Topic: Climbing with 16"

Posted on: 5th Dec 2014 9:55 PM    Quote and Reply

hi, anyone using 16" wheels on road for traveling longer distance, eg. Yishun-mandai-woodlands or sembawang rd-thomson-novena, etc? Do you face difficulty climbing the slopes? I'm contemplating to get a 16" but worry about the climb. Already some times i have problem with my 20". Is it I'm weak or the bike?
Regular Forumer
92 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Dec 2014 3:30 AM    Quote and Reply

If both single speed, can be more difficult to climb with bigger wheel.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Dec 2014 7:19 AM    Quote and Reply

Crank so big, sprocket small.. How to climb.. Unless the crankset is "double speed", sure can climb one.. If still cannot climb also, U myte wana check "knee" bolt & screws whether got loose or not, then use size 16 spanner and tighten..  :)

Regular Forumer
191 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
3) Demo 8
Posted on: 6th Dec 2014 7:39 AM    Quote and Reply

My foldie with 16" wheels gets up hills with no problem because it is a six speed and low gear allows for a good climbing ability on very steep roads. 

The Green Corridor Rail Trail

USER GUIDE (updated 27 June 2016) AT THIS LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zm-k4-KgqwoA.k9gUwceJLAk8
Regular Forumer
404 posts
Forum Rep: 14

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Dec 2014 9:58 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ttimlen: .
My foldie with 16" wheels gets up hills with no problem because it is a six speed and low gear allows for a good climbing ability on very steep roads. "

Plus ur "knee" using titanium bolts perhaps.. 

Regular Forumer
191 posts

Singapore
Riding:
3) Demo 8
Posted on: 6th Dec 2014 1:56 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
My foldie with 16" wheels gets up hills with no problem because it is a six speed and low gear allows for a good climbing ability on very steep roads. "

Hi, when u mentioned low gear, you mean you shift to gear 1or 2? How low normally you go? My old bike was 7spd n i generally only use gear 7, occasionally i down to gear 5 for climbing, but still pretty tiring. 

By the way, what 16" bike u use? 

Regular Forumer
92 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Dec 2014 11:39 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:

Totally agreed.  I am also riding a 16" foldie, and getting up hills (e.g. mount faber) is not a problem, i.e. not overly taxing, given that I am using a 54T crankset.

I have no respect for irresponsible drivers. Neither do I have any respect for irresponsible cyclists and pedestrians. Its not one rule for "them" and another rule for "us".
Regular Forumer
223 posts
Forum Rep: 22

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 9th Dec 2014 8:19 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by worldsofmind:
Quote:

Totally agreed.  I am also riding a 16" foldie, and getting up hills (e.g. mount faber) is not a problem, i.e. not overly taxing, given that I am using a 54T crankset.

"

So probably problem is I'm weak. Do you lower the gears to the lowest? I usually keep to top 3 gears 

Regular Forumer
92 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 9th Dec 2014 10:19 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by keong81:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by worldsofmind:
Quote:

"

So probably problem is I'm weak. Do you lower the gears to the lowest? I usually keep to top 3 gears "

That's the reason you cannot climb hills. You used the wrong gear. Maintain the same cadence as riding on flat and lower your gear when you climb hills. Remember lower the gear so that you can maintain the same cadence. 

Regular Forumer
343 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Dec 2014 10:00 AM    Quote and Reply

Thank you everyone for the guidance 

Regular Forumer
92 posts

Singapore
Riding: