Topic: hup Leong bike shop comment

Posted on: 11th Apr 2013 6:02 PM    Quote and Reply

I would say everywhere is the same.

I had been to a lot of shops around singapore to look for good deals.

I go to HLB quite a few time without buying anything since last year , my boss recomanded that shop. I just bought a saddle and one bell from there this afternoon. I met with the lady and she was nice to me. She didn't any how sell the stuff to me.  

But there are some other days that they don't have very good smiling face. Well , they are also people like you and me.  I go there everytime, I go and eat luch at china town, just to look at the bicycle stuff.

Life is a journey and I am just an another wanderer.
http://www.mybikesnhikes.com
Regular Forumer
525 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th May 2013 2:34 PM    Quote and Reply

surprisingly my few times visit there was OK. Maybe I wasnt buying anything that needs a lot of answers, thats why. 

The one eye guy (what's his name?) is pretty ok.. I hv a mulfuction Saris RS bought from them and they were nice to help me hv it refurbished.. and when collecting it I needed to wait 20 mins for my wife to come, i told them i will stick ard to look at the bike.. they are all OK never show me faces. 

Regular Forumer
73 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 7th May 2013 4:31 PM    Quote and Reply

Those who don't show respect will not be given any...

You know you are old skool when you leave your Tange Prestige steel MTB upside down the night before for fork oils to flow down the coil springs before hitting the BT trail on cantilever brakes
Regular Forumer
42 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Sep 2013 2:52 PM    Quote and Reply

Been going to Gilbert for years, great shop, reliable and honest.  Wish they opened Sunday but other than that will be going back when I save up for my next bike. 

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Sep 2013 12:38 AM    Quote and Reply

I am a wheel builder myself remember walking into Hup leong sometime back looking for spokes to replace of the 20inch folding bike which i got it second hand that i paid $150 SGD dollars they quoted me per spokes cut to spec $1.50 each and they will have to lace and true for me each wheel $40 SGD , a pair for $80
it will for me out 56 spokes $84 plus $80 for labour total of $164 sgd dollars , what can i say
that is the last i step into the shop

Certified DT swiss wheel builder & UBI certified whatsapp 97895334
https://www.facebook.com/wheelconcept/
Regular Forumer
238 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Sep 2013 1:46 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by photographer: I am a wheel builder myself remember walking into Hup leong sometime back looking for spokes to replace of the 20inch folding bike which i got it second hand that i paid $150 SGD dollars they quoted me per spokes cut to spec $1.50 each and they will have to lace and true for me each wheel $40 SGD , a pair for $80
it will for me out 56 spokes $84 plus $80 for labour total of $164 sgd dollars , what can i say

"

its a business dude. they pay wages, tax, overheads and they probably hope to make a decent living out of the business.

The price u quoted is comparable or lower than a number of other bike shops i know.

Its quite funny and unethical to have a guy advertising his wheel building service and bashing another shop's.
You're of unknown quaility, do not pay any rent or overheads.
By making a statment like that with your so obvious free advertising below, u're making people compare  your prices with the shop's.

People can reasonably complain about service or whatever as its a subjective thing but you're painting a unnecessarily negative picture of HL's prices by indirectly suggesting something like this man.

Regular Forumer
85 posts
Forum Rep: 12

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Sep 2013 2:39 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by mingster:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by photographer: I am a wheel builder myself remember walking into Hup leong sometime back looking for spokes to replace of the 20inch folding bike which i got it second hand that i paid $150 SGD dollars they quoted me per spokes cut to spec $1.50 each and they will have to lace and true for me each wheel $40 SGD , a pair for $80

"

its a business dude. they pay wages, tax, overheads and they probably hope to make a decent living out of the business.

The price u quoted is comparable or lower than a number of other bike shops i know.

Its quite funny and unethical to have a guy advertising his wheel building service and bashing another shop's.
You're of unknown quaility, do not pay any rent or overheads.
By making a statment like that with your so obvious free advertising below, u're making people compare  your prices with the shop's.

People can reasonably complain about service or whatever as its a subjective thing but you're painting a unnecessarily negative picture of HL's prices by indirectly suggesting something like this man."

Apology if I had offended people here, I saw two scenario here:

First scenario, truely they may not had that 20" spoke in stock and will need to cut the longer spoke to specs and off course I think $80 is fair enough for the labour cost.  Photographer should had look for another shop that had 20" spoke instead. Beside the spoke should not be charged at $1.50 per piece as it cost price is just around 20 cents. To cover overhead I think 50 cents to $1 will be more reasonable.

Second scenario, maybe that shop is really trying something funny as 20" is not popular and purposely charged that ridicularous price but they instead they do had stock if they are such a famous shop.

Sorry I am not trying to frame anyone but thinking of possible scenario. Anyway, for $164 I can get a nice pair of 20" aluminium wheel conplete with rims, disc brake hub and spokes. Hehe, sorry tires not included.

In overall for this shop attitude, the owner may had been through a lot of people that come ask a lot but never buy, so even for me, I cant ensure that I can stay the same "Service is No.1" attitude for so many years facing these type of customer.

Cheers!

Regular Forumer
35 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Sep 2013 7:04 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by photographer:
I am a wheel builder myself remember walking into Hup leong sometime back looking for spokes to replace of the 20inch folding bike which i got it second hand that i paid $150 SGD dollars they quoted me per spokes cut to spec $1.50 each and they will have to lace and true for me each wheel $40 SGD , a pair for $80

"

What sort of spokes? DT Swiss will cost about that much even if you buy a box online. I was quoted $11.50 per spoke by a shop on East Coast Rd - now that is a rip off and I have never gone back there. Cutting spokes takes time and so you've got to pay - you say you build wheels. Do you have a good spoke cutter - like the Phil Wood one - or a nasty cheap one which makes poor threads and weakens the spokes?

Properly building a wheel is going to take at least an hour so $40 isn't so bad - if you are happy making $20 per hour (less overheads) then fine but many people owning a shop wouldn't bother.

As to the idea it is possible to buy complete wheels for less - sure but that is not an apples to apples comparison - custom hand built wheels will always cost more than mass produced machine built wheels.

Regular Forumer
166 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Sep 2013 3:56 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by csk1975:
Quote:

"
What sort of spokes? DT Swiss will cost about that much even if you buy a box online. I was quoted $11.50 per spoke by a shop on East Coast Rd - now that is a rip off and I have never gone back there. Cutting spokes takes time and so you've got to pay - you say you build wheels. Do you have a good spoke cutter - like the Phil Wood one - or a nasty cheap one which makes poor threads and weakens the spokes? Properly building a wheel is going to take at least an hour so $40 isn't so bad - if you are happy making $20 per hour (less overheads) then fine but many people owning a shop wouldn't bother. As to the idea it is possible to buy complete wheels for less - sure but that is not an apples to apples comparison - custom hand built wheels will always cost more than mass produced machine built wheels."

yes i have a hozan spoke cutter and a hozan hand tool
spokes are not meant to be threaded the threads are rolled out

Regular Forumer
238 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Sep 2013 3:59 AM    Quote and Reply

thanks for the reply i do agree to the wages taxes and over head anyway it is just normal stainless steel spoke for cut to length , anyway my feed back was just for info
thank you guys

Regular Forumer
238 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings