Topic: pump air at petrol station

Posted on: 20th Dec 2012 2:09 PM    Quote and Reply

I have a 20" folding bike.  With so many petrol stations all over singapore, I'm wondering if there is a need to buy an air pump with pressure gauge - or if we can just use the pump at the petrol station.  Any difference between the digital / analogue air pumps?

Regular Forumer
12 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Dec 2012 2:47 PM    Quote and Reply

Analouge should be more than enough , unless u want it to be precise. Of course a pump is better than having pushing bike to nearest petrol kiosk. Gonna be self sufficient, still some parts in spore dun have nearby petrol kiosk. Like neo tiew, LCK for example. if no pump at home example, not every time go bike shop or petrol kiosk to pump pump.

Regular Forumer
1,345 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 20th Dec 2012 3:10 PM    Quote and Reply

Sorry, I wasn't precise.  I was wondering if there is any difference between using the digital/analogue air pumps at the petrol stations.  Can they both be used on Schwalbe Citizen tires?

I read online references talking about petrol stations in other parts of the world.  Some people say not to use petrol station pumps on road bikes, but mountain bikes with their fatter tires are ok.  Others say petrol station pumps may pump too fast and cause the tire to explode, etc etc.

Just wanna know whether I can use the petrol station pump safely or not.  I don't cycle frequently. 

Regular Forumer
12 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Dec 2012 3:57 PM    Quote and Reply

I done it few years back until i got a floor pump. Dun over pump it and with experience. So long u manage to pump up tyre with do.

Regular Forumer
1,345 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 20th Dec 2012 4:17 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by newtoday: Sorry, I wasn't precise.  I was wondering if there is any difference between using the digital/analogue air pumps at the petrol stations.  Can they both be used on Schwalbe Citizen tires?

I read online references talking about petrol stations in other parts of the world.  Some people say not to use petrol station pumps on road bikes, but mountain bikes with their fatter tires are ok.  Others say petrol station pumps may pump too fast and cause the tire to explode, etc etc.

Just wanna know whether I can use the petrol station pump safely or not.  I don't cycle frequently. "

Pardon my ignorance. I thought all local petrol koisks already converted to digital display? It is only safe if we do not abuse/mis-use. 

Regular Forumer
6,196 posts
Forum Rep: 43

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Dec 2012 4:23 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891: 
Pardon my ignorance. I thought all local petrol koisks already converted to digital display? It is only safe if we do not abuse/mis-use. "

I'm not sure.  I *thought* I saw an analogue one sometime this year, but can't remember where.

So, it should be safe if we set it to the correct psi before pumping the bicycle tire? 

Regular Forumer
12 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Dec 2012 4:36 PM    Quote and Reply

If i'm not wrong, there are some with the analogue needle but it's still digital with the beep beep sounds. Then there are also some truly analogue ones with the turning dial on the right side which has a bell like chime. I say go for digital, been pumping at petrol kiosks for years on my mtb. Haven't encountered any problems yet, but I must say the air from kiosks stinks. 

Ride a stallion.
Regular Forumer
50 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 20th Dec 2012 4:39 PM    Quote and Reply

Road bike tires usually need higher pressure (90PSI & above) to properly inflated where most air pump in petrol station don't support. Furthermore, if I am not wrong,  road bike tire valve can't be used with the air pump at petrol station. That's why having a floor pump with guage at home will come in handy.

I believe as long as air pump at the petrol station is able to support the air pressure that your bike tires needed then it will be okay. I normally pump my hybrid bike tires to 70PSI at Shell station near my home and office. Air pump at Shell station currently uses the highest pressure compared to SPC & Esso.

Freshie Forumer
6 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Dec 2012 8:05 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by newtoday:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891: 
Pardon my ignorance. I thought all local petrol koisks already converted to digital display? It is only safe if we do not abuse/mis-use. "

I'm not sure.  I *thought* I saw an analogue one sometime this year, but can't remember where.

So, it should be safe if we set it to the correct psi before pumping the bicycle tire? "

Not tried analog type, but believe should be alright.

Regular Forumer
6,196 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Dec 2012 8:08 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by DiveNRide: Road bike tires usually need higher pressure (90PSI & above) to properly inflated where most air pump in petrol station don't support. Furthermore, if I am not wrong,  road bike tire valve can't be used with the air pump at petrol station. That's why having a floor pump with guage at home will come in handy.

I believe as long as air pump at the petrol station is able to support the air pressure that your bike tires needed then it will be okay. I normally pump my hybrid bike tires to 70PSI at Shell station near my home and office. Air pump at Shell station currently uses the highest pressure compared to SPC & Esso."

I believe only tubular needs an adaptor for their Presta valve. Those using Schrader valves can inflate like cars at the petrol koisks. To my knowledge, only SHELL supply 145 PSI pressure. Others only 60 PSI.

Regular Forumer
6,196 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Dec 2012 10:45 PM    Quote and Reply

Wow. so high. I dunno leh. Last time few years bak, i go to esso using analouge to pump up my tires to 70 P.S.Y. for MTB tyre. The analouge was easier for me to control than the digital, which i was new that time dunno how to use it to pump.

Regular Forumer
1,345 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings