Topic: Repainting Bike Frame

Posted on: 11th Feb 2013 8:40 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone know of any shop or contact that can do repainting of bicycle frame. Preferably in the east. If not, anywhere around singapore will do.

Thanks in advanced!  
Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Feb 2013 12:18 AM    Quote and Reply

Look up Archi-Coating.

They are in Sungei Kadut.

They did my recumbent frame for S$54, including sandblasting, prepping, powder-coating.

Be sure to email them and ask as many questions before committing.  This is to ensure that you know what to expect.

I hope this helps.

http://www.archicoating.com/ 

Regular Forumer
304 posts
Forum Rep: 5

Riding:
Posted on: 12th Feb 2013 5:02 AM    Quote and Reply

Rebound Centre at Geylang - get the number from the bikeshops listing

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 12th Feb 2013 10:15 AM    Quote and Reply

just asked Sulaiman, its almost $300 at Rebound but that includes decal replacement

Regular Forumer
284 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Feb 2013 10:27 AM    Quote and Reply

Yep - think sulaiman only does spraying  - so I thought it would be more than $54 for powder coating but they do a sweet job. If the OP is just looking for a solid one colour job then powder coating is the way - want to pay more and get something a little bling and very professionally done I would go with the Rebound.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 12th Feb 2013 10:36 AM    Quote and Reply

Sulaiman's, AFAIK, has a blast chamber, but only a small one for regularly-sized uprights.

Regular Forumer
304 posts

Riding:
Posted on: 12th Feb 2013 10:36 AM    Quote and Reply

Sulaiman's, AFAIK, has a blast chamber, but only a small one for regularly-sized uprights.

Regular Forumer
304 posts

Riding:
Posted on: 18th Feb 2013 8:14 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi all,

I was going through this forum. I own a Raleigh M15 and recently upgraded to a 2013 GT Avalanche 4.0. Basically, I want to make my Raleigh M15 like a subsitute bike. I have been changing the parts since last year. The only original parts left are the V brakes, pedals, crank and frame. I am fine with these except the frame. It makes the whole outlook of the bike look cheap.

The only 2 options that I can think about is either I go to a bike shop or repaint the frame. I hope I can have some good suggestions from you guys.

Thanks
Haydn

Freshie Forumer
1 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Feb 2013 8:33 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Haydn: Hi all,

I was going through this forum. I own a Raleigh M15 and recently upgraded to a 2013 GT Avalanche 4.0. Basically, I want to make my Raleigh M15 like a subsitute bike. I have been changing the parts since last year. The only original parts left are the V brakes, pedals, crank and frame. I am fine with these except the frame. It makes the whole outlook of the bike look cheap.

The only 2 options that I can think about is either I go to a bike shop or repaint the frame. I hope I can have some good suggestions from you guys.

Thanks
Haydn"

Strip the frame of everything and bring it down to sing ming industrial estate. There are plenty of those car body shops to choose from. Tell them what color you want, fix price, done. The possibilities are endless:)

Regular Forumer
181 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Apr 2013 12:58 AM    Quote and Reply

Gave Archi Coating a shot and drove down to Kranji about 4-5 times bringing 4 frames in total for powder coating.

My feedback is that the price is cheap - sandblasting and powder coating for about 55-60 dollars is very reasonable.

However, the quality of the powder coating will not last, the frames will scratch easily and even the mildest solvents will leave a mark.

The powder coating is too thin and unlike railings, grilles, gates, completely non-lasting. It will not last the regular wear and tear of normal cycling.

Best to spray over the powder coat with a layer of automotive lacquer and bake it in a paint oven if you want it to last beyond a week.

Freshie Forumer
6 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Posted on: 11th Apr 2013 9:26 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by emailjoe: Gave Archi Coating a shot and drove down to Kranji about 4-5 times bringing 4 frames in total for powder coating.

My feedback is that the price is cheap - sandblasting and powder coating for about 55-60 dollars is very reasonable.

However, the quality of the powder coating will not last, the frames will scratch easily and even the mildest solvents will leave a mark.

The powder coating is too thin and unlike railings, grilles, gates, completely non-lasting. It will not last the regular wear and tear of normal cycling.

Best to spray over the powder coat with a layer of automotive lacquer and bake it in a paint oven if you want it to last beyond a week."

I had my frame blasted and power coated by Archi Coating about 4 months ago.  No other post-coating treatment.

While not a perfect job (but for $57, I'm not complaining), the colour is still bright and glossy, not scratched, not flaked.  It's been cleaned, rubbed, and 'abused'

My frame is very low to the ground so it get a lot of dirt, grit, whatever blastd onto it.

For the money, it's a very, very good job.  If yours is as bad as it sounds, you should take it back to them and show them the problem(s).

That said, I'm now wondering if I should add a layer to protection with the lacquer.  Thanks for the suggestion! 

Regular Forumer
304 posts

Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings