Topic: hup Leong bike shop comment

Posted on: 12th Sep 2013 9:03 AM    Quote and Reply

If you are a wheel builder, why do you need to buy the spokes from hup leong?
I just don't get it, maybe i'm a bit dumb. 

Regular Forumer
25 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 15th Sep 2013 2:20 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by aLoneRider: If you are a wheel builder, why do you need to buy the spokes from hup leong?
I just don't get it, maybe i'm a bit dumb. "

A wheel builder build wheel and i dun manufacture spokes i can custom cut spokes but that is the last choice if there is avalibilty that would be the best choice this is just my 2 cent worth of knowledge

Certified DT swiss wheel builder & UBI certified whatsapp 97895334
https://www.facebook.com/wheelconcept/
Regular Forumer
238 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Sep 2013 3:31 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by photographer:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by aLoneRider: If you are a wheel builder, why do you need to buy the spokes from hup leong?

A wheel builder build wheel and i dun manufacture spokes i can custom cut spokes but that is the last choice if there is avalibilty that would be the best choice this is just my 2 cent worth of knowledge

"

A question for wheel builder. If my current wheel have no hub, do I need a completely new wheel if I want to install a dynamo hub? Is it possible to modify my existing wheel to add in the dynamo hub? 

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 16th Sep 2013 9:17 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Velomobile:
Quote:
Quote:

"

A question for wheel builder. If my current wheel have no hub, do I need a completely new wheel if I want to install a dynamo hub? Is it possible to modify my existing wheel to add in the dynamo hub? "

It is possible to lace your present front wheel with dynamo hub using the old rim but the spokes might not be able to to reuse as different hole pitch i have extra pcs of front hub (32H/36H) for mtb use disc mount
but the weight of dynamo hub are about 500 grams

Regular Forumer
238 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Sep 2013 7:09 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"

A question for wheel builder. If my current wheel have no hub, do I need a completely new wheel if I want to install a dynamo hub? Is it possible to modify my existing wheel to add in the dynamo hub? "

It is possible to lace your present front wheel with dynamo hub using the old rim but the spokes might not be able to to reuse as different hole pitch i have extra pcs of front hub (32H/36H) for mtb use disc mount

"

Could you provide me a quotation for a 20" wheel with DT Swiss spokes and SON dynamo hub? The reason why I go for SON and not shimano is because Shimano dynamo hub is not suitable for 20" wheel. Rim size should fit marathon racer 20"x2 tires. Thank you.

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Sep 2013 12:17 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"

"

Could you provide me a quotation for a 20" wheel with DT Swiss spokes and SON dynamo hub? The reason why I go for SON and not shimano is because Shimano dynamo hub is not suitable for 20" wheel. Rim size should fit marathon racer 20"x2 tires. Thank you."

i dun not carry son dynamo hub may i know your ride ? whatsapp me 97895334 Peter for discussion

Regular Forumer
238 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Nov 2013 11:44 AM    Quote and Reply

Yesterday went to HL for the first time. Not much people there, nobody asked if I need help and nobody followed me around the shop. I went there to look for a bottle cage only. Eventually I brought a 17$ bottle cage and when I pass it to the auntie, she immediately told me 16$ will do. Although $1 discount maybe peanuts for many but they are running a business and can just charge me 17$ for the cage. I think auntie can see that I'm just around 17yr old and money is hard to come by. It'a my first time there and I can conclude overall it's still a pleasant experience. Thumbs up for the friendly auntie!

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 13th Nov 2013 12:49 AM    Quote and Reply

I have known Gilbert (Hup Leong) since the Tiong Bahru years. Garyfisher, Dean and Ellsworth were all bought from Hup Leong.

Aunty

Aunty is like the finance minister of the shop. If one ever heard about how they managed to be what they are today, you will nothing but respect for their determination to stay in this tough industry. Aunty is like a motherly figure though I tend to agree that she may not appear too friendly when she stares at you. But one have to agree that when you get to know her, she is one of the nicest person in the shop.

Gilbert   

The heartbeat of the shop. Never look friendly but his advice is priceless. Take it with a pinch of salt. Although I have known him for the longest time but he still talk to me like I owe him 1 million dollars though I know he is talking in a jokingly manner. Never a pushy seller, he will advise only the suitable components to sell to the buyer. Pro buy good parts so can fully ultilize the potential of the components. Non hardcore rider like me, SLX or maximim XT.

Thomas     

For someone who can stand Gilbert's long winded since the Tiong Bahru days till Chin Swee. This shows that this guy has some character. One of the unsung hero at Hup Leong, appears blur blur but hand him a bike, he does a excellent job for you. In fact all my bikes are done up by Thomas. 

In gist, I am not trying to defend Hup Leong but I think every bike shop have their pros and cons. I agree that some may not catch them at the right time thus kena the shit treatment from them. Overall, I would still recommend my friends to them. 

Ride safe everyone.    

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 13th Nov 2013 10:15 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by lwc12345: I have known Gilbert (Hup Leong) since the Tiong Bahru years. Garyfisher, Dean and Ellsworth were all bought from Hup Leong.

Aunty

Aunty is like the finance minister of the shop. If one ever heard about how they managed to be what they are today, you will nothing but respect for their determination to stay in this tough industry. Aunty is like a motherly figure though I tend to agree that she may not appear too friendly when she stares at you. But one have to agree that when you get to know her, she is one of the nicest person in the shop.

Agree totally with you. Aunty can be very friendly and she is also very helpful too. 

Gilbert   

The heartbeat of the shop. Never look friendly but his advice is priceless. Take it with a pinch of salt. Although I have known him for the longest time but he still talk to me like I owe him 1 million dollars though I know he is talking in a jokingly manner. Never a pushy seller, he will advise only the suitable components to sell to the buyer. Pro buy good parts so can fully ultilize the potential of the components. Non hardcore rider like me, SLX or maximim XT.

Gilbert is Gilbert. He likes to keep u from a distance at first but when u connect with him. he will offer you many nice tips and recommendations. He likes to assure customers all their product will be discounted (mostly/ usually 10%) too.
if one can overlook his idiosyncracies you will be a happy shopper. Nobody is perfect.

"

Regular Forumer
239 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 13th Nov 2013 6:29 PM    Quote and Reply

I went HL just now the boss gave me a USB chargeable light very bright, cost $92. He say "Uncle come" I said huh ? why? .. smiling as i was ablout to drag my bike home. I've been there so far like 4 ~ 5 time since about a month ago. Usually casual chat few words, then i scoot off walk to peoples park wash my eyes for half an hour till it's bright and shining ...

He looked at my bike then grab the light from wall hanger & told the tall handsome pinoy guy ? Give to uncle and teach him how to use it.

I said huh .. !? It's $92 not $29 ? Very Expensive .. ?!  He said "Uncle it's not all about money sometimes happy can already..

Woah.. How ?

Sometimes it might not be other people but oneself, maybe just too sensitive ? If you ask me i'll say just small  misunderstand. 

Maybe a bit more empathy goes a long way. Not everyone is as smart as you :p

Beautiful people don't just happen.

Cheers !

Regular Forumer
34 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings