to the owner? I'd prefer not to spray paint my bike, if that even helps.

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section, bike locks are kind of like bike parts anyway right? x.x
Regular Forumer
13 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Jul 2015 11:04 AM    Quote and Reply

No matter how good your locks are or how many locks u put . if u park in the same place at practically the same timing in your daily routine, some crook will sure come prepared to steal it, some how and some what. The good thing is that it is in the university campus and some areas have CCTVs. my advise is to try to find those areas that have CCTVs so has to increase the security.

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th Jul 2015 11:45 AM    Quote and Reply

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Regular Forumer
13 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Jul 2015 6:56 PM    Quote and Reply

After locking it, put it into the highest gear, he'll be having a hard time cycling it of in a hurry.
Just don't forget if you are cycling it off.

Regular Forumer
13 posts

Posted on: 17th Jul 2015 7:06 PM    Quote and Reply

It's the highest number right? Thanks!

Regular Forumer
13 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings