Topic: Foldie/Roadie PCN riders

Posted on: 21st Jul 2014 8:51 PM    Quote and Reply

Seen alot of foldie riders, MTB, even Roadie and some Aloeca rider on PCN along Changi coastal road. There seem to be an unwritten rule ie to keep to the left when riding and most of the season riders will do that. Lately, encountered a number of rider who dun. They keep riding on the right side, then somethime swing to the left side, some ride from left to right and right to left. Wow...got a few miss accident so far, as we tend to ride a little faster along this stretch and we always overtake on the right side, not knowing that they may swing to the right anytime.
How to let them know this rule. I saw a few rider (Just last Sunday) shouting at them to keep left. Anyone encounter this ? 
Regular Forumer
245 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Posted on: 21st Jul 2014 9:51 PM    Quote and Reply

Back in 2008 when I first started bicycling in Singapore it seemed that on the PCN most cyclists were keeping to the right, so I just assumed that this was the system here, until somebody shouted at me to stay left.

So since then I always stay left, and if there is an oncoming bike or more coming at me on the wrong side, I will just hold my ground and eventually they get out of the way.

Bell ringing or shouting does help to wake such cyclists up.

On the weekend as it gets later in the day, it seems that no rules apply on the park bike paths and on the PCN, but I still keep to the bike paths and stay left as much as possible in a humble effort to lead by example.

The Green Corridor Rail Trail

USER GUIDE (updated 27 June 2016) AT THIS LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zm-k4-KgqwoA.k9gUwceJLAk8
Regular Forumer
404 posts
Forum Rep: 14

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 21st Jul 2014 10:23 PM    Quote and Reply

As a driver, my instinct is always to keep to the left, but I nearly had a minor accident today when a couple coming towards me decided to walk apart and make my bike go BETWEEN them (the guy stepped on the grass instead of moving to my right with his gf), when I was already keeping to my left. 

So never assume anything, there is at no common education involved in getting everyone on the same page before they go speeding down a PCN or pathway on skates or a bike. 

I tend to ring my bell generously when I pass someone who is cruising. There is definitely a fear they will decide to make a U-turn at the last minute.

The safest practice is to slow down and ring your bell. Unfortunately, I've found most PCN-users do NOTHING to acknowledge (like turning their heads slightly), even as they move aside to let me pass. So I'm never quite sure if it's a fluke or they just can't be bothered. 

Regular Forumer
82 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 21st Jul 2014 10:58 PM    Quote and Reply

that is singaporean style...in school all these are not being taught so singaporeans dont know how to...

Regular Forumer
138 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Jul 2014 10:46 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Oyst3rJianhao: that is singaporean style...in school all these are not being taught so singaporeans dont know how to..."

Yup exactly.

Also, strictly sticking to the left hoping that obstacles will get out of your way (whether you ring the bell or not) may not be the best thing to do. It is the same with driving. You have to react defensively and choose the safest route to take to prevent any accidents rather than just stick to your "right of way".

Regular Forumer
23 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Jul 2014 4:56 PM    Quote and Reply

It is  better  to be  safe by slowing down. The changi coast track is higher in some parts and the worst thing that can happen is ending up in the longkang or bushes while avoiding collision. This track is shared by everyone and there are quite a few casual weekend cyclist who may not know the norms. Be alert, be safe and be nice. 

Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Jul 2014 5:39 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by SIruZ:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Oyst3rJianhao: that is singaporean style...in school all these are not being taught so singaporeans dont know how to..."

Yup exactly.

Also, strictly sticking to the left hoping that obstacles will get out of your way (whether you ring the bell or not) may not be the best thing to do. It is the same with driving. You have to react defensively and choose the safest route to take to prevent any accidents rather than just stick to your "right of way"."

I never take it for granted that everyone is on the same page when it comes to peds, joggers, skaters, other cyclists, etc... it's not worth getting or causing an injury to save a few seconds. Just slow down, avoid if other party does something silly, curse under my breath, and continue on. Otherwise, say thanks and keep moving. 

Regular Forumer
82 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Jul 2014 7:14 PM    Quote and Reply

slow down does not work every time....pedestrains or jogger know u slow down from behind than they will play stunt last min swerve out make u no time to react....i always got this from them which i can guarantee i dont even ring or go thru drain cover making those sound....

Regular Forumer
138 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Jul 2014 9:06 PM    Quote and Reply

One suggestion is to divide the lane into 2 halves and put arrow sign to show direction of drive. Currently, there is nothing to guide new riders and they may not know the norm.
I hope we dun have to ride slowly along coastal PCN as I think our objective is to go a little faster there, as along East Coast many children and recreational riders there and is not safe even to go at 25km/h there. I got a few miss accidents there, recent one been one teeange boy or young adult not looking (he looking at the sky, not sure why for few minutes) and ride into my path and I was riding with a roadie at around 25k speed. 

Regular Forumer
245 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Jul 2014 1:46 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by pisces134: One suggestion is to divide the lane into 2 halves and put arrow sign to show direction of drive. Currently, there is nothing to guide new riders and they may not know the norm.
I hope we dun have to ride slowly along coastal PCN as I think our objective is to go a little faster there, as along East Coast many children and recreational riders there and is not safe even to go at 25km/h there. I got a few miss accidents there, recent one been one teeange boy or young adult not looking (he looking at the sky, not sure why for few minutes) and ride into my path and I was riding with a roadie at around 25k speed. "

I agree the line down the middle would help - for dedicated bike paths as well as for multi-use paths where cyclists and pedestrians are sharing the pavement

There is a really crazy system on some of the multi-use paths leading into Pasir Ris park. It would be safest to just have everyone keep to the left except to overtake - however the system is: bicycles on one side, pedestrians on the other side, with no dividing line in the center.

The inherant problem is that this creates four virtual lanes of two-way traffic competing for limited space, instead of just keeping the slowest movers at the left side and leaving the middle for overtakng

There is a really good system in Jurong - a recently opened pedestrian bidge for pedestrians and cyclists over the AYE that connects the Pandan Gardens PCN with Ulu Pandan PCN. 

Blog with photos 

Here there is one lane for cyclists going up

A second lane for cyclists coming down

and a third lane for Pedestrians.

The best part of this, was seeing users actually staying in their designated lanes!

Great job Jurong people and NParks!

The Green Corridor Rail Trail

USER GUIDE (updated 27 June 2016) AT THIS LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zm-k4-KgqwoA.k9gUwceJLAk8
Regular Forumer
404 posts
Forum Rep: 14

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 23rd Jul 2014 4:14 PM    Quote and Reply

This is also found in ECP - up and down lane for bikes/skaters/etc, plus a third, narrower lane for pedestrian traffic. It works - mostly.

Pedestrians are always going to be a major wildcard, though they are less a danger than most other PCN-users. 

Regular Forumer
82 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings