Topic: Where to find a Jetstream P8 2013 or newer?

Posted on: 9th Jan 2015 3:41 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi all.
Sorry if this is an old topic.
Where can I find a new Dahon Jetstream P8 2013+  - the one with disk brakes?
The Jetstream EX is discontuned. 
After some searching, I found it may be available in Malaysia.  But I don't know what store name exactly.

I will be happy with another "easier to find" folding bike with front suspension, disk brakes, and 20" wheels.

thanks! 
Regular Forumer
77 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Jan 2015 9:39 AM    Quote and Reply

After some more searching, I found mybikeshopsg.com  has the Airnimal Rhino frame.  Then I can configure any parts I want.
I will check if the  frame is still available.

Regular Forumer
77 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Jan 2015 12:29 PM    Quote and Reply

good luck in riding that mini tank. i am damn surprised that MBS even brought it in, previously when i was a green newb ( 2 years ago), i did enquire on the jet-stream, but the owner  was abunduntly anti-mini tank for it and dismiss that i am rather dumb for requesting a "tank" foldable..guess he is the senile one for bringing in this tank too

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Jan 2015 3:33 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by albatross: good luck in riding that mini tank. i am damn surprised that MBS even brought it in, previously when i was a green newb ( 2 years ago), i did enquire on the jet-stream, but the owner  was abunduntly anti-mini tank for it and dismiss that i am rather dumb for requesting a "tank" foldable..guess he is the senile one for bringing in this tank too"

Sorry I missed something. What you mean exactly by "tank" .  Are you saying the Jetstream and Rhino are difficult to ride?
I rode a 2009 Jetstream EX a while ago and loved the full suspension and later found how much better hydraulic disk brakes are.  I will plan to do lots of hill climbing in Thailand so the 3x10 gears will be helpful as well.

If you don't like  the Jetstream or Rhino, then what do you suggest for what I described?
thanks! 

Regular Forumer
77 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Jan 2015 12:20 AM    Quote and Reply

first and formal u requested for foldie with sus. that means in a way u travel alot or carry around the foldable bike alot, hence versatility comes into play. If u decide on these 2 bikes, not only are they small and hard to fold, they are also heavy. hindering u to carry them. u also stated that do lots of hill climbing , hill climbing with small heavy bikes are really tough, unless u have a kick in sweating buckets. Also upgrading, if u plan to, will be a problem as these bikes mostly are propreietary

SInce you like foldie in a way with sus, Montague MTB bikes are a good recommendation. First, they can be folded easily, 2nd they retain the toughness of regular bikes without breaking the main frame(not indestructable though). they are also 26" wheels, making it easier to ride & climb hills, easily upgradable & lastly they are also easy to carry around inside a bag.  

Regular Forumer
871 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 12th Jan 2015 9:29 AM    Quote and Reply

thanks for the post and explaining.
Yes, I did ask for a foldie. But that has more to do with storable than transportable.  If transportable was a heigher priority, then something like a Brompton is much better.
I will check the  Montague MTB suggestion, better if it uses all standard size parts & a group-set.

Regular Forumer
77 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Jan 2015 10:45 PM    Quote and Reply

all standard size parts and upgradable , i upgrade mine from stock to XT groupsets. only need to take note of 2 things when upgrading, the fork and handlebars. the fork has to be QR & handlebars cannot be too long ( better to stick between 60 to 65cm)

Regular Forumer
871 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 12th Dec 2016 11:33 AM    Quote and Reply

I own a Jetstream P8, 2013/14 version with decent parts. My first bike, ever (yes, deprived childhood).

Yes, it's heavy, but it's tough & a thing of beauty. Can't say the same for the newer version which although complete with disc brakes, comes with cheap parts, and that color scheme...simply looks cheap.

Although I've since taken up road biking, with a bike of almost half Jetstream's weight, I still work on my Jetstream (as hobby) & ride it for leisure. Don't be fooled by it's weight, I can push it's speed to 40km/h on flat road if I paddle real hard on straight run of about 150m. I'm sure I will do better if I ditch the Marathon Supreme tyres for lighter and slimmer rubber but for now I will stick to the more reliable and comfortable MS.

I have done numerous mod and upgrades in the last 2 years, more recent being a new German A Kilo suspension fork (got a great deal from MBS) and in the process forced to change to disc brakes.

I've done over 80% modifications to my Jetstream. Other than the frame and rear suspension, everything has been changed. To me, other than weight, it's a rare gem.

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings