Topic: Beginner bike under $300?

Posted on: 24th Mar 2014 12:20 PM    Quote and Reply

I do not agree that everyone shld just buy a $1000 bike as started, and $300 is crap. 

I used to hv a $360 GT MTB using 21 speed Tourney, it rides very well but probably not suited for anything too far like 50km ride.  

Chk out the Giant Escape, Escape 3 i think being to entry level with 21 speed Tourney.. its a non suspension bike using 700c tyres, ideal for PCN .. cost ard $550

if u want some a bit comfortable maybe get those hybrid with simple suspension. Giant/GT/Polygon are good value brands for entry bikes

Regular Forumer
73 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 26th Mar 2014 12:23 AM    Quote and Reply

With the assertion that $300 bike is crap, I have to resurrect an old post I have done on 7 Dec 2012

http://www.togoparts.com/forum/showthread.php?page_id=8&fid=6&tid=68245&loc=active 

I copy and cut from that into below

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I was reading this book online.
ACROSS ASIA ON A BICYCLE 

The book is found here
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/31111/31111-h/31111-h.html

A story of two Americans on bikes across Asia,  covered 15,044 miles on the wheel, the longest continuous land journey ever made around the world. 

In their words

Our bicycling experience began at Liverpool. After following many of the beaten lines of travel in the British Isles we arrived in London, where we formed our plans for traveling across Europe, Asia, and America. The most dangerous regions to be traversed in such a journey, we were told, were western China, the Desert of Gobi, and central China. Never since the days of Marco Polo had a European traveler succeeded in crossing the Chinese empire from the west to Peking.

Crossing the Channel, we rode through Normandy to Paris, across the lowlands of western France to Bordeaux, eastward over the Lesser Alps to Marseilles, and along the Riviera into Italy. After visiting every important city on the peninsula, we left Italy at Brindisi   for Corfu, in Greece. Thence we traveled to Patras, [pg xii]proceeding along the Corinthian Gulf to Athens, where we passed the winter. We went to Constantinople by vessel in the spring, crossed the Bosporus in April, and began the long journey described in the following pages. When we had finally completed our travels in the Flowery Kingdom, we sailed from Shanghai for Japan. 

They did their journey on bicycles that my Raleigh M20 will be ten times better in comparison to what they rode on.

They did not ask about what bicycles will be good enough.  They just up and went.

On a journey that did not have roads.

Because that was done in 1890 to 1892. 

Now do you believe my Raleigh M20 is likely to be ten times better than what they rode on?

Hope their account of their journey will inspire you all to up and go too.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That article gone from Gutenberg now, but I have that downloaded as an ebook that I be happy to send over.

The bikes those 2 riding on can be seen here

Not only my Raleigh M20 (for S$290++) is ten times better.

Using that as a indicatior, those 2 American gentlemen rode effectively on bikes worth S$29.  And across ten of thousands of km.  And much of that not even road.

The cute pink bicycle I bought and used at Taiping for MYR190 was also better as you can see below

Further added by me in that thread that I will be kicking up in talkcocksingsong

There can be no question that ours not only can be something like that.
Ours a lot better than that.

The real question must be can WE be like them?

Can we have fire in our heart and steel in our legs like them and laugh at discomfort the way they would have done.

Or has modern living given a lot to us, and taken even more from us.

And a point we seemed to have forgotten in our fixation on money is good and more money being paid is better than good.  And what we cannot do, we will use money to paper over our inadequacies. And with that innuendo that people with no money should shuddup and be small and remain small.

Shanlung
山 龍
Mountain Dragon
http://shanlung.com
Regular Forumer
277 posts
Forum Rep: 9

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Apr 2014 2:15 PM    Quote and Reply

Another angle of those 2 and their bicycles.

Any time you see people running down cheap bikes, think of these 2

Shanlung
山 龍
Mountain Dragon
Regular Forumer
277 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Apr 2014 5:14 PM    Quote and Reply

Bought SGD200.00 classic road bike (I only have one road bike) over 5 years back. Cycled to receive medals on Podium twice (1st Runners-up and 1st position at local events) with BMI above 25. Cycled Bt Timah MTB Trial. Cycled Blue Diamond Ketam MTB Trial.
Good bike need not be expensive. Expensive bikes still need the cyclist to pedal.
$300/- How?

Regular Forumer
6,196 posts
Forum Rep: 44

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Aug 2015 3:56 PM    Quote and Reply

*boot*

Shanlung
山 龍
Mountain Dragon
Regular Forumer
277 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 22nd Aug 2015 6:51 PM    Quote and Reply

My first "proper" bike was a Raleigh M20 and i loved that bike! Upgraded the tyres, saddle and fixed a basket in front to carry barang barang and i can go on 70-80 km trips easily with it and i am sure if i wanted to go further it would not fail me though obviously it would not be anywhere near as fast as a roadie ^^

Regular Forumer
206 posts
Forum Rep: 35

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Aug 2015 11:21 PM    Quote and Reply

not to mention as light as a roadie

Regular Forumer
869 posts
Forum Rep: 103

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 23rd Aug 2015 12:02 AM    Quote and Reply

I absolutely agree.
In time, the rider will know more and decide accordingly.

But note the original post, asking for beginner bike under $300
I am not exactly a beginner.  But I felt my days of hard trial riding over and long gone. Those days were in Taiwan and lots of air time done and with much cycling done alone, I thought then the $$$$ I splashed out gave me peace of mind and body.  

And that R M20 was bought because someone pinched my bike and his shop happened to have R M20  (Cheapo shop as that was his most expensive model)

While my M20 still ride well enough for me, after I rode really good rental bikes that I wrote about in Pokhara
http://www.togoparts.com/forum/showthread.php?fid=6&tid=73067&loc=active&cb=showforum.php%3Ffid%3D6%26page_id%3D1&highlight=

I do not mind if someone pinched that R M20.

Then I have excuse to buy another better  bike.  

Not much point for me to throw my R M20 as I likely to be doing long stretches of my walkabout in a month time or so.  But if so decided by the Tao, I can then buy a better bike with clear conscience.

And R M20 still serves my needs and rides well enough.

Shanlung
山 龍
Mountain Dragon
Regular Forumer
277 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 22nd Jan 2016 9:14 AM    Quote and Reply

I know I'm late for the party but for the benefit of those who are considering a foldable bike under $300. I got a Dura (local brand) folding bike recently from a local bike shop. 20 inch wheels, aluminium frame with 6 speed Shimano gears for $199. I am not an expert on bikes but feels that it is good value for money and serve my purpose well (leisure rides and PCN).  

Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Jan 2016 12:54 PM    Quote and Reply

yes it does, for leisure rides and such. not good for long, fast or tedious rides. Do take care to dry the frame as high chance its made up of high tensile steel, which may rust if expose to too much dampness

Regular Forumer
869 posts
Forum Rep: 103

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings