Topic: Where to upgrade group set ( gear) for my foldie?

Posted on: 8th Sep 2014 2:16 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi

I wana upgrade my group set on my foldie - existing 7 speed shimano
Where is a reliable n reasonable bike shop I could go to to do my upgrade ?
The 7 speed I'm having now feels a little basic in terms of speed n gear ratio as I saw a few foldies having like double crankset etc - hope any one could advise Ty n cheers

Freshie Forumer
8 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Sep 2014 8:09 AM    Quote and Reply

I've read on here that many upgrade foldie's at gpbikes but I do all my own wrenching so no first hand experience. I would add that  some foldie frame designs will not take an FD and that many 7 speed bikes do not run a free hub / cassette design as 8, 9, 10, 11 does, they have a freewheel so any upgrade involves either a new rear wheel or getting a new hub laced into the existing rim so it gets prohibitively expensive, usually better value to buy a new bike unless you buy discount parts online and do the work yourself; even then it is not always cheaper

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 8th Sep 2014 6:18 PM    Quote and Reply

TS I also had a similar question to yours but never got round to asking it :)

My gf has a Raleigh MV7 with the stock 1 x 7 Shimano Tourney groupset.
Not sure if it is economically feasible to try and upgrade the groupset components gradually (e.g Chainring, cassette, rear derailleur, etc), as I've also read that there is a compatibility issue with most of the aftermarket upgrade parts.

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Sep 2014 8:57 PM    Quote and Reply

I did my upgrade at hup leong.. nice workshop with friendly stuff

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Sep 2014 9:58 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi Ty for the recommendations) will try out hupleong tommorow n hope I could upgrade my foldie soon-) cheers 

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings