Topic: Recommendation - cheap market/city bike

Posted on: 29th Jan 2017 9:02 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi all, I own an entry level Dahon Mu foldie (3rd hand) and cycle maybe about 1x/2x a week (short work commutes by PC). Love my foldie but am looking for a cheap market bike for shopping trips and MRT commutes to town (so it would be left locked outside MRT). My last basic foldie got nicked outside the MRT so I'm scared to leave anything worth more than $200 locked there for several hours.

Any recommendations for new or 2nd hand city bikes? Decathlon has a nice looking one for $150 but no gears. Hoping for at least 3. Guess other alternative is a mountain bike but no rack. Want best ride possible in an El cheapo bike that won't make me cry if stolen again.

I'm also not the most fantastic rider so prefer the city bike structure as it's more stable and I might be able to ride in a skirt.
Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 29th Jan 2017 6:43 PM    Quote and Reply

try those neighbourhood bike shops, they have commuter bikes with low top tube for like 100 to 150 bucks

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Feb 2017 12:48 AM    Quote and Reply

There is a new bike sharing. Check it out http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/new-bike-sharing-system-gets-rolling No worries on stolen bike.

Regular Forumer
21 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Feb 2017 10:13 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi Snowcrash, thanks, nice but useless when u live nowhere near an MRT. I'm looking for a bike to reach the MRT in the first place. Otherwise I would just do as normal and get a bus to the MRT.

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Feb 2017 3:15 PM    Quote and Reply

I suggest get a good U-Lock plus a cable lock to lock at MRT station. Any cheap bike at giant hybermart / NTUC Extra will do if you can get over the "ride/comfort" quality.

Alternativel, shop and test ride old 2nd hand bikes at marketplace.

How far are you away from the MRT?

Regular Forumer
21 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Feb 2017 6:27 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi chalion,

Have you tried out cash converter? They had quite a handful of used folding bikes in their shops all over the towns..who knows perhaps you might find your stolen bike there?

Regular Forumer
23 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings