Topic: HELP... buying a foldie but can't decide on which.

Posted on: 5th Sep 2014 12:06 PM    Quote and Reply

Help pls..due to space constraints sold off my MTB. Now looking into folding bikes . That can be use daily on PCN etc not off roads.
Totally new to folding bikes need help plssss.. My budget is $1k but wouldn't mind spending a bit more if the bike is good .

Saw reviews on JAVA FIT 16S & LAMBO... Still can't decide.. But my first Love on sight was Tyrell FX.. HELP PEOPLE..PLSSS..  
Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Sep 2014 3:06 PM    Quote and Reply

Choose a bike that is easy to push around while folded.

Regular Forumer
276 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Sep 2014 3:13 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Shahmatt: Choose a bike that is easy to push around while folded."

Hi Shahmatt.. So what do u recomend? 

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Sep 2014 10:46 PM    Quote and Reply

$1k cannot get tyrell

Regular Forumer
92 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Sep 2014 10:51 AM    Quote and Reply

I do not know these bikes so cannot comment.

Try to get a bike with an internal gear hub. 3-speeds are good enough for PCN and light road use. IGHs keep the drivetrain contained and clean. Maintenance is also easy. You can shift when stopped so good for SG "start and stop" cycling.

There are bikes that fold in half (bi-fold) and bikes that fold like the Brompton (tri-fold). Bi-fold bikes mean the bikes rest on the main wheels. Pushing and maneuvering on the main wheels should be easy. They handle surface imperfections also very well. I think if you expect to handle your foldie a lot after it is folded (on train, bus etc.) then get this type.

The tri-fold fold means that the bike stands on small trolley wheels. This is less easier to manage and navigate. But Bromptons fold smaller so if you are putting into your car, or folding only for storage under table or inside the house, this is better. There are other types of folds also - e.g - Birdy, but try and see how easy they are to manage.

Another important point, the weight of the bike does not matter unless you are lifting it a lot. These would apply to bikes that cannot be maneuvered easily (or at all) while folded. My foldie (an Oyama) is 15.8kgs. With lights, rear bag, air horn, bell, camera etc. the weight must be nearly 18kgs. But the extra weight is not a problem as it is easy to push around.

Regular Forumer
276 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 9th Sep 2014 4:25 PM    Quote and Reply

Asking questions online is a good place to start, but second step must definitely be to see it in person and try. When I started with folders last year, I went to MyBikeShop (MBS) in Sin Ming and it opened my eyes as to their varied shapes, weight, size, carry-ability/rollability, etc. 

Unlike regular bikes, the fold may be integral to your overall enjoyment.

You don't need to get from there, but it's always good to know what you're spending ~$1k on. Leave some money to upgrade and customize your folder. 

Just checked and it seems MBS and L&T carries the Tyrell FX as well - but as keong81 hinted, it's way out of your price range.

Regular Forumer
82 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Sep 2014 8:31 AM    Quote and Reply

Agree with keyven, it is good to head down to LBS and try out the foldies personally.

With a 1k budget, you can look at a few mid-range models like the Dahon Horize or Speed Falco. The Tern P9 is another good option but it's slightly over your budget.

Tyrell FX will be way out of your budget esp now when they just up the price by about 10%.

MBS and C2C carries quite a selection of foldies, happy hunting

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Sep 2014 10:55 AM    Quote and Reply

Window shopping is free and you might find something you were not aware of, so if I were you I would visit Mighty Velo

website

Address, Opening Hours and Map
239 Lavender Street Singapore 338783
Tel: (65) 6396 6280
Fax: (65) 6396 6281
E-mail: hello@mightyvelo.com"> hello@mightyvelo.com

Opening Hours:
11 am to 7 pm (Mon, Wed-Fri)
11 am to 6 pm Sat
Closed on Tuesdays, Sundays and public holidays

The Green Corridor Rail Trail

USER GUIDE (updated 27 June 2016) AT THIS LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zm-k4-KgqwoA.k9gUwceJLAk8
Regular Forumer
404 posts
Forum Rep: 14

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Sep 2014 12:13 PM    Quote and Reply

If cannot afford Brompton or Tyell, then just buy a Java or Tern.

Lor Sor Forumer
45 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Sep 2014 9:49 PM    Quote and Reply

Well if you're interested in the Java, Mighty Velo had a sale on some models when I was there a week ago. Not sure if it is applicable though.

Regular Forumer
82 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Sep 2014 1:51 AM    Quote and Reply

ok, 1st and formal , the bikes that are recommended by the bros are good bikes and the one that u like is also a v.good bike. all have their merits.
 I ask u the most important question, are u using the bike for commuting frequently? or just weekends & TGIF ride?

if its the 1st  , i rather u get either a 20" tern or dahon as they can be folded easily, quickly and can also be transported via public transport.

if its the 2nd, u can get the tyrell, as it is more stable and comfortable and also for long distances

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings