Topic: converting 2x10 to 1x10

Posted on: 31st May 2015 7:51 PM    Quote and Reply

I'm thinking of converting the drive train on my mini velo from 2 x 10 to 1 x 10.

Is it as simple as changing the crankset to a single chain ring and removing the front deraileur?

To prevent chain drops, I plan to change to a single chainring crankset that is meant for track bikes e.g. the sugino mighty comp single. Heard that track cranksets have bigger teeth and that will help to prevent chain drops.

Has anyone here worked on a similar conversion before? Is there anything I'm overlooking?

Many thanks for the advice. 
Regular Forumer
14 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Jun 2015 12:25 PM    Quote and Reply

I believe, unless we choose to do otherwise, we usually make use of one crankring most of the time, we cycle (1X10).
Bigger teeth on chainring need not help much more than the alignment of the sprocket to the chainring in use (eg. regular 39T to drive 11t may be eventful).
Perhaps its better to check drivetrain alignments then decide on what is to be next.
I am not trying to throw a wet blanket onto anyone keen in DIY or tinkling with his bike. I am always tinkling with my bike, too. I am using 1X9 these days (more accurately 1X6).

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings