Topic: Bringing a bike home from holidays

Posted on: 26th Mar 2015 2:34 PM    Quote and Reply

I wonder if anyone has done this before. I am thinking about buying a Tyrell FX from Tokyo and caryy it back to Singpore. Paying the singapore GST is fine considering how much cheaper it is buying overseas. Question is will it be safe? i.e. what is the risk of damage to the bicycle? I will be flying via ANA. Is there anything else to consider? Thank you.
Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 26th Mar 2015 11:00 PM    Quote and Reply

i am not too sure about your airliner and how they handle with the bagguages. But as far as bringing it back to Singapore is concern i have done that before from australia to singapore and was not charged/taxed.

Bought a caad10 for my dad as it was $450 cheaper and no extra charges for having it professionally boxed up.

Regular Forumer
14 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 27th Mar 2015 10:04 AM    Quote and Reply

Thank you for the reply. How large was the box in which it was packed? I can only imagine how big it could have been considering it is a full sized bike.

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Apr 2015 3:15 AM    Quote and Reply

Bikes are classified as sports equipment and any excess will be charged but at a very low rate. It is how people play golf and ship along with their normal luggage. I have brought back a 30KG Tokyo postman bike which only cost me about 80SGD to the airline and did not get taxed for GST and it was dismantled and used. Hope this helps. But you should call the airline to check on the rates for sports equipment.

For eg your luggage space is 30 KG in most full fledge airlines but you only used up 20 KG, the remaining 10 Kg can be used on your bike (eg bike is 15 KG), so 15 kg - 10 kg = 5kg you only need to pay 5 KG additional under sports equipment rate. Hope this helps! 

Freshie Forumer
1 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Apr 2015 5:29 PM    Quote and Reply

I don't think you need to pay for GST if the bike is not BNIB (brand new in box). You could always claim it was your own personal bike (which it is) without saying it was purchased from the country you just came from. I don't think the authorities would care that much - unless you plan to bring in half a dozen bikes brand new. That one a bit harder to explain 

I just brought back 2x used Bromptons (15kg each in box) from Aus yesterday and while the Singapore side doesn't care, the Aus side was EXTREMELY petty about how much I bring on board. Emirates treat the bikes as regular check-in luggage but I don't know about ANA.

Regular Forumer
82 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings