Topic: Cycle to Work / School?

Posted on: 6th Jul 2011 7:58 PM    Quote and Reply

any idea if there are shower facilities ard the kallang bahru area ?

Regular Forumer
29 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Jul 2011 9:48 PM    Quote and Reply

Is the swimming complex right next to the PIE still open?  Can bathe there then.

Regular Forumer
1,719 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Jul 2011 9:03 AM    Quote and Reply

Wipe yourself down with a wet face towel after cooling down.  It is just as good as a shower and any toilet or changing room will do.  But you have to wait until you feel you are not prespiring before wiping.

Or you can try powder bathe like in the army.  No water needed.

Regular Forumer
166 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Jul 2011 10:47 PM    Quote and Reply

what will you do if there are no poles to lock the bike to and no shelter at your work place?

i see everybody is parking their bikes at one corner of the company carpark

will you leave it there in the sun/rain? and risk somebody exchanging their momoki with yours?

Regular Forumer
10 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Jul 2011 8:28 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by noel-san: what will you do if there are no poles to lock the bike to and no shelter at your work place?

i see everybody is parking their bikes at one corner of the company carpark

will you leave it there in the sun/rain? and risk somebody exchanging their momoki with yours?"

Look for strong structures like column, railings, guard rails and chain your bike with kryptonite kryptoflex and end it off with a U-lock.

But watch the structure you secure your bike with, some time it is easier to remove the structure than to try break the lock.  The thief takes everything and settle breaking your lock at another location.

Better still, bring your bike into the office and put it at a corner.

Nothing beats putting bike indoors.

Just cham seong with your boss, they should understand and allow it.

At the end of the day, man makes the rules and should not rule over us.

Regular Forumer
166 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Jul 2011 8:29 PM    Quote and Reply

I read there are some bike thief out there who uses fake street signs or objects and hope an unknowing cyclist locks their bike to it.

---
Regular Forumer
101 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Oct 2011 3:53 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi
New here..
Anyone happpen to have office @ concourse beach road?
I'll be cycling but clueless as to where to park.
Thanks a million

Freshie Forumer
1 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Jan 2012 4:32 PM    Quote and Reply

hey bike enthus , im interested to buy a bike to commute to school . i live in jurong west and my school is at yiochukang area. i have a few questions i want to ask :>
1. what bike to buy, fixed or single speed.
2. is it possible to cycle from jurong all the way to yio chu kang?
3. how far is it, and how long it might take
4. Last Q, how do you guys know which way to cycle :)) 
Please help mee :)
Thanks !!!

Freshie Forumer
1 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Jan 2012 6:20 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by owenistar: hey bike enthus , im interested to buy a bike to commute to school . i live in jurong west and my school is at yiochukang area. i have a few questions i want to ask :>
1. what bike to buy, fixed or single speed.
2. is it possible to cycle from jurong all the way to yio chu kang?
3. how far is it, and how long it might take
4. Last Q, how do you guys know which way to cycle :)) 
Please help mee :)
Thanks !!!"

I used to cycled about 1 and 1/2 hour along a 27 kilometres route from Ang Mo Kio to Pioneer Primary School on Saturday mornings if the weather permits. After a lunch, I return along almost the same route. I believe on weekdays, the motorised traffic along the route is a little too heavy for safety.
Read the Highway Code and the Street Directory to find out the route.
You may use on Saturdays, Jurong West... Jurong East, Bukit Batok, Bukit Timah Road, Lornie Road.. your school. Perhaps along 35 kilometres taking safety first as you go along with 2 hours. Can be much faster after the first trip. This is not a race, so take your time to arrive safely, every trip.
Do not try fixie or single speed (dangerous hill-climbing with the motorised traffic). Fixies are for track not road usage, unless you want to commit suicide.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 29th Feb 2012 9:10 PM    Quote and Reply

I used to run to work and home, 6km each way.
I installed a shower head in the toilet with the permission of my Ops manager.
Basically its one of those kind you can attach to the tap present in most cubicles.
I keyed in a workplace suggestion to the management for a proper shower installed to promote healthy lifestyle and after a few months of using my DIY one, they decided to install a permanent cold water only shower head.
I am going to get a foldie soon to ride to work as I cant run as often now. I miss my showers at 630am in the morning haha

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings