Topic: Aleoca Pratiche Foldie

Posted on: 18th Aug 2014 2:37 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi all,

I have an Aleoca Pratiche Foldie. There is a huge tear on the side of the rear tire although it is still rideable. I am thinking of changing the tyre for safetly reason.

Question here. The tyres rating states 406mm, 1.75" and PSI max 45. Can I change the tyre to a slimmer one like 1.25" - 1.5" and also a higher PSI?

Many thanks!
Freshie Forumer
5 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Aug 2014 2:43 PM    Quote and Reply

Yes u can just change the tires without changing the rim....i did on mine old mtb running on 26" 1.95 tires to 1.25 with lesser thread....my speed increase from 14kmh to 22kmh....extra to note off, if u change tires psi to pump also will change depend on the tires...mayb higher....like me last time was psi 60 now was 100psi...

Regular Forumer
138 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Aug 2014 2:58 PM    Quote and Reply

Slick tires (tires with smooth surface and little pattern) will roll faster. If you want thin slicks you can consider the Schwalbe Kojak.

But me personally I would go the other way. Buy fatter tires but also slick patterns, like the Schwalbe Big Apple. Wider tires roll faster because they absorb road imperfections better. Also they are more comfortable. Currently Big Apples (size 406) are 80  for a pair on the togoparts market.

Regular Forumer
276 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Aug 2014 3:08 PM    Quote and Reply

My original tires PSI is only 45. If I change to a slimmer tires with PSI 100 can my rim support?

Schwalbe Big Apples $80 a pair is too expensive. My bike selling $99 only at Giant now. I am looking at cheaper ones to replace my torn tire. Any bike shops selling entry tires?

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Aug 2014 7:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Alot of those cheaper stock rims wont take 100psi, wider mtb rims wont either. They can be quite dangerous when they fail, they either bend and the tire blows out or they splt and fail and ther tire blows off.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 18th Aug 2014 9:19 PM    Quote and Reply

The original tires stated max weight 65kg which is very low right? I'm planning to get slimmer tires so that it can go faster. If the new tires psi rating is 100, can I pump to that level with my original rims?

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Aug 2014 9:53 PM    Quote and Reply

I wouldn't risk it rims have a pressure rating as well as tires, on a cheap bike if it is not stated on the rim they are probably roughly the same as the original tires max rating. 14 or 15mm internal width roadie clincher rims are usually good up to 120psi. My 28mm mtb rims are 50max. 
the tire may not blow off straight away but if you heat up the rim from braking or start to wear the brake track then there is a chance it could go bang when you are riding. I wouldn't risk taking those cheap aluminum rims up to 100psi
Also make sure that the tire you get is minimum width the external width of the rim  

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Login to see your Forum Rankings