Topic: upgrading java decaf

Posted on: 4th Dec 2014 11:30 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi, anybody has a java decaf 2015 edition? Just bought mine last month and have been riding it on the roads. Just want to enquire;

1) can i change my flat bar to a drop bar cos i wanna have a more aero profile? Pls dont tell me to get a road bike.

2) is it possible to change the crankset to a bigger one like 52t cos i feel with the current set up its a little slow on flats.

3) can we change the grappo on the bike?

Opinions pls cos im reli considering to upgrade...thx so much in advance. 
Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Dec 2014 12:54 PM    Quote and Reply

Yes to all but it will cost you a lot more than you paid for the bike.
$350 for a Tiagra group minus brakes, $100+ min for a new rear wheel (yours is a 7 speed freewheel, won't work with 8,9 or 10 cassettes). Very much doubt those brake calipers will work with STI brakes so add another $100 on for new callipers, $50 minimum for a bar and $100 for installing it all.
I reckon it will cost you $750 to $1000, not worth it  

You could maybe just buy a crank / bb and new chain for  $100+ (your crank is probably rivited so cant just get a bigger ring for about $50+)

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 9th Mar 2015 6:44 PM    Quote and Reply

have you upgraded? i am quite intrigued on the drop bar upgrade? can we stick with the stock gear shift? brakes and hand grip? 

Regular Forumer
19 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 9th Mar 2015 9:09 PM    Quote and Reply

I believe the dropbar is different diameter size from foldie flatbar size. To fix a dropbar to a foldie stem u might need to get a oversize stem extender. Whether it is worth upgrading the grouppo is up to individual preference. But its gonna be costly as u will need to change quite a fair bits of parts.

Regular Forumer
93 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Mar 2015 10:44 PM    Quote and Reply

the foldie one is 25.8 diameter size, seems like only control tech brand has that kinda size, which are sold at MBS. if u want normal roadie kind, u need to buy a new stem with 31.8 diameter for the bars. 

speaking of which, anyone here knows is there any differences between the length of a normal road bike drop bar vs a drop bar for foldies? are both compatible? i know normal handle bars for big bikes on foldies are not practical due to length  

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Mar 2015 8:54 AM    Quote and Reply

I believe dropbars all comes in one size only? Maybe i am wrong, perhaps could look for tyrell dropbars? Or other brand foldie that comes equipped wif dropbars? 

Regular Forumer
93 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Mar 2015 1:38 PM    Quote and Reply

I too have the Java TT7 7 spd, with the 451 wheelset, it suits me very wheel compared to other brand and frames, can the rear wheel hub carry a 9 speed cassette or do I have to change the wheelset??? I would love to upgrade to 18 speed, i dont mind the damage the model just suits my body.

Regular Forumer
15 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Mar 2015 9:54 PM    Quote and Reply

Yeps u need to change cause the hubs for 7 speed is free wheel

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Mar 2015 10:39 PM    Quote and Reply

anyone knows where to get the hanger bracket for the FD? thanks

Regular Forumer
15 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 23rd Apr 2015 12:40 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kindermarki: I too have the Java TT7 7 spd, with the 451 wheelset, it suits me very wheel compared to other brand and frames, can the rear wheel hub carry a 9 speed cassette or do I have to change the wheelset??? I would love to upgrade to 18 speed, i dont mind the damage the model just suits my body."

are u using the Decaf 451 wheelset? if yes i believe u can change it to 9 speed w/o changing the hub. i have a 9 speed fitted to tat.  

Freshie Forumer
1 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Oct 2018 11:08 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi,

i also riding on Java Decaf TT.  The tires is Chaoyang brand.  If i changed to 451 wheelset, will it make a difference to the speed ?

thanks

Regular Forumer
26 posts

Login to see your Forum Rankings