Topic: LBS's that are experienced in trouble shooting bike issues.

Posted on: 22nd Apr 2014 11:38 PM    Quote and Reply

Greetings!

Can we have a roll- call of LBS's whom are experts in trouble shooting problematic bike issues?

When I say issues, I meant problems encountered concerning unusual cases such as 14" bikes 
being installed with 50 tooth plus chainrings or crank sets that make it work. Well mine was
remedied by an LBS in Sembawang and another similar bike at Novena. Other LBS gave up,
and sone other just stopped entertaining my request and queries and just gave the stare and
cold shoulders.

So in the end, it all ends up with accommodating and personal service with experience. 

Without these, you'll be stranded with an issue that can't be remedied because either they
don't have the skills and experience to find a soloution, no time or cannot be bothered 
or lastly think you can't pay for their service and looks down on you. How my bikes were
remedied were very practical and just requires a bit of imagination and logic. Sad to say,
that's where the difference of a common mechanic from a bike expert ends. Those that
rejected fixing my bikes seems befuddled and just gave up.

Well there are shops who will  access and repair bikes with unusual or out of the irdinary
problems and gifts you with positive results. I thought I'd give up, but the said they'd
access the condition and call me to come back a few days. Well, problem solved!

So can you guys recommend bike shops like these who can fix unconventional 
conditions? I'd like to start with some:

-   Cheap John's at Sembawang;
-   TEF Biker's junction at Novena
-   Sulaiman 
-   My Bike shop Too

Lor Sor Forumer
995 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Apr 2014 3:36 AM    Quote and Reply

I believe more likely the newly established ones more willing to entertain such matters. PRO BIKE, Bike Stop, TEF, are the ones I tried.

Regular Forumer
6,196 posts
Forum Rep: 44

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Apr 2014 11:58 AM    Quote and Reply

I believe bike shops with knowledgable mechanics that can provide good service can thrive in Singapore.

We need people that can solve problems not sell bike parts. Because bike parts I can find online cheaper.

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Apr 2014 5:14 PM    Quote and Reply

Agreed bro,
Bike parts are expensive in LBS but can't blame them,operating cost is high in SG.
Problem solving can always google. 

Regular Forumer
76 posts
Forum Rep: 11

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Apr 2014 9:35 AM    Quote and Reply

I wouldn't be so fast to denounce shops that are reluctant to get involved in "special projects" or deal with unique problems. They only have a finite amount of resoures/time to generate revenue. The amount of time spent on these special cases may not be worth their time.

Regular Forumer
81 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Apr 2014 11:27 AM    Quote and Reply

In general if everything is the same, I prefer to buy things from the people who are more knowledgable and can explain things or has passion about what they sell. I think they deserve to be paid more than people who just want to sell stuff.

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Apr 2014 5:48 PM    Quote and Reply

LBS sometimes very funny wan i ask them to help me check if my crank got problem due to the BB but instead ask me to change the pedal.Now i learn to solve the general problem on my bike.Like this i 
learn more from riding a bike. 

Regular Forumer
76 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Apr 2014 6:09 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by teck99: LBS sometimes very funny wan i ask them to help me check if my crank got problem due to the BB but instead ask me to change the pedal.Now i learn to solve the general problem on my bike.Like this i 
learn more from riding a bike. "

BB's tend to make a rumbling or grinding sound when the bearings are shot; clicking sounds - 9 times out of 10 its the pedal bearings - but it usually sounds like it's coming from the BB. Noises are a pain to track down, it usually sounds to the rider that it's coming from a different place than it is - I've had a seatpost clamp clicking that sounded like it was the headset and a loose RD hanger and shot rear suspension bearing that both sounded like they were the BB.

Regular Forumer
2,624 posts
Forum Rep: 235

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Apr 2014 6:24 PM    Quote and Reply

Yah agreed on that sound are really quite hard to detect sometimes.But i really feel is the BB that's 
making the sound from riding so i ask if after change still got sound i won't mind changing the
pedal also.After that i change the who crankset and no more sound.ha ha problem solved.

Regular Forumer
76 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Apr 2014 6:44 PM    Quote and Reply

What type of BB? Fairly simple job to pull the crank and check the bearings / cartridge on any of them. Shouldn't need to change the crank - I used to go through Shimano external cup BB's on my MTB quicker than I went through chains, they don't seal properly and water and crud gets in them very easily - I use ceramic bearings now - they are twice the price but last 3 times as long

Regular Forumer
2,624 posts
Forum Rep: 235

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Apr 2014 6:55 PM    Quote and Reply

I was looking to change the BB but to my surprise LBS in my area no stock so went to togo to find
also dun have so end up changing the whole crankset(hollow tech).is not difficult cos i have the tools
but just unlucky cos just bought the bike from a menber but end up doing alot of servicing on the bike.
Lucky is i am still able to fix most of the problems if not it will at least cost me another $200 to do in
the LBS not including the crankset.

Regular Forumer
76 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings