Topic: Inconsistence pricing quoted at Cycleworx

Posted on: 30th Jul 2015 7:53 AM    Quote and Reply

Recently took over a second hand pinarello and the seat post clamp was badly corroded and the BB also need to change. So I went to Cycleworx last week to get the bottom bracket. When I was there, I asked the Malay guy (in his 50s probably) how much is the seat post clamp and he quoted me $100. In the end I just bought the BB, did not get the seat post clamp.

Yesterday, I've decided to change the clamp hence I went back to cycleworx again. I enquired about the seat post clamp, this time I was quoted $120 for the clamp by the same Malay guy. I was quite shocked to hear that as the price difference was 20% for a week. I told him I was quoted by him last week for $100 and he replied he forgot. In the end, I paid $100 and left.

By the way the seat post clamp was not new. Not in packaging and was taken out from a drawer after some searching. But I am ok to buy it at $100 that is why I went back yesterday. I just feel that there is no standardization and transparency in price. I understand some regular customer may usually get better price but to fluctuate 20% from $100 to $120 is probably not a nice way to do business.

Nice bike but the dealer also need improve the way to do business.

Freshie Forumer
8 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Jul 2015 9:01 AM    Quote and Reply

In the end, you still pay $100 right...? Whether new or used, I believe you will spend more time & effort outsourcing the clamp if the shop chooses not to sell to you.

disclaimer: not related to shop in any way. Can't afford a premium brand.

Regular Forumer
13 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Jul 2015 9:06 AM    Quote and Reply

I already mentioned I am ok to pay $100 for used. The post is to highlight the inconsistent in pricing quoted and yes, by the same guy. Not the point of expensive or not.

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Jul 2015 10:26 AM    Quote and Reply

Parts from bike/frame usually have no standard selling price, ah pek bike shop also same need to bargain.

Regular Forumer
10 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Jul 2015 3:12 PM    Quote and Reply

Not I want to say people in sg. You try take taxi in Malaysia, Indonesia and USA. You then tell me about price consistency. Taxi there don't even run by meter. 

This world is a free market. Not happy don't buy. Pay low don't accept the job offer. Govt no good don't vote. Use action instead of mouth to complaint. 

Peace. 

iHerb.com, $10 off order! - Discount code: DJV648
Regular Forumer
185 posts
Forum Rep: 48

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Jul 2015 3:38 PM    Quote and Reply

Lol.. I see all the replies very funny. Someone can even compare this to taxi in other countries. 

Today u order chicken rice, stall owner charge u $3. Next week u order same thing from same stall and they want to charge you $4. The logic is the same. We are not taking about different stall. 

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Jul 2015 4:33 PM    Quote and Reply

hmm. did u try talk to the boss for the costing instead?

Work Hard, Play Hard, Cycle Hard!
Enjoys while you can
Regular Forumer
66 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Jul 2015 8:51 AM    Quote and Reply

I believe he quoted you a $100 because you wanted both BB and Seatpost Clamp. Usually discount is given if you require more items or is very close too them. He is nice enough to quote you back the $100.

Regular Forumer
12 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Jul 2015 9:26 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by hellwraith: I believe he quoted you a $100 because you wanted both BB and Seatpost Clamp. Usually discount is given if you require more items or is very close too them. He is nice enough to quote you back the $100.

"

No. I asked about the clamp first before I bought the bb when I was there the first time.

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Aug 2015 4:59 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by papabear: Lol.. I see all the replies very funny. Someone can even compare this to taxi in other countries. 

Today u order chicken rice, stall owner charge u $3. Next week u order same thing from same stall and they want to charge you $4. The logic is the same. We are not taking about different stall. "

Actually i agreed with you...  Spare part which is not price tag is up to the retailer to open any price he like... which depend how he see the buyer... if he think u r asking for fun or loaded... he may quote u higher price....

I also realised many higher end bike shop don't like to price tag e bike frame and it mean you need to ask.. and i also believe the price varies between ppl...

When i brought my first bike at one of the outlet along bukit timah, i realised i was quoted $200 more than another fellow forumer here on the exact same frame, year and colour.. 

so far only a few bike shop willing to put price tag on their bike frame and items...

For cycleworx, if i remember correctly it was featured in a newspaper articles about a groups of rich ppl like boss etc who treat cycling as the "new golf".... thus i belived they are targeting at e richer group of ppl... strong/ weak cyclists don't matter as long u got $$ to keep buying/upgrading.... 
So they may get used to quote much higher than cost price... To you, $20 is a big difference but to them, there is no difference of 20 more/less

Regular Forumer
35 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Aug 2015 8:52 PM    Quote and Reply

$100 for a seat post clamp is crazy expensive, it's it gold plated?......lol

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Login to see your Forum Rankings