Topic: Beginner bike under $300?

Posted on: 18th Jan 2014 11:12 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi everyone

i am looking for a new bike under $300 

Would a hybrid bike be better suited for me than a road bike?

I mainly do PCN and road cycling.

Thanks!
Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Jan 2014 12:24 PM    Quote and Reply

If your just cycling on PCN and not hardcore racing and timing is important, try getting a urata road bike, it's a real budget one. You can get one @ $280-320 first hand from a shop. But the shifters aren't the best tho, their in the middle of the handlebars away from the brakes and aren't very accurate. Other than that i do not know of any other road bike under $300

Hybrid? I would suggest that if it's for leisure as it will be more comfortable. You can post up a ad on togo looking for one in your price range. But still don't expect too much. Good bikes come at a priceCycling definitely isn't one of the cheapest sports you can do. 

Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Jan 2014 1:57 PM    Quote and Reply

For that budget probably go for hybrid. Reasonable road bikes start from $1000.

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Jan 2014 6:33 PM    Quote and Reply

If single speed is fine with you, look for them at Giant or Fairprice supermarket (less than $100/-).

Regular Forumer
6,196 posts
Forum Rep: 44

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Jan 2014 8:53 AM    Quote and Reply

For a budget hybrid bike do you guys have any recommendation?

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Jan 2014 3:35 PM    Quote and Reply

Suggestion, dont do it! Spending 300 will get you the cheapes crap possible. If you want to use it for a year or more spend 1000. Not only will it be much more pleasant but also safer.

Regular Forumer
67 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Jan 2014 9:52 AM    Quote and Reply

I think for non-hardcore usage $500 or less hybrid enough already. In fact feel more secure with cheaper bikeĀ if have to lock up bike and go explore. If need to cycle long distance frequently (> 50km) then recommend road bike.

I actually seldom use my road bike now (run more for exercise) and still frequently use my $500 hybrid bike for running errands. Hybrid or MTB can go more places than road bike, which needs more space to breathe and flex its muscles.

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Jan 2014 3:09 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by nolight:
I think for non-hardcore usage $500 or less hybrid enough already. In fact feel more secure with cheaper bike if have to lock up bike and go explore. If need to cycle long distance frequently (> 50km) then recommend road bike.

I actually seldom use my road bike now (run more for exercise) and still frequently use my $500 hybrid bike for running errands. Hybrid or MTB can go more places than road bike, which needs more space to breathe and flex its muscles."

Do you have any brands to recommend for <$500 hybrid?

I can use the brand and try to find a second hand one

Thanks!

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Jan 2014 3:21 PM    Quote and Reply

I think possible to get brand new ones even from famous brands like Trek, Giant, just go for their low end basic bike, don't need to be high tech. Anyway high end hybrid also may not be able to catch road bike, it is not meant for speed. Or you can go for Polygon brand for better parts.

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Jan 2014 1:21 AM    Quote and Reply

If you are really on budget and needs the bike urgently, get a Aleoca. Sounds stupid to some. Will proper care, my Aleoca lasted my 10year and still running without any problem except the usual tyres and brake and gear cables changes and brake pad. Nothing else. I cycle quite often last time, like 2-3times a week. distance depends. Usually 10-20km. At time 50-60km.

But if you are on a budget but not in a rush. Wait for Polygon sale. Can get really good deals.

If not just check out a second bike from the marketplce. Just careful of lemon and dishonest seller.

Regular Forumer
197 posts

Singapore
Riding:
1) Aleoca
Posted on: 23rd Mar 2014 9:14 PM    Quote and Reply

Look for second hand one.

Regular Forumer
145 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore