Topic: Road bikes retailing for $1000 more than the recommended price

Posted on: 16th Sep 2014 11:11 PM    Quote and Reply

I recently moved in to Singapore, and being a bike enthusiast, I have to say that I am utterly dissapointed at the bike shop scene here.

I happened to visit a few bike shops last week at Vertex (Ubi) and was startled to see the retail price of road bikes here.

For instance, both the Cannondale and Specialized shops told me prices for the SuperSix and the Tarmac, which were both S$1000 more than the recommended retail price in the US (after conversion). Even if I factor GST, I still don't seem to explain myself the prices.

One of my friends says that its because of transport, which I don't understand, because these bikes are made in Taiwan. Surely Taiwan->Singapore has to be cheaper than Taiwan->US.

In addition to this, I was told there would be no further discounts, and bare minimum free goodies. (One bike shop even refused that!)

Surely, bike shops in Singapore have a lot of explaining to do. 
Freshie Forumer
6 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Sep 2014 11:17 PM    Quote and Reply

Thats why most of us use online shops

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 17th Sep 2014 6:17 AM    Quote and Reply

I believe at least one LBS here selling the same model at higher price than the local distributor. Some members here selling their used bikes at higher prices than the new ones with warranty at LBS.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Sep 2014 8:45 AM    Quote and Reply

This is what u call C.O.E included.

Freshie Forumer
6 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Sep 2014 9:08 AM    Quote and Reply

I think this is mostlyi due to the tax at the custom.

Regular Forumer
197 posts

Singapore
Riding:
1) Aleoca
Posted on: 17th Sep 2014 9:24 AM    Quote and Reply

How much went to online deals over the years? At any point in time, a foreign online shop offers FREE shipping! I can imagine how much $$$ they can secure from singapore. The amount is so BIG that they even offer DHL express FREE for many customers here I believe. I just ordered last Thursday and got it on Monday. Wow! With our cheap labour market here, other then high mark up, I can only come to believe that the landlords are the main profiteers. End of the day, consumers and LBS are both losers. Well, we have a choice don't we?

Regular Forumer
12 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Sep 2014 10:32 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by James021285: I think this is mostlyi due to the tax at the custom."

Import duty and taxes are very low or none existent in SG on most things except for cars, booze and cigarettes, 7% GST is well below average for the developed world. Labour costs are also very low, rent is expensive and the Govt is not really bothered about some of the and anti competition and restrictive trade practices that are illegal in Europe or the US. CASE are still very much reactive, based upon complaints, as opposed to proactive such as the EU or US and the courts don't really want to get involved unless it is an out and out scam.
I don't really mind this hands off approach as long as they don't start to introduce taxes and duties that unfairly discriminate against those of us that do buy online overseas to prop up retailers that are making limited or no effort to address the challenges of doing business in 2014. I would not be surprised if the $400 threshold on GST is cut fairly soon to much lower, but that would be fair to our local retailers as they have no such threshold however the online price is generally at least 25% cheaper than anything locally so 7% is neither hear nor there.
Some of the local retailers are OK though, Hup Leong for example carry a good range of kit and whilst not as deeply discounted as CRC (understandably so) they are still below RRP so I buy stuff from them. I don't bother with the vertex full stop, everything I have ever seen there has always seemed overpriced, same with some of those shops at BT.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 17th Sep 2014 11:02 AM    Quote and Reply

Things are expensive in Singapore are mostly due to the rental cost and manpower etc. If you setup a store you have to factor all these items inorder to make a profit.

Not just bike, some other electronics stuff you can even get it cheaper online. 

Regular Forumer
70 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Sep 2014 12:07 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ozone: Things are expensive in Singapore are mostly due to the rental cost and manpower etc. If you setup a store you have to factor all these items inorder to make a profit.

Not just bike, some other electronics stuff you can even get it cheaper online. "

It's mainly rent....labour costs are 3rd world wages here.

Regular Forumer
1,144 posts
Forum Rep: 24

Riding:
Posted on: 17th Sep 2014 7:12 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by xebay11:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by ozone: Things are expensive in Singapore are mostly due to the rental cost and manpower etc. If you setup a store you have to factor all these items inorder to make a profit.

Not just bike, some other electronics stuff you can even get it cheaper online. "

It's mainly rent....labour costs are 3rd world wages here."

Agree anyone quitting labor cost is the culprit really myopic, rental or anything related to property is the major business killer. We are only working for bloody landlords 

Regular Forumer
18 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Sep 2014 10:48 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by xebay11:
Quote:

It's mainly rent....labour costs are 3rd world wages here."

Regular Forumer
76 posts
Forum Rep: 5

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings