Topic: Do you think this is feasible? (fixie to commuter bike)

Posted on: 17th Sep 2014 5:02 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi guys, am planning to get back to cycling after a long hiatus, with some commuting thrown in.

What I'm looking for now is a fixie (because I like the look and frames are cheap), and plan to install a rear gear hub (think Shimano Nexus) to convert it into a geared bike.

Some questions I have about the conversion:
- Are the Nexus hubs available in Singapore? Saw a thread in the forum saying that Rodalink (Shimano distributor) has no stock
- How easy is it to add a shifter, hub gear, and maybe rear brake into a fixie?
- I'm quite short (160cm), so are there any 650c fixies out there?

Do you guys think this route is feasible, or should I just get a random 2nd hand road/hybrid/mtb?

Thanks! 
Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Sep 2014 5:19 PM    Quote and Reply

I would look for a second hand hybrid or 26 mtb as a commuter
youll need to get a rear wheel built and add brakes plus the cost of the fixie you'll be looking at the cost of a hybrid. Those cheap fixie frames are not very durable either and you may have issues with cable routing ending up with a cable tie job

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 18th Sep 2014 12:59 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: I would look for a second hand hybrid or 26 mtb as a commuter
youll need to get a rear wheel built and add brakes plus the cost of the fixie you'll be looking at the cost of a hybrid. Those cheap fixie frames are not very durable either and you may have issues with cable routing ending up with a cable tie job"

You're probably right about the quality of cheapo steel frames, especially the cable routing part for the rear wheels. Though I've seen cable stops that clamp onto the frame itself.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I'd really like to stay away from derailleurs as far as possible, yet retain the ability to shift gears. So far all the bikes I've seen with hub gears have been foldies, and I'm not really interested in them.

Just wondering, is a Harris fixie frame wide enough at the rear wheel to take a hub gear?

Would love it if anyone has any recommendations for a 26in hybrid bike with hub gears as well, thanks.

Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Sep 2014 1:15 PM    Quote and Reply

Surly make steel frame bikes (check out the straggler or cross check for ones that can be made to look like a fixie) these have cable stops and horizontal dropouts that will take RD's and also allow you to mount SS or an IGH without needing Eccentric hubs/ BB's or nasty external chain tensioners - they look super clean. Think the frame and fork retails for about $700 but you would probably have to order
BTW you can try phoning Shimano Singapore to check the availability of the hubs, Rodalink staff sometimes Bochup about checking with Shimano and just check their own computer and say out of stock, cannot, they have done that before to me. If Shimano have them in stock they won't sell direct but Hup Leong will be able to get them for you in a couple of days - otherwise get online.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Login to see your Forum Rankings