Topic: Please suggest upgrades for Tern Verge X10

Posted on: 5th May 2015 12:27 AM    Quote and Reply

Parts experts and weightmisers please help!
What parts of the x10 can be upgraded for lighter weight and better functionality? Hope to shave off another 700g or more but worried about parts compatibility and where to get them locally.

Thanks in advance! 
Freshie Forumer
5 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 5th May 2015 5:39 PM    Quote and Reply

Actually almost every components can be changed.  

You can consider getting carbon rail saddle, carbon crankset e.g. FSA SLK, magnesium pedals, carbon handlebar etc.

Most LBS would hv the components n they would be able to advise u on the compatibility.  Thus to me it boils down to price of the components and whether the change is necessary.

I have no respect for irresponsible drivers. Neither do I have any respect for irresponsible cyclists and pedestrians. Its not one rule for "them" and another rule for "us".
Regular Forumer
223 posts
Forum Rep: 22

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th May 2015 6:49 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks worldsofmind for your thoughts.
I wish there was a one-stop shop that can give me that advice and offer me a choice of parts too.
For a not-very-strong person like me, a weight loss of 700g or more would really help me when lugging it into the mrt or up an overhead bridge in the PCNs. If I had the money, I would have just sprung twice the money and gotten a foldie that was already 8.5kg and doesn't need any further twiddling, but unfortunately I don't.
Just have to upgrade a few parts at a time and get each upgrade right the first time, or else the whole exercise would be a waste of time and money.

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 6th May 2015 8:28 PM    Quote and Reply

Ive upgraded my tern x10 as well. Concentrated more on functionality then upright weight upgrades
here's what i did:
Shifters: shimano tiagra 2x10 road shifters set
Crankset: Shimano ultegra 53/39
front deraileur: shimano ultegra braze on, bottom pull
rear deraileur: shimano ultegra short cage
cassette: shimano ultegra 11-25
tires: panasonic minit lites
saddle: I'm using selle italia man

Some notes:
1)The stock duranos have less rolling ressistance compared to the minit lites. But panasonic gives better comfort and better stability when going over bumps on the road. Duranos are also a pain to remove to replace the inner tubes. 

2)I did try to use a carbon seatpost. But problem with folders is your constantly raising  and lowering the seatpost when folding. So you'll eventually get scratches on the seatpost. Its hard to differentiate between  cracks and scratches. So decided to stick with aluminium

3) Kinetix pro wheelsets are already the lightest on the market so i don't see the need to upgrade these.

4)The v brakes on the x10 while not branded, are very good. No neccesity to change.

5) Stock kore saddle is horrible and painful to sit in for long periods. The first thing i upgraded on the x10

Btw all items purchased online. Can easily save 30% off the purchase price on each item compared to locally. Then with the savings can send it to the lbs to install with cash to spare to treat your family for dinner!! The x10 is a great bike for fast effortless cycling. The x10 is not an ideal bike for multi modal commuting. Was more tired carrying the bike into the train (carry from mrt entrance all the way to mrt platform) compared to the entire cycling journey!!

Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 6th May 2015 9:59 PM    Quote and Reply

ya regarding carbon seat posts. your weight does play a part, if u are heavy, try not to use carbon. regarding the v-brakes if i am not wrong is Kinetix pro  , which is good already, if u still have doubts, u can wait for someone to sell shimano XT v-brakes in the market place, it can go as low as $50 for a pair sometimes. no point to buy brand new as it will cost about $1XX.

ya, kore saddles are horrid, i was unlucky, my stock is kore I-beam post and saddle. have to change the entire shit :( 

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th May 2015 8:42 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi Icycool

Really appreciate your highly informative comments!

Some questions if you don't mind answering:

Crankset: Shimano ultegra 53/39 
rear deraileur: shimano ultegra short cage  cassette: shimano ultegra 11-25  saddle: I'm using selle italia
So the panasonic gives better comfort and better stability when going over bumps on the road 
locally.

You said you were more tired carrying the bike into the train compared to the entire cycling journey... that is exactly why I bought a carrying bag for it... but if the weight as 1kg less I wouldn't feel the strain on my 63kg body hahaaha.

Thanks again for sharing!

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th May 2015 8:52 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks albatross for your comments, too!

I am 1.7+m tall weighing 63kg, so having a carbon seatpost will be good? How much weight loss are we talking about if I buy a compatible length and diameter seatpost? I find it so troublesome to keep adjusting the seatpost when folding the bike -- do you know if there are any superlight aluminium seatposts I can swap to?
But then, carbon is supposed to be forgiving of vibrations -- a good thing to have perhaps?

As for the brakes, I find the stock ones effective enough but does changing to xt brakes result in a good weight loss? I think a loss of 100g here and there will definitely help in my pursuit of shaving the weight down to 8.8kg... *drool*

Quote:
"Formerly posted by albatross: ya regarding carbon seat posts. your weight does play a part, if u are heavy, try not to use carbon. regarding the v-brakes if i am not wrong is Kinetix pro  , which is good already, if u still have doubts, u can wait for someone to sell shimano XT v-brakes in the market place, it can go as low as $50 for a pair sometimes. no point to buy brand new as it will cost about $1XX.

ya, kore saddles are horrid, i was unlucky, my stock is kore I-beam post and saddle. have to change the entire shit :( 
"

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th May 2015 8:55 PM    Quote and Reply

One more question to Tern experts here:
What parts need to be changed if I want to emulate an X20's 20 speed range without incurring weight gain?
I probably don't need the speed range but this is a theoretical exercise in understanding the mechanics of foldie gear systems... Can I say that

1) Crankset has to be changed to dual crank compact type
2) FD and associated shifter needs to be added
3) RD needs to be changed

Thanks all!
Happy Mother's Day!

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th May 2015 10:24 PM    Quote and Reply

your weight is ok for carbon post (the cut off is about 80kg) But IMO is still would not recommend it as a big hassle to use it, etc..the torque strength must be correct when u tighten the screws and the quick release clamp cannot over tighten. In short i live in fear of over tightening and of it snapping or cracking. Alternatively u can use light aluminum like : litepro or control tech seatposts.

for XT brakes, definitely is lighter, but small amt only maybe around 0.30g or so, not really noticable.

for 20 speed range. RD no need to change. But make sure your frame as a braze-on protruding out. if not u have to buy an adaptor to enable the FD to clamp on: Litepro K-Series Braze-On FD Clamp Adapter

Regular Forumer
871 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 13th May 2015 10:57 PM    Quote and Reply

The x10 is oredi pretty light why do u want to spend a huge amount of money juz to shave off another 700g?? It is not like shaving the 700g would make ur x10 alot faster... Its juz not worth spending so much on upgrades as the stock x10 comes wif pretty decent parts. Adding a front de will add weight to ur bike also. So it seems controversial....

Regular Forumer
93 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 15th May 2015 11:29 AM    Quote and Reply

he wanna climb slope and is a weight weenie

Regular Forumer
871 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings