Topic: Bromptons/Bike Fridays/etc - Toilet break!??

Posted on: 11th Feb 2014 11:14 AM    Quote and Reply

Especially if need to do 'big one'. Can't imagine leaving my $3,000 bike outside - even locked - and give people chance to scratch, break, knock it over or steal something off it. 

Surely when riding the whole day, it will happen every now and then. So what's the best way to safeguard it? I don't think bringing it into the toilet, much less a tiny, dirty stall is viable... 
Regular Forumer
82 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Feb 2014 12:39 PM    Quote and Reply

Firstly, before heading out for a ride alone, avoid food or beverages that will irritate your digestive system and make sure you empty your bowels.

On the way, if you urgently need to do the "big one", bring it into the toilet, I saw owners of nice or expensive MTB/Road bike do that even when doing "small one". For foldables, it much easier as the bike is smaller and can be folded. If need be, do "it" with the door ajar :-O. Better dirty than get stolen. Let face it, SG is a safe place but not for bikes.

If it disgusts you so much to bring it into the toilet, you can bring along a riding buddy. In that way, you can take turns to watch over the bikes.

Otherwise, just have to lock it outside, do "it" fast and keep your fingers crossed.

Regular Forumer
59 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Feb 2014 3:46 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks for the helpful pointers. Unfortunately I got mild IBS, so very suddenly can have 'emergency'. 

Can't imagine chiong into toilet and come out 5 minutes later to find bike gone. 

Regular Forumer
82 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Feb 2014 4:56 PM    Quote and Reply

Sorry to hear about your IBS, I know people with it and it's no fun. Which bike do you have?

Here is what I would do. Pitlock skewer everything...wheels/hubs and seatpost. Buy 1 proper cable lock that is long enough to loop through your saddle and then through the frame or wheels. Buy 1 heavy duty U-bar lock such as an Abus or Kryptonite with which to lock your bike up to something immoveable. 

Even if you cannot lock it to something immoveable, if you Pitlock everything and put the U-bar through wheel and frame and the cable lock through your saddle it is going to be impossible for anyone to take the bike and use it. They make take the bike but it's not going to be rolling along. And it will look very suspicious for anyone to own a bike that they cannot unlock or take apart.

Putting the locks on should take only about five mins with practice.

Make a note of places along your route that has washrooms. PCNs usually have a few along the way from what I have noticed. 

Regular Forumer
599 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Feb 2014 5:28 PM    Quote and Reply

Just go find some shrubs or deserted area where there are no one nearby and pee.  Don't always need to look for toilet.  The main thing is not to leave your bike out of sight without being secured with a lock.

Regular Forumer
44 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Feb 2014 6:52 PM    Quote and Reply

It may sound strange, but locking your bike might not be as foolproof as you think. The thief can also lock your bike to something immovable; by the time you get help to free your bike, it would either be partially dismantled or gone for good. That was what happened to my cousin more than 3 years ago. Even though the station CCTV did capture the image of the thief, she has since not recovered her bike.

Regular Forumer
59 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Feb 2014 10:07 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm planning on a Brompton, and just wanted to know my options. Obviously I don't plan on taking the risk when I can avoid it - this is for the few times that I will need to leave my bike for a few minutes. 

My idea is to install a bike alarm and carry a medium chain lock. Nothing too heavy duty as I don't want to neutralize the portability with a whole bunch of stuff.

I know nothing is truly foolproof, but as long as I protect it from the average thief for no more than 10 minutes, then I guess that will have to do.

Regular Forumer
82 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Feb 2014 10:46 PM    Quote and Reply

so far what i know brompy has the most compact fold, can bring along into toilet to do big/small business.

Regular Forumer
1,342 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 12th Feb 2014 4:38 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kona-bros: so far what i know brompy has the most compact fold, can bring along into toilet to do big/small business."

Yep, just bring it in folded and/or in a bag. 

Regular Forumer
599 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Sep 2014 10:13 PM    Quote and Reply

true, most of the time you can fold the Brompton (or similar) and keep it near, but for those times when you can't, the Kryptonite is perfect.

Related recent review:

Kryptonite Keeper 12 LS 29.2cm 

The Green Corridor Rail Trail

USER GUIDE (updated 27 June 2016) AT THIS LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zm-k4-KgqwoA.k9gUwceJLAk8
Regular Forumer
404 posts
Forum Rep: 14

Singapore
Riding:
Regular Forumer
276 posts