Topic: Best wheel truing shop/mechanic? In need.

Posted on: 5th Feb 2013 2:50 AM    Quote and Reply

I am wondering if there are any bike shop that are better known for their wheel truing or have a speciality in this area. Preferably closer to central and not at extreme ends of Singapore. I would like to know where I can get the best quality of wheel truing here in SG. 

Or can I make the presumption that they would all be roughly the same? And what's the average pricing for wheel truing?

(FYI I did go into a slight drain on my road bike and front wheel's went off true. Went to a LBS. Wheel is better now but I am thinking if there's another shop which can further improve on the truing)
Thank you.  
Freshie Forumer
8 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Feb 2013 8:26 AM    Quote and Reply

How much did they charge you? I live in simei, and we have a handful of shops to go to in tampines. Just recently I have my rear true and they charged me only $8 and i'm happy with their work.

Freshie Forumer
9 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Feb 2013 10:23 AM    Quote and Reply

FOC since it was the shop i bought my bike from. I'm just wondering if there are some places which are more experienced or have mechanics who come better recommended for this job. They did a good work on the wheel. Just thinking if it can be even better. 

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Feb 2013 10:39 AM    Quote and Reply

Most half decent bike shops can true a wheel as long as it wasn't massively distorted
Check your rim runs true by spinning and viewing it in relation to the brake pads (assume you are on rim brakes not disc).
As an estimate - you can also ping the spokes with your finger, or lightly tap with a screwdriver, and listen to the sound - if their is no massive difference in the tone from each spoke on each side then the spoke tension is reasonable and they have probably done a reasonably good job.
Ride it around a bit if it goes out of true quickly again (from normal riding - not crashing) you can maybe try Lynton Ong at TR bikes (Jalan Batu)
Adenans Bikes - Macpherson
They are both pretty central and well respected for wheelbuilding

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 5th Feb 2013 11:19 AM    Quote and Reply

+1 for Lynten! It really does matter when someone pride themselves on what they do.

Senior Forumer
99 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Feb 2013 1:24 PM    Quote and Reply

FOC + did a good work. Can't be better than that? I would go back to that shop!

I would think truing should be a fundamental ability of all qualified bike mechanics.

I used to have a wheel bent visually and the mechanic was able to bend it back, fantastic job. But that shop no longer around.

Regular Forumer
1,348 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Feb 2013 11:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Yeaup. They did a decent job but I'm hoping to somewhat get a second opinion in a way to see if it an be perfected or improved on. 

Reputable wheel builders? Sounds like some place I should check outthank you 

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Feb 2013 12:27 AM    Quote and Reply

ReEvolution at Mt. Faber, ask for Han.

Regular Forumer
99 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Feb 2013 1:00 AM    Quote and Reply

Recommended for wheel truing? Thank you

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Feb 2013 10:33 AM    Quote and Reply

Yup wheel truing and building. 

Regular Forumer
99 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Feb 2013 10:44 AM    Quote and Reply

Depends how u think of the mechanics wheel building and truing skills, feel shiok with your wheels under his hands and price too.

Regular Forumer
1,341 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings