Topic: MediaCorp Channel 5 Common Cents Interview

Posted on: 15th Jun 2015 11:12 AM    Quote and Reply

Do you frequently cycle to work? Do you use a foldable bike and bring it along with you on your train commute? Do you want to share more about how and why you do it?

If so, we’d love to have you on Common Cents! Common Cents is a Channel 5 financial education show that offers advice on how best to use or save one’s money. We’re doing an episode on transport, with cycling as a possible alternative to driving or taking public transport. If you or your friends are keen, feel free to contact me at wendywongsm@mediacorp.com.sg for more information. Thanks!

Freshie Forumer
6 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Jun 2015 4:34 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi Wendy.

As you know, Singapore is not really a cycling friendly city. We don't have dedicated cycling paths except those found in park connector networks. Majority picks up cycling as a hobby, to have fun with family and friends and it's also form of exercise. However, there are people out there that cycle from home to MRT stations or bus interchange and park their rides there before continuing their journey via bus/train.

Bringing foldie with the approved size, is fine however, just picture this, yourself with a foldie in a sardine packed train, during peak hours, all eyes on you as your foldie is taking up space for other passngers to stand. It's not pleasant for others unless you don't really care much.

It is only practical to have a small scooter or penny board on your bus/train commute. Maybe, you can focus your article on that.

What's more common cents is, to preserve the existing riding trails, lesser golf courses, lesser man made trails, make use the area under flyovers/expressways for retails, cycling pumptracks or even radio control car tracks, archery, paintball arena which can be family friendly and everyone from differrent age group level can participate.

Cheers. 

Kind Regards,

Faroz Marzoki
| If it doesn't kill | It makes you stronger | If you don't get stronger | You'll be the death of me |

1.5 Meter Matters. Sharing Save Lifes. Share the Road, Trails and Ride.
Regular Forumer
174 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th Jun 2015 7:08 PM    Quote and Reply

lol. why don't channel 5 share the reality that singapore roads are not suitable for cycling. Unless you want to live fast die young who would want to cycle to work on singapore roads? come on, common sense. 

bicycle along train commute? Seriously? Might as well fully train commute why need the bicycle. lol

iHerb.com, $10 off order! - Discount code: DJV648
Regular Forumer
185 posts
Forum Rep: 48

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Jun 2015 8:08 PM    Quote and Reply

Ever chat with a gentleman who did that with his unicycle (more compact than foldable bike).

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Jun 2015 10:58 AM    Quote and Reply

Thanks for your comments guys, we've managed to find a profile. I understand where you're all coming from, and I'll definitely keep your comments in mind. Have a good weekend ahead. 

Freshie Forumer
6 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Jun 2015 7:37 PM    Quote and Reply

The restriction on bringing a folding bike onboard the train during peak hours means it would not be possible for the folks working regular hours to commute by bicycle+train except by leaving the bicycle parked at the train station.

Therefore I wonder how this episode of Common Cents is going to be presented.

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Jun 2015 8:35 PM    Quote and Reply

A guy in my place has been commuting by MRT and bike for years. He has a Brompton and a carrying bag, no one has ever stopped him at the MRT at any time

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Login to see your Forum Rankings