Topic: FOLDY S series 30speed racing by mighty velo

Posted on: 26th May 2013 10:56 AM    Quote and Reply

i saw this bike selling at 799 at mighty velo,it looks very nice and I briefly tried it,feels ok but there was no place for me to  fully test it,anyone owns one and can give some review?I'm deciding between this and the dr.hon visc p18..
Regular Forumer
27 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 31st May 2013 9:40 AM    Quote and Reply

Have you got the FOLDY Racing bike in Mighty Velo? I am also keen in this bike but don't know it very well. Search for the reviews but couldn't see any online. The question keeps in my mind is buy or not to buy!

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Jun 2013 7:38 AM    Quote and Reply

nope,I haven't had the chance to test the bike by padeling hard and fast due to the limited space outside the shop.and the shop isnot giving any waranty for it makes me think twice.

Regular Forumer
27 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Jun 2013 11:01 AM    Quote and Reply

No warranty? Forget it.

Regular Forumer
598 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Jun 2013 11:32 AM    Quote and Reply

Did you ask them why there is no warranty?  If it's hugely discounted like 50%+ ex show model or they are discontinuing the brand or something it may be worth it. . I don't know anything about this manufacturer but I can't see mighty velo selling untracable PRC knock off shit - there is a risk but warranties generally only cover the frame fork etc and you get 6 months from the lemon law regardless

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 2nd Jun 2013 1:46 PM    Quote and Reply

Isn't 10 years warranty on the frame minimum for any good bicycle?

With so many people riding foldies nowadays, do you need a cycling shorts with good padding when riding one for like 3 hrs non-stop in order not to feel any pain in the butt or foldies are exceptionally comfortable you can do without the shorts and go for 3 hrs without any pain?

Anyone with experience to share? 

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Jun 2013 3:35 PM    Quote and Reply

3 years is more than enough for a limited warranty on frame manufacturing and materials. Any of the types of defect covered by the warranty will manifest themselves within that time and more than likely in the first 6 months or 1 year.
The 10 year and lifetime ones are usually more marketing and an attempt to get people to overpay for dealer servicing and maintenance, than a valuable guarantee IMHO. I had a hybrid from a well known manufacturer that had a 3 year or 10,000km warranty - extendable to 10 years or 30,000km if I had the bike serviced and maintained at the authorized service centre annually or every 3000km. The bike cost $700, servicing comes in at $80+ (parts and additonal labour not included). Most longer term limited warranties have some fairly significant limits that are going to cost you in the small print.
In essence a 10 year warranty costs the manufacturer nothing or maybe the odd claim here and there above the three year warranty (the 3 year will already prove their Quality system) but does make them look good to the consumer and generates cash on an annual basis for dealers and authorised spare parts.
That's why I was asking the TS if he asked why there was no warranty - if that brand usually comes with a 3 year + warranty and there is some reason this particular bike doesn't have one AND it is heavily discounted; I probably would risk it. If there is no warranty with that brand or the discount isn't great I wouldn't bother.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Posted on: 2nd Jun 2013 4:39 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by trek790: No warranty? Forget it."
+1. If both the manufacturer and the LBS who knows something about bikes do not warrant it. This is no rocket science. Its quality is simply too poor quality.

Regular Forumer
6,183 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Jun 2013 4:17 PM    Quote and Reply

It's 45% discount and the model will be discontinued, so no warrenty, cash and carry deal for Foldy Racing folding bike. My final decision in making if I should take risk for a fast speed (30 gears) $799 (45% discount) Foldy Racing bike or get the Tern Link D8 for $850 with 5 years warrenty?

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Jun 2013 3:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Anyway, finally I took the risk and got a foldy Racing. I like it. Fingers cross!

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Jun 2013 3:52 PM    Quote and Reply

I wouldn't be overly worried - the warranty is only for the frame and you get 6 months from the lemon law anyway.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Login to see your Forum Rankings