Topic: Need recommendation for Bike (Hybrid or MTB)

Posted on: 27th Nov 2015 8:48 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi, I am to get either MTB or Hybrid for leisure cycling. I am new to bike thus need recommendation from experts here. Budget would be less than $350 as i am new so dun wanna invest so much into it first. I am 173 tall and weigh 110kg.
Am looking at 2015 Polygon Heist 2.0

D
o advise if experts here have any other recommendation?
Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Nov 2015 11:40 AM    Quote and Reply

I used to ride Polygon Heist 3. Overall I can say it is a decent bike and serve its purpose well. However, 1 thing you probably want to think about, will you be riding on smooth surface all/most of the time? If the answer is yes, probably better for you to get Helios F1 for $100 more. From personal experience, i ride on the streets and pcn all the time, heist did not satisfy my need. It is slow to accelerate and heavy. Basically this hybrid is not best of both world (road and off road), more like neither here nor there kind of bike. It lasted less than 3months before I sell it away. You can probably think of either getting MTB or road, I wouldnt recommend hybrid having ridden one.

Regular Forumer
44 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Riding:
Posted on: 27th Nov 2015 12:05 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks.. For MTB what do you recommend?

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Nov 2015 12:23 PM    Quote and Reply

polygon xtrada for your budget +$150 more. decent good parts. But of course theres a lot of 2nd MTB bikes in the market place here that may fit your budgets

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 27th Nov 2015 2:15 PM    Quote and Reply

Saw at Big Box there is a brand called Cronus. Any review for the bike? I think the model is Cronus Rapid 26" 

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Nov 2015 2:15 PM    Quote and Reply

Yes, polygon will be a good start.

Regular Forumer
44 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Riding:
Posted on: 27th Nov 2015 4:03 PM    Quote and Reply

i saw bike with mechnical disc brake and those traditional brake. Which will be better and easier in terms of maintenance.

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Nov 2015 10:35 AM    Quote and Reply

Easier to maintain I would go with traditional brakes.

Regular Forumer
599 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 29th Nov 2015 3:05 PM    Quote and Reply

Mechanical disc brakes like bb7's are pretty easy to maintain, change out the stock resin pads for something like Kool Stop semi metallics and all it needs is the occasional cleaning of the rotor with isopropyl alcohol or just soapy water and occasional turn of pad adjuster by hand. The canti's on my CX bike are more fiddly  and time consuming to Keep adjusted than the bb7s on my hard tail.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Login to see your Forum Rankings