Topic: Looking for advice on a cost-effective way to purchase a bicycle

Posted on: 4th Mar 2015 12:14 AM    Quote and Reply

Greetings!

I am a biking newbie here seeking for advice. I am keen to buy my first bicycle for the purposes of commuting to nearby parks on weekends, to the nearby coffeeshops for meals and sometimes to just cycle around the neighbourhood to relax after a hard day's work. I'm not into anything too serious such as going to the trails or doing long distance road cycling. I hope to get a bike that is reliable and durable (last for at least 5 years). 

With a budget of around SGD500 for the bike and accessories all in,

(1) What type of bicycle should I go for? I'm guessing it's what many would call a hybrid bike? What are some of the brands I can look at? I know brands like Trek is out of my consideration. Which model of the suggested brands should I look into?

(2) Would it make any sense to buy a bike from NTUC/Carrefour and then upgrade it? I'm thinking of getting a cheap bike (~ SGD 150) from there, and then go to a neighbourhood bike shop to upgrade the gears by installing a good Shimano gearing system. I would like to have the feeling of smooth transition of gears while cycling. Is this feasible? 

(3) I'm planning to lock the bike outside my HDB flat. Where and what type of locks are good enough without costing too much (SGD50 and above)?

(3) Any general advice a newbie should take note of?

Many thanks.

Regards

Paul 
Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Mar 2015 4:44 AM    Quote and Reply

Based on your description, a basic single speed gentleman bike like 'Flying Pigeon' brand at below $200/- would not even need any upgrading.
If you are more keen in upgrading than usage, buy frameset and components from members selling them here.

Regular Forumer
6,196 posts
Forum Rep: 44

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Mar 2015 7:51 AM    Quote and Reply

If you are planning to have it lock outside your flat, I suggest you buy a cheap bike, so then if it is stolen, you won't feel so heartache.  My husband's colleague bought a total of 3 bikes, cheap, but all 3 got stolen within just days at MRT parking lot.  Some of our neighbourhood uncles also told us about their bikes being stolen outside their flat.  Lousy bike, but if the wheels are still good, the thieves removed the wheels.  But cheap bikes are heavy, gets rusty easily, if you don't mind that, then they should be good for some years, 5 years should not be a problem.

Ulock is a good lock and one recommended by neighbourhood police post, we got ours free at the neighbourhood police fair.

Pay a little more, you get better bikes, but keep indoor.  Most better, lighter alu bikes are usually around $500+.  You can always bargain for free lights (front/rear).  

Freshie Forumer
9 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Mar 2015 9:10 AM    Quote and Reply

get a folding bike, new bike better dont lock outside your house, folding bike once folded, easier to store at home.

Senior Forumer
71 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Mar 2015 10:15 AM    Quote and Reply

Most budget bikes above 200+ already include Shimano components.

"Another cold day in hell."
Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Mar 2015 10:26 PM    Quote and Reply

I would suggest you get a Giant Escape 2nd hand. I saw 1 going for $350. Don't know if its still for sale. But you'll have to keep it indoors. If die die no space, then get a foldie. A brand new Vert V8 costs $398 on this site. Just fold it when you're not using. I don't think its a good idea to buy a cheap NTUC bike and upgrade. Really not worth it. And like the others said, even cheap bikes get stolen when parked outside.

Regular Forumer
13 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 4th Mar 2015 11:41 PM    Quote and Reply

Go for aleoca, affordable and durable....

Regular Forumer
139 posts
Forum Rep: 31

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Mar 2015 12:35 AM    Quote and Reply

urata or harris

Regular Forumer
869 posts
Forum Rep: 103

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Mar 2015 11:04 AM    Quote and Reply

Just buy a cheap bike second hand. It makes zero sense to get a brand new cheapo bike UNLESS you really want a specific color or uncommon type.

Let others absorb the initial cost, but ensure they have the receipt so you still have some warranty (even a few months is good as it will protect you from many problems that the owner purposely neglected to tell you).

Regular Forumer
82 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Mar 2015 4:57 PM    Quote and Reply

Why not JOG to the park.. WALK to the coffeeshop.. And INTERVAL SPRINT around the neighbourhood. Will last U many2 healthful years to come. Save the 500 to buy someting else. And lock urself outside every nite. Wheather so humid lately, its so hot sleeping inside.. No issues of U getting stolen...

Regular Forumer
191 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
3) Demo 8
Login to see your Forum Rankings