Topic: Screeching noise at front brakes

Posted on: 9th Aug 2014 10:23 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi all, after much research on branded bikes, i decided to just go for an aleoca bike from Giant since i won't have much time to ride in the next few months.
The Aleoca uncle from Giant adjusted the whole bike for me and when i eventually brought it home, i found out the front brake is screeching badly.
Understand that sandpaper and simple adjustment on the brakepad might help after watching some youtube videos.
You guys think i should adjust it or just ride a few more times and see if the brakes will settle in???
Regular Forumer
23 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Aug 2014 11:30 AM    Quote and Reply

Are they disc brakes?
Screeching is usually mis alignment of the pads / callipers or contamination of the pads - saw some idiot squirting wd40 all over his expensive SLX hydro brakes and drivetrain the other day at Ubin ...... - they squealed like hell after that.
Bedding in of the pads is done to deposit a thin film of pad material on the rotor so you get full power. But ride it around for 50Km or so and see if it gets any better
Some of the cheap mechanical disc brakes are not very adjustable you can try loosening the calliper and try to align it and tightening it - if you are unsure you can take to a shop should only be $5 or $10

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 9th Aug 2014 11:56 AM    Quote and Reply

No it's not disc brakes but the conventional v-brakes. I will try adjust it as per what I saw on Youtube. 

Regular Forumer
23 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Aug 2014 12:02 PM    Quote and Reply

Easy then, just make sure that both brake arms are moving, centralise the pads by adjusting the spring screw and make sure the pads have a slight toe in so the front of the pad touches the rim first

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Posted on: 9th Aug 2014 1:33 PM    Quote and Reply

try cleaning ur rim that may has some sand or dirt, some times the brake pad mayb too clean contact with clean rim...but anyway sound will have unless u wan to use a disc brake that will reduce the sound...

Regular Forumer
138 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Aug 2014 2:34 PM    Quote and Reply

Suggestions:
1) Keep your rims clean meaning no oily smudges or things embedded in the rims
2) Check your pads for debris i.e. keep them clean
3) Adjust toe-in. You can use name cards. Search youtube/google for how to.

Lastly, maybe the brake pads are new, need a few rides to bed in.

Have a safe & enjoyable ride!

Regular Forumer
720 posts
Forum Rep: 35

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 9th Aug 2014 2:55 PM    Quote and Reply

Disc brakes are generally much worse for squeeling than rim brakes, the forces generated at the pads are many magnitudes higher than rim brakes.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Posted on: 9th Aug 2014 6:22 PM    Quote and Reply

Disc brakes pad have Resin compound and slintered copper just for info

Certified DT swiss wheel builder & UBI certified whatsapp 97895334
https://www.facebook.com/wheelconcept/
Regular Forumer
238 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Aug 2014 2:28 AM    Quote and Reply

using WD40 on chains and bike parts are the worst. they are usually used to remove rust, but needs to be scrubbed away as they will wash away the "protective" layer of the metal parts.

disc brake mostly used for trail and off road bikes & v-brakes mostly for road and foldies. but i disliked v-brakes as they will tend to "scratch" the rims of the wheel (ie: dahon curve series) have to do weekly maintenace of the rims by cleanning them

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings