Topic: fast foldable bike

Posted on: 9th Apr 2015 7:11 PM    Quote and Reply

I'm looking for a foldable bike to "replace" my road bike. Want to cycle to work but just couldn't find a safe spot to park. Foldable will be best as it can go under my desk. Am looking at foldable mini velo as mini velo give the closest feel to road bike. Dahon dash, tyrell fx is my choice. However I think tyrell fx is abit out of budget. My budget is about 1.2k with upgrades (Road bike gearing and handle bar). Does anyone know where can I get the dahon dash or maybe recommending something that can go as fast as road bike. I heard tern is fast but certain models only. 

Ps: I know it a lot of the speed depends on the rider. In case I often anyone here.  
Regular Forumer
15 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Apr 2015 10:07 PM    Quote and Reply

Just a thing to note, changing to a drop bar will affect the foldability of the bike. So it might not fit under your table anymore of that's an important criteria for you.

Regular Forumer
33 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Apr 2015 11:14 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kenshinz: Just a thing to note, changing to a drop bar will affect the foldability of the bike. So it might not fit under your table anymore of that's an important criteria for you."

Do you mean it's difficult or impossible to fold it with the drop bar? 

Regular Forumer
15 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Apr 2015 12:12 PM    Quote and Reply

what he means is that, if folded, it may not be   compact enuff to fit under your desk.. it can still be folded however, just not compact enuff

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Apr 2015 8:24 PM    Quote and Reply

yes bull horn is the best option if you 'feel' that straight bar is not roadie/fast enough

Regular Forumer
32 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2015 5:10 PM    Quote and Reply

To be honest, I feel that the term "fast" in any sort of bike, even a folding bikes depends on the wheelset. I think hubs, gearing ratios and most importantly your thigh muscles are what makes a fast bike, unless you want a bike that rolls smooth under light pedalling then it's about the wheelset. Just my personal opinion!

Then again it's personal preference and geometry of the bike.

Regular Forumer
188 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 23rd Apr 2015 3:58 PM    Quote and Reply

If you are looking for a compact folding bike, easy to carry on the train and bus i would recommend a Brompton. No other foldies come close to it's compactness. At work you can just park the bike under your work desk. Easy to fold and unfold.

Freshie Forumer
5 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 24th Apr 2015 7:47 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by tyrant18: To be honest, I feel that the term "fast" in any sort of bike, even a folding bikes depends on the wheelset. I think hubs, gearing ratios and most importantly your thigh muscles are what makes a fast bike, unless you want a bike that rolls smooth under light pedalling then it's about the wheelset. Just my personal opinion!

Then again it's personal preference and geometry of the bike."

I do understand leg power is the key. But without the right gears we can't hit that speed too. I'm still wondering how much will wheelset help? Cos it's really a huge investment.  

Regular Forumer
15 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Apr 2015 7:49 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by paddy: If you are looking for a compact folding bike, easy to carry on the train and bus i would recommend a Brompton. No other foldies come close to it's compactness. At work you can just park the bike under your work desk. Easy to fold and unfold."

Pardon me if I'm wrong. But I don't think brompton are made to be fast. Unlike bike friday tern vector.  These are the bikes I'm looking for. but I can't agree enough brompton can be super compact once fold up. 

Regular Forumer
15 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Apr 2015 11:15 AM    Quote and Reply

imho;

the best and fastest folding bike for your budget is the tonino lamborghini

can put drop bar, etc etc

cheap too at sub 1k.

Regular Forumer
112 posts
Forum Rep: 11

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Apr 2015 3:17 PM    Quote and Reply

Part upgrades are very debatable. I used BCW lubricant for my wheels. I got it for $25, just search "BCW" on facebook. I'm in no way advertising but I really think there's no secret to upgrades and keeping cost low.

Just like how you need wet/dry lube for your chain, I use BCW for my wheel bearings, and the difference is extremely noticable and significant.

Before starting on upgrading wheelsets, I highly reccommend getting the BCW lubricant first and lube your wheel bearings, doesn't matter what wheels your bike is equipped with, it's tested and proven. Your ride would go much much smoother with lesser effort. Few pedals and your bike would simply roll off..

Regular Forumer
188 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings