Topic: Foldie/Roadie PCN riders

Posted on: 23rd Jul 2014 4:19 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Oyst3rJianhao: slow down does not work every time....pedestrains or jogger know u slow down from behind than they will play stunt last min swerve out make u no time to react....i always got this from them which i can guarantee i dont even ring or go thru drain cover making those sound...."

Wow, I think you live in a different country from me. Let me know where you often cycle and I will avoid it like the plague.

My experience is that most pedestrians are polite but there are definitely those who are simply obvlious to their surroundings.

I can't recall any time over the past 3 months of cycling that someone has purposely jumped into my way or tried to block me. And I'm pretty sure something like that would stick out in my mind.

Regular Forumer
82 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Jul 2014 4:29 PM    Quote and Reply

FYI i cycle along east coast park and garden by the east to marina bay sands....ecp are more crownded on weekends...garden by the bay east or marina barrage are crowded everyday after 4pm...i can say the those with families outing will go all out on the path strolling taking half ot the path and i had to go the most outer right to filter...sometimes u will pass those roadies going at 25-35km with super bright cree lamp shiing at ur eyes...

Regular Forumer
138 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Aug 2014 9:36 PM    Quote and Reply

I had finally gotten my first road bike after many months of deliberation and also confusion. Wow, compare to my velo, road bike is the one that I am actually looking for - maintain speed at 30km average is no problem. But, one big problem is doing that in PCN, I am referring to the stretch of 6km along Changi coast road. Of course, doing speedy ride along PCN is a big no no, especially if you are doing that along East coast park where they are lots of slow rider, weekend recreational rides and even kid. Riding there at high speed is suicidal. However, it is possible to do speed of over 30km along coastal side but do that only when you see the PCN is clear of rider both on the opposite side and along your side. However, you cannot speed for long, for soon there will be rider in front of you, sometime in big group swinging from left to right, right to left. I actually find it more dangerous to ride road bike in PCN compare to riding on the road itself (along coastal road). The only problem riding on road is the big big truck that often goes by and if hit, sure gone heaven kind. But, the chances of getting hit by the truck compare to clashing on the PCN is muck lower, PCN crashes is very likely if riding road bike at over 30km/h even along coastal PCN. What yr tot?

Regular Forumer
245 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Aug 2014 11:53 PM    Quote and Reply

Officially the speed limit on PCN is 15km/hr, if memory serves....  Personally I find it hard to keep below this speed; unless I'm blocked  ;-)

Freshie Forumer
7 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Aug 2014 6:04 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by pisces134: I had finally gotten my first road bike after many months of deliberation and also confusion. Wow, compare to my velo, road bike is the one that I am actually looking for - maintain speed at 30km average is no problem. But, one big problem is doing that in PCN, I am referring to the stretch of 6km along Changi coast road. Of course, doing speedy ride along PCN is a big no no, especially if you are doing that along East coast park where they are lots of slow rider, weekend recreational rides and even kid. Riding there at high speed is suicidal. However, it is possible to do speed of over 30km along coastal side but do that only when you see the PCN is clear of rider both on the opposite side and along your side. However, you cannot speed for long, for soon there will be rider in front of you, sometime in big group swinging from left to right, right to left. I actually find it more dangerous to ride road bike in PCN compare to riding on the road itself (along coastal road). The only problem riding on road is the big big truck that often goes by and if hit, sure gone heaven kind. But, the chances of getting hit by the truck compare to clashing on the PCN is muck lower, PCN crashes is very likely if riding road bike at over 30km/h even along coastal PCN. What yr tot?"
I find cars along the roads more dangerous with their numbers (hit by one before), than trucks (not yet). Footpaths more dangerous than PCN (hit by many pedestrians before). 

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Aug 2014 7:37 AM    Quote and Reply

Congrats on your new road bike pieces134. Considering riding on road or PCN, there are two scenarios. Road, less chance of collision but high chance of fatality (cases of fatal crashes on road is real). PCN, high chance of collision riding at high speed but no fatality (no cases of fatal PCN collision exist that I know of).

Now let's work out the formula of "chances of fatality". I think it is of utmost safety concern because everyone only lives once. Without any doubt, riding on PCN gives zero chance of fatality compared to road. Personally I would choose PCN for best bet that I don't die from cycling. 

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Aug 2014 9:14 PM    Quote and Reply

I totally agreed. But if PCN limit is 15km/h, is hard to keep to such low speed, especally with road bike, even at relax ride can easily goes above 20km/h. It would be good if there is such thing as fast PCN only for faster speed, 30km/h and above, that will be haven. Speed without the danger of hitting by a motorised vehicle. Slow rider and holiday group riding will be ban on such PCN, horray!!

Regular Forumer
245 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Aug 2014 9:26 PM    Quote and Reply

Actually there are quite a few bike casualties along Changi Coast Road, recent one being a guy on a nice Giant road bike, hit by a truck and die instantly. The tot of dying in such a manner scare me and is a terrible way to die leh.

Regular Forumer
245 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Aug 2014 3:56 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by pisces134: Actually there are quite a few bike casualties along Changi Coast Road, recent one being a guy on a nice Giant road bike, hit by a truck and die instantly. The tot of dying in such a manner scare me and is a terrible way to die leh."

I thought that it was some guy who actually hit a stationary truck and died instantly. This was maybe 6 or more months ago? 

Regular Forumer
599 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Aug 2014 4:24 PM    Quote and Reply

The last one I remember on Changi Coast road was middle of last year - there were about 3 fatal car bike accidents in a week in various parts of the island - it was a truck rear ending the cyclist I think, there was another one in Jurong where a bus hit an Foreign worker and another on Loyang Way I think. The Cops have put some camera and speed trap system in on CCR now which seems to have definitely helped reduce the excessively speeding trucks down that stretch. I haven't buzzed by motor vehicles like I used to, they do seem to be driving slower these days.

BTW We saw 3 accidents / aftermath at East Coast park in two visits over the last 2 weekends having been there with the kids (don't normally go there if we can avoid it), all  looked like a minimum of a clinic trip for stitches or possible SCDF ambulance trip to hospital for broken bones etc. That place scares me more than Changi Coast Road - it's worse than ever these days. OK you're very unlikely to die, but there is good chance of getting hurt by third parties.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Login to see your Forum Rankings