Topic: An affordable bike to ride around home. Anyone know?

Posted on: 30th Sep 2015 1:01 AM    Quote and Reply

Im a foreign student in Singapore, want to find an affordable bike in Singapore ( 100~400 SGD ) . I see that  Trek , Giant're good, but on its website doesnt display the price. I plan to buy a bike on this http://bicycles.sg/shop/?max_price=900&min_price=800 . Is it a good choice? I just go around my HDB to have lunch and MRT to go to school. Finally, how can I maintenance it and pump tyres. Thank you everyone
Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Vietnam
Posted on: 30th Sep 2015 10:54 PM    Quote and Reply

Depend on which location you stay in and what type of bike you want to use. Casue sometime people might steal your bicycle part or the bike itself. Doing Normal daily activity if no rush can have a MTB casue durable and would casue any issue.

Go Ride ur life Out
Regular Forumer
44 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Oct 2015 10:59 PM    Quote and Reply

If you are looking for something to just lock up at the mrt station i would not spend more then $200SGD on it. You would want it to look normal and cheap. That way at least that will deter thieves to look at other bikes instead of yours when they need to take something for a ride.

Even at $200 it should be more than enough for your desired purpose to just riding around your flat area and nothing else. For maintenance it would probably be easy to just bring it back to the store if you are not interested in learning how to do it yourself because there it quite a bit to learn depending what type of bike you get. And at least buy a small tire pump because that is something you will have to do probably every 2-3 weeks when the air comes out.

Regular Forumer
26 posts

Canada
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Oct 2015 11:19 PM    Quote and Reply

Get those $69 or $99 bike in Giant is good enough. Buy a bicycle lock from Qoo10 or neighbourhood bike shop and you are ready to go.

A bike pump cost less than $30, or you can go any neighbourhood bike shop.

Regular Forumer
43 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Oct 2015 1:16 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Azreal911: If you are looking for something to just lock up at the mrt station i would not spend more then $200SGD on it. You would want it to look normal and cheap. That way at least that will deter thieves to look at other bikes instead of yours when they need to take something for a ride.

Even at $200 it should be more than enough for your desired purpose to just riding around your flat area and nothing else. For maintenance it would probably be easy to just bring it back to the store if you are not interested in learning how to do it yourself because there it quite a bit to learn depending what type of bike you get. And at least buy a small tire pump because that is something you will have to do probably every 2-3 weeks when the air comes out."

Thank you, but one more question . Should I go by bike on street or pedestrian way only? Because I've thought about cycling to my school. The distance's about 5 - 10 km. I dont know whether traffic in Singapore suitable for biker or not

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Vietnam
Posted on: 2nd Oct 2015 1:17 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by weelit: Get those $69 or $99 bike in Giant is good enough. Buy a bicycle lock from Qoo10 or neighbourhood bike shop and you are ready to go.

A bike pump cost less than $30, or you can go any neighbourhood bike shop."

Yeah, thank you . You had the same idea with me, I plan to buy the Aleoca Bike in Giant or NTUC

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Vietnam
Posted on: 2nd Oct 2015 2:18 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Thientran9999:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Azreal911: If you are looking for something to just lock up at the mrt station i would not spend more then $200SGD on it. You would want it to look normal and cheap. That way at least that will deter thieves to look at other bikes instead of yours when they need to take something for a ride.

Even at $200 it should be more than enough for your desired purpose to just riding around your flat area and nothing else. For maintenance it would probably be easy to just bring it back to the store if you are not interested in learning how to do it yourself because there it quite a bit to learn depending what type of bike you get. And at least buy a small tire pump because that is something you will have to do probably every 2-3 weeks when the air comes out."

Thank you, but one more question . Should I go by bike on street or pedestrian way only? Because I've thought about cycling to my school. The distance's about 5 - 10 km. I dont know whether traffic in Singapore suitable for biker or not"

Unfortunately i cannot answer that question because i don't live in singapore and don't know the laws there about riding on the pedestrian walkways. Hopefully someone local can chime in.

Regular Forumer
26 posts

Canada
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Oct 2015 5:55 AM    Quote and Reply

Riding in SG is ok. Since your school is 5-10km away if you rushing best on the road. Some area the drivers are nicer compare else where.Try not to be at pedestrain way as if you hit someone troubles is big unless the predestrain way is less likely use.

Go Ride ur life Out
Regular Forumer
44 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Oct 2015 2:23 PM    Quote and Reply

For someone fairly new to cycling, I would suggest NOT cycling on the roads, as traffic can be quite intimidating especially at busy intersections.

Cycling on the pavement or Park Connector is preferred, although technically cycling on the pavement is against the law. I believe as long as we ride carefully and always give pedestrians the right of way, there should be no issue.

As for the bike recommendation, if you are intending to leave the bike at an MRT station, I guess best not to spend too much on it.
But for riding longer distances, I feel that it is worth it to spend more for a bike from a reputed manufacturer.

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings