Topic: Which shop has the best price for UT 6800 groupset?

Posted on: 17th Jan 2017 3:21 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi my old 10 speed UT shifters spoiled after serving me for 5 years+ and shop said not repairable. So I am thinking of upgrading the whole groupset to 11 speed.

I search a while on the internet, the full groupset should be around $800-900? I went to Rodalink near my house but the pricetag was 1300+

Any recommendation which bike shop sell the cheapest groupset? Thanks
Regular Forumer
43 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Jan 2017 10:45 AM    Quote and Reply

Buy online from Chain Reaction Cycles, less than S$750.

Regular Forumer
91 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Posted on: 17th Jan 2017 12:53 PM    Quote and Reply

In my opinion, there is nothing to gain by going to a 11 speed. 11 speed chains are narrower, which means it does not last as long. Also, the rear mech will be more sensitive to adjustments, due to the closer spacing between gears in the cassette.

In addition, you need to be sure your wheel free hub can fit a 11 speed cassette.

I'd just buy a pair of 105 10 speed shifters from CRC and be done with it. No difference between Ultegra and 105 apart from bling factor.

However, your money, your call.

Regular Forumer
81 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Jan 2017 10:10 PM    Quote and Reply

Agree, just buy the shifters from CRC, cost about $275++ including shipping. Not much difference between 10 & 11 speed. But if you really intend to go 11 speed, just 105 driveset  will do. no pt going full UT. pay $200++ for a difference of 100 to 200g lighter is no point (i learnt it hard). shifting is about the same, maybe abit slightly better.

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Jan 2017 11:30 AM    Quote and Reply

Many people really underestimate the option of the extra cog at the back. with 11spd your gear options are greater and more uniformed. If you are telling me that you dont use the first and last cog at the back, it means that you are not riding hard enough. 

With regards to shifting, 11 speed is more precise and more swift because the spacing between cogs are smaller AND THAT IS WHY YOU NEED A NARROW CHAIN. NARROW CHAIN DOES NOT MEAN CHAIN WONT LAST JUST AS LONG. WITH PROPER CARE AND MAINTENANCE OF COURSE IT WILL AND YES THIS IS IN BIG CAPS BECAUSE IT WAS INTENDED TO.

if I had the money to go for 11s, I will not hesitate to ditch my 10S. I hope you will do the same.

Regular Forumer
11 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Jan 2017 9:57 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Imbran: Many people really underestimate the option of the extra cog at the back. with 11spd your gear options are greater and more uniformed. If you are telling me that you dont use the first and last cog at the back, it means that you are not riding hard enough. 

With regards to shifting, 11 speed is more precise and more swift because the spacing between cogs are smaller AND THAT IS WHY YOU NEED A NARROW CHAIN. NARROW CHAIN DOES NOT MEAN CHAIN WONT LAST JUST AS LONG. WITH PROPER CARE AND MAINTENANCE OF COURSE IT WILL AND YES THIS IS IN BIG CAPS BECAUSE IT WAS INTENDED TO.

if I had the money to go for 11s, I will not hesitate to ditch my 10S. I hope you will do the same."

11 speed is just the addition of an extra cog on the cassette  to enable good momentum and maintain the pace, it doesnt increase your speed as the smallest cog is still 11t. This can be easily makeup by having a better fitness level.
Precision is base what rear d (med or short) and which cassette used, (32t or 28t) precision is slightly lost if the spacing between the cogs are wider or the rear d is longer. an etc is a medium Rear D with a 32t cassette. makes climbing easier at a lost of some precision. so if u are using 10 speed and have enuff leg power, u can go for smaller cassette cogs with 23t, which the shifting will be as precise as a 11speed. 

Regarding chain wise, not much difference between 10 and 11 speed, IMO. very slightly thinner only , not really noticable. same care and maintenace  to be given as like the 10 speed chain

The good thing is that the prices of 11 speed driveset has dramatically decrease over the months as the 3 competing companies are rushing for the 12 speed range. It is a good time to upgrade if your budget permits.

Ultimately its up to TS if he wants to upgrade, both has its merits

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Jan 2017 10:05 PM    Quote and Reply

Best price would definitely be from chainreactioncycles. If not, getting from rodalink(woodlands) at around 900SGD++ with installation is a good choice too. Hope this helps,thanks.

Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Jan 2017 9:26 AM    Quote and Reply

Try ChainReaction Cycles as suggested.
Usually item arrives within a week.

11sp has become the 'norm' and that economy of scale means that the price has come down a lot and close to (if not cheaper) than 10sp.

Regular Forumer
91 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 19th Jan 2017 11:32 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by albatross:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Imbran: Many people really underestimate the option of the extra cog at the back. with 11spd your gear options are greater and more uniformed. If you are telling me that you dont use the first and last cog at the back, it means that you are not riding hard enough. 

if I had the money to go for 11s, I will not hesitate to ditch my 10S. I hope you will do the same."

11 speed is just the addition of an extra cog on the cassette  to enable good momentum and maintain the pace, it doesnt increase your speed as the smallest cog is still 11t. This can be easily makeup by having a better fitness level.
Precision is base what rear d (med or short) and which cassette used, (32t or 28t) precision is slightly lost if the spacing between the cogs are wider or the rear d is longer. an etc is a medium Rear D with a 32t cassette. makes climbing easier at a lost of some precision. so if u are using 10 speed and have enuff leg power, u can go for smaller cassette cogs with 23t, which the shifting will be as precise as a 11speed. 

Regarding chain wise, not much difference between 10 and 11 speed, IMO. very slightly thinner only , not really noticable. same care and maintenace  to be given as like the 10 speed chain

The good thing is that the prices of 11 speed driveset has dramatically decrease over the months as the 3 competing companies are rushing for the 12 speed range. It is a good time to upgrade if your budget permits.

Ultimately its up to TS if he wants to upgrade, both has its merits

"

Yup i agree with you on the precision and the thing about chain maintenance. Although I did not in any way mention that 11s can make you faster.

Its the way the gears are arranged in ratio. 

For example

6700 11-28 (10s) ratio goes like this 11-28 : 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, 24, 28
6800 11-28 (11s) ratio goes like this 11-28: 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28

DO YOU SEE THAT, 10s jumps 4 teeth from 24-28, whereas 11s is more uniformed jumping 3 teeth from 25-28 BECAUSE OF THAT EXTRA COG. And if you dont know the difference of 1 tooth at the back, then like I mentioned before, you havent been riding hard enough.

11s makes you more efficient. Period.

To say that there is no difference between 10 and 11 is not an opinion, its pure ignorance. But hey, thats my opinion, I dont think anyone bothers with the explanation above anyway.

Regular Forumer
11 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Jan 2017 12:01 PM    Quote and Reply

It's one faster, isn't it?  Its not ten gears.  You see, most guys will be riding Lim Chu Kang at ten.  You're on the tenth gear, all the way up.  Where do you go from there?  Where?

Why don't you just make ten faster and make ten be the top number and make that a little faster?

This bike goes to eleven.

:)

Regular Forumer
70 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Jan 2017 12:30 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ChrisB: It's one faster, isn't it?  Its not ten gears.  You see, most guys will be riding Lim Chu Kang at ten.  You're on the tenth gear, all the way up.  Where do you go from there?  Where?

Why don't you just make ten faster and make ten be the top number and make that a little faster?

This bike goes to eleven.

:)"

I have read your post 8 times and I dont understand what you are trying to say so forgive me if I get you wrong :)

If what I assume is correct, you are suggesting to make the 11T a 10T? If that is the case, I think the diameter of a 10T cog is too small too fit into any freehub. It might be even smaller than the lockring itself.

With regards to the question, "Where do you go from there? Where?". Again, i am not quite sure what you mean but if you want there are a few ways. One is to go to NTU and do short climbs or head straight towards jalan buroh. If you are going the other way, can head to Neo Tiew then Mandai perhaps. I dunno man, your call.

BUT

If what you are asking is after the smallest cog, where do you go? Then, if you top out at that cog and need more speed, you can:

1. Spin away, higher cadence.
2. Go and look for a pro team to join. (I doubt anyone can spin 53/11 at 120rpm, thats about 80-90km/h? at LCK?)

:)

Regular Forumer
11 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings