Topic: Which shop has the best price for UT 6800 groupset?

Posted on: 19th Jan 2017 12:48 PM    Quote and Reply

Of course there are differences between 10 and 11 speed cassettes. However, most weekend riders do not and cannot discern any difference. By the time u reach the last few big gears behind, most people will just be concerned with being able to continue climbing. Being able to maintain that perfect cadence is really a moot point.

Sure if you are one of those few elite level riders who are sensitive to everything including gear changes and variance of a few RPM in cadence, then you will anyway select the equipment that suits you.

The point in this thread, is whether it makes sense for the TS to upgrade. Why waste $$ for features that you don't use or does not make practical difference? Only the TS can decide.

Reality is, 90% of riders do just fine on 10 speeds.

And... sorry, can't help it... if one can spin out a 50/11 (don't even mention 53/11...) at 120rpm for a period longer than a few seconds, that person really belongs to a pro team...

Regular Forumer
81 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Jan 2017 3:31 PM    Quote and Reply

TS, the complete Ultegra groupset can be purchased from Chain Reaction Cycles for about S$775 give or take depending on exchange rate. That cost can be reduced if you do away with the brake calipers.

If you already have an Ultegra 6700 groupset on your current bike, might as well just replace the faulty STI levers with the same one ($285) or the 105 series one ($180).

Some debate in this thread about which is better.
I don't have definitive proof either way, but I do have a bike with 10sp and 1 with 11sp, and both feel generally the same to me when going through the gears on the flat and slopes. Perhaps the 'jump' between gears is smaller, but it's really not very noticeable.

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 23rd Jan 2017 9:07 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kevin301: TS, the complete Ultegra groupset can be purchased from Chain Reaction Cycles for about S$775 give or take depending on exchange rate. That cost can be reduced if you do away with the brake calipers.

If you already have an Ultegra 6700 groupset on your current bike, might as well just replace the faulty STI levers with the same one ($285) or the 105 series one ($180).

Some debate in this thread about which is better.
I don't have definitive proof either way, but I do have a bike with 10sp and 1 with 11sp, and both feel generally the same to me when going through the gears on the flat and slopes. Perhaps the 'jump' between gears is smaller, but it's really not very noticeable."

Very decent comments. 

The post owner is simply asking a question as stated in his post title, and here we come the equipment hobbiers.

It's good to see more and more new cyclists around, but it's also amusing to see how some weak riders are talking about how important, e.g., a pair of carbon fibre aero wheels are for them.

Of course 11sp is better than 10, it's by design better. But for those who is telling the huge difference between the two, you are either a pro or a snob. Considering pros don't really bother to post this kind of comments, the chance of you being a snob is highXD

Regular Forumer
91 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Posted on: 24th Jan 2017 12:12 AM    Quote and Reply

Not expected the topic is so hot here :D

Thanks all for the advice, I already send my bike to a bike shop for full set 6800 upgrades, will collect it on Wednesday before Chinese New Year. Cost $800 including installation.

The main reason I change to 11 speed is I switch front gear quite a lot and I heard 11 speeds front shifter is lighter. My normal speed on flat is around 32-34kmh, it feels like the gear ratio is just in between with my front 53-39 chain ring.

I am using 10 speed 105 12-27t cassettes for a long time, because I want that 16t middle cog.

Regular Forumer
43 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Jan 2017 11:46 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by weelit: Not expected the topic is so hot here :D

Thanks all for the advice, I already send my bike to a bike shop for full set 6800 upgrades, will collect it on Wednesday before Chinese New Year. Cost $800 including installation.

The main reason I change to 11 speed is I switch front gear quite a lot and I heard 11 speeds front shifter is lighter. My normal speed on flat is around 32-34kmh, it feels like the gear ratio is just in between with my front 53-39 chain ring.

I am using 10 speed 105 12-27t cassettes for a long time, because I want that 16t middle cog."

It's a good price, may I know which store offered this price please? Did they include all the cables?

Regular Forumer
91 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Posted on: 24th Jan 2017 5:02 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by weelit: Not expected the topic is so hot here :D

I am using 10 speed 105 12-27t cassettes for a long time, because I want that 16t middle cog."

The price you got quoted seems pretty good if it is a complete groupset including the brake calipers.
I have tried using a 6800 crankset (and front shifter) matched with a 10 speed 5700 cassette, chain, shifter. Works fine :)
So actually you didn't really need to swap the entire groupset if what you mainly wanted was a better front shifter ;)

Just curious: How's hill-climbing with the 39f-27r combo ?

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 27th Jan 2017 9:34 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kevin301:
The price you got quoted seems pretty good if it is a complete groupset including the brake calipers.
I have tried using a 6800 crankset (and front shifter) matched with a 10 speed 5700 cassette, chain, shifter. Works fine :)
So actually you didn't really need to swap the entire groupset if what you mainly wanted was a better front shifter ;)

Just curious: How's hill-climbing with the 39f-27r combo ? :)"

Yes, the price including cables and brake calipers.

I seldom use 39-27 unless riding at NTU or Mount Fabre, pretty much enough for me riding in SG.

Regular Forumer
43 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings