Topic: Vert V8 or Hachiko HA-10?

Posted on: 24th Jul 2014 1:50 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi all i am a newbie into cycling and would like to start off with an average foldie and preferably aluminium body. Looking at Vert V8 ($398) which is local brand and made in China versus Hachiko HA-10 ($420) which is proclaimed Japanese (my gut feeling it's local brand also) and made in China.
I am not willing to spend above $500.
Which would you recommend?

Or you guys think i should start cheaper with steel frame bikes that will be Hachiko HA-01 ($245 now on qoo10) vs Aeon 20 ($200)?
Regular Forumer
23 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Jul 2014 5:23 PM    Quote and Reply

I remember reading bad stuff about Hachikos. Some people may use Japan as marketing-speak for "good quality", but the reality is not everything out of Japan is automatically good.

http://maxxuminteractive.blogspot.sg/2013/03/online-foldable-bike-buying-trend-heres.html

The Hachiko review here is a warning of the quality. Not to say they are bad (mostly overpriced for the kind of parts they use) because it's just the first one I came across but it's not a good sign either.

I've heard better things of Vert but it's not as if you'll get an amazing bike at that price. If it was between the 2, the Vert is the obvious choice - IMO. 

Regular Forumer
82 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Jul 2014 7:10 PM    Quote and Reply

How about vert v8 vs raleigh Broadway?

Regular Forumer
23 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Jul 2014 7:24 PM    Quote and Reply

If you can stretch yr budget to 490, can consider the VORLAD mini velo. I am riding this, is very fast and smooth and rather stiff too. But for long distant ride (to me, 30km or so is long to me liaow), you may need to change the handle grip to those with horn for better position (if not you feel numb in yr hand) and change the saddle to something with a little more cushion. Then the bike is perfect liaow for us non PRO rider. Ergon grip is good, I am using the GP4 and an Italian made saddle (total another $150 or so), more for comfort, if not the stock handle grip and saddle also can do lor.

Regular Forumer
245 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Jul 2014 8:09 PM    Quote and Reply

Bro thanks for the recommendation. As I mentioned this will be my 1st ever bicycle purchase this something average is good enough. I don't need something fast, just a casual ride along pcn and ecp.
Your recommended bike plus add on make it over $600 bucks liao.
Btw a noob question: are all fork of foldies made of steel even if the frame is aluminium? 

Regular Forumer
23 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Jul 2014 9:29 PM    Quote and Reply

Bro...you meant you faced frequent puncture with yr Vorlad? Touch wood, I rode for 1 year dun have this problem leh, but I riding on PCN usually. The gear very smooth leh, no tuning done even after this year. Only things are the 2 things I upgraded due to comfort. Can run around 25km to 42km in PCN, but I get scared anything above 42km. Once I tried up to 52km/h but cannot last long and also scared cannot stop in time esp in PCN very dangerous. But this bike cannot hold speed though, big problem if wanting to hold at 30km/h.....but 25km/h possible for 15km distant. I oso want to try out a roadie on PCN and see how...but I not sure how fast we can react with roadie as the brake can be difficult to reach in time unless you always in the crouching or forward possible, if relax posture, not sure can brake in time or not. I not very familiar with roadie.

Regular Forumer
245 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Jul 2014 10:02 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by advancer: Bro thanks for the recommendation. As I mentioned this will be my 1st ever bicycle purchase this something average is good enough. I don't need something fast, just a casual ride along pcn and ecp.
Your recommended bike plus add on make it over $600 bucks liao.
Btw a noob question: are all fork of foldies made of steel even if the frame is aluminium? "

I agree with this mentality - get a decent low-end bike and judge from there. Once you understand all the cycling terms you'll have a far better grasp of what you want from your next bicycle.

My first foray into folders was a brand new Dahon MU Uno, thinking it must be light enough for multi-modal commuting since it's the lightest mid-range Dahon. Not so - it was a pain to fold and carry around for my avg 170cm frame. To be fair, the ride quality was solid, but it just did not suit me, no matter how many online reviewers praised the portability. 

However, I learned alot from that, and knew what to look out for when I got my second folder. I went down to MBS2 to look through their offerings - including the Tikit, MIT V8 (Brompton clone) and Dahon Route. And then I went to try the Brompton at Mighty Velo - which I ended up buying. 

I believe if I had not bought the Dahon MU Uno, I would have gone for the Tikit instead of the Brompton, and likely been less than thrilled with it. After all, the Tikit has a very fast, effortless fold - arguably the fastest among folders - great ride quality and so on.

However, I realized the multi-modal part of it was more important to me than the ride quality. I would not bring a Tikit onto a bus, but I have brought the Brompton on without a fuss. In that sense, a Brompton was absolutely the right choice.

Regular Forumer
82 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Jul 2014 10:20 PM    Quote and Reply

Hahaha.....Yes, all stock, tyre and rims, no change. I not sure about the inner tube, but the tyre is Kenda 1 1/8, is that yours too?

Regular Forumer
245 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Jul 2014 11:05 PM    Quote and Reply

52km at the PCN?  Even 30km and slightly sbove difficult leh.

lots of twist and turns plus technically challenging surface finishes like slippery tiled or rough cobblestone pavings 
make anything faster than 25km very dangerous. Add casual bikers who don't know the difference between right
of way at the left or those mama/papa joggers with kids in tow. The worse are the parent trainors who have a
brood of mini cyclists in tow maneuvering heter shelter with nary a care in the world. 

Put out simply, the PCN are a mixed use thoroughfare for not only bikers but joggers and promenades as well.

Riding like a speed demon at that alleged speed of 52km seems far fetched less you are Evil Knievel's new
alter ego.

going back to the thread topic....

Get the Vert 8......in all aspects it is the better choice. Hachico has a steel frame, well most of their models.
i should know, Iown one 14" type. Tested a Vert 8 previously and the gear shifting plus the ride quality is 
superior to the Hachico, likewise it's part are decent and acceptable. You can check the Hachico's 
parts pertaining to quality and you'd be surprised that for example, the brake levers have the wood type
for adjustments screws.....ha! Imagine that. Also the shifting is super lousy and grainy in feel.

Believe me, the avert 8 is light years away from the Hachico.

Lor Sor Forumer
995 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Jul 2014 12:57 PM    Quote and Reply

No lar, of course not ride at 52km for the whole stretch. I only did that when the PCN is clear, usuually at the middle portion at coastal road. Only can tahan 1 or 2 mins at full speed, leg also cannot take it if ride the whole 6km stretch. I try riding there with my roadie, but very often got to slow down as there are pp cycling from the opposite direction in group and take up the full PCN. I need to slow down and then one of them will shout amongst themselves, someone coming, then they will go left a little. Cannot really ride there with road bike even at 30km, so I use the coastal road instead, but danger is from the big truck that passes by. On the road, maintaining at 35km/h is good ride for roadie and you dun have to constantly slow down as other roadie are going fast too.

Regular Forumer
245 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings