Topic: Affordable road bikes 8 - 9kg, retail price ?

Posted on: 4th Jun 2019 7:17 PM    Quote and Reply

What's the standard retail price for cabon or aluminium road bikes that fall within 8kg to 8.9kg ? Seems like at this weight, the bikes all cost $2000 and above. Any cheaper options ? Browsed specialized, trek, cannondale, all minimally at least 2k and above. Canyon is out of the question as it's an online shop which would be a hassle should issues arise.
Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Jun 2019 5:41 AM    Quote and Reply

You may want to check out Fusion Cycle if they got anything for you. Unlike other online shop, you may arrange for test ride before buying.

Regular Forumer
6,187 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Jun 2019 3:41 AM    Quote and Reply

well if u or mates/relatives have bicycle tools on hand perhaps buying by parts and self assembling could be an option? There are China Carbon Fiber road frameset allegedly tipping the scales @ 700g!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0oqCrV7LgQ

Regular Forumer
182 posts
Forum Rep: 32

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Jun 2019 5:24 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by pinelights: well if u or mates/relatives have bicycle tools on hand perhaps buying by parts and self assembling could be an option? There are China Carbon Fiber road frameset allegedly tipping the scales @ 700g!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0oqCrV7LgQ"
Many thanks. I believe many of us should be musing to do that. Safety first, perception always problematic. To my knowledge, unlike steel frame road bikes which typically comes with cyclist's weight restriction of 125 Kg, many/most of these carbon fibre frames comes with cyclist's weight restriction of 90 Kg. Many/most Asians should have no problem with this. Example: someone did show me his 3-week old carbon frame road bike with fracture/cracks under both chain stays. He told me it came with a 90 Kg weight restriction on the warranty condition, and he himself was 90 Kg. I explained to him that with his cycling attire, drinks, spares, tools, it was likely he already exceeded the 90 Kg. Do check if there is/are any other safety/warranty restriction(s). Example: I bought some wheelsets with cyclist's weight restriction at 65 Kg (no more on sale). Which means I am exceeding that safety specifiction to use it sometimes, when I do not watch my weight well enough. Carbon frame road bikes are general for road cycling, do not expect it to survive any off-road cycling, with that 90 Kg weight restriction. Wishing you all safe cycling. An ex-colleague did made arrangement with a bike shop for using the facilities to learn as he assembled his own MTB. He had somehow found it cost him extra SGD1000/- more than off-the-shelf model available. Perhaps due to his dedicated specification. 

Regular Forumer
6,187 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings