Topic: hup Leong bike shop comment

Posted on: 10th Apr 2013 3:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Just went to Hup Leong as my friend wanted to buy Merida bike.

They dont have his size "XS" on display.
So the sales guy (mechanic guy i think) said they have in warehouse and can bring out.

We wanted to check the sizing first before we commit to buying 2900$ bike.
But he insisted deposit before they bring the bike out from warehouse.

My friend was really keen to get Merida, but we wanted to check the geomatry and sizing, feel of the bike before paying.

Then came Gilbert with... "you have to pay deposit, i cannot display all my stock here, you have to understand the space constraint... i have to use my labor to assemble bike for you, there is no reason you should not pay deposit, blah blah.. "

with one of a kind unique sales pitch....

needless to say we walked out and my friend bought Kuota instead.

Regular Forumer
361 posts
Forum Rep: 5

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Apr 2013 3:50 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kmax: Just went to Hup Leong as my friend wanted to buy Merida bike.

So the sales guy (mechanic guy i think) said they have in warehouse and can bring out.

My friend was really keen to get Merida, but we wanted to check the geomatry and sizing, feel of the bike before paying.

Then came Gilbert with... "you have to pay deposit, i cannot display all my stock here, you have to understand the space constraint... i have to use my labor to assemble bike for you, there is no reason you should not pay deposit, blah blah.. "

needless to say we walked out and my friend bought Kuota instead."

Deposit is very common if they need to put together a bike from the box for you to try. Many bike shops practice this and i can somewhat understand it. Building a bike needs time and space. I also think it will be unreasonable to expect the shop to display every single size.

Usually the deposit will turn into a credit that you can use to purchase anything if you decide not to buy the bike. How much deposit did they ask for?

Regular Forumer
181 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Apr 2013 4:08 PM    Quote and Reply

f the deposit was just to make sure you were serious before they go and get it and fully refundable in cash if it doesn't fit / you don't like it then I don't have a problem with that.
However I think it's just one of those good day bad day things with HL - sometimes you go in there and they are chatty, joking and can't do enough to help - other times if gilbert is stressed you get growled at. Doesn't really bother me; but I have heard him be pretty rude to customers before. His lost sale I suppose

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 10th Apr 2013 7:40 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kmax: Just went to Hup Leong as my friend wanted to buy Merida bike.

Many thanks for sharing this. I give up finding time to visit them.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Apr 2013 7:45 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by swen:
Quote:

Deposit is very common if they need to put together a bike from the box for you to try. Many bike shops practice this and i can somewhat understand it. Building a bike needs time and space. I also think it will be unreasonable to expect the shop to display every single size.

Usually the deposit will turn into a credit that you can use to purchase anything if you decide not to buy the bike. How much deposit did they ask for?"

I like to believe it was the presentation that chased the potential customers away.
A neighbourhood LBS often do not have the goods I went to look for. However, the staff are pleasant and give good advice freely. I still pop in to check if they got some goods I wanted.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Apr 2013 8:29 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891: 
I like to believe it was the presentation that chased the potential customers away.
A neighbourhood LBS often do not have the goods I went to look for. However, the staff are pleasant and give good advice freely. I still pop in to check if they got some goods I wanted."

Very simple. Why not ask the LBS to bring in a model they don't have stock of in the showroom to let you try for size. For a balanced comparison, the scenario has to be similar. In fact, maybe should go to every LBS with this poser and see what the response is. Then we know which LBS is willing and we can support this LBS! 

Regular Forumer
200 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Apr 2013 4:30 AM    Quote and Reply

Gilbert is alright dude, he's quite long winded at times trying to get a point right but i like him, if he's not looking at you directly that's cos he's crossed eye. Important point please take note, dont ever ask for discount before you commit, do it at the cashier only. Try looking at the centre piece and comment "its very reasonable price". This may help too

Regular Forumer
62 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Apr 2013 8:58 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:

Usually the deposit will turn into a credit that you can use to purchase anything if you decide not to buy the bike. How much deposit did they ask for?"

it was not the amount of deposit that deter the purchase...
we could have made full payment.

it was the tone of voice and treatment that we received as potential customer.
i am not requesting red carpet treatment, but if you visit bike shops at vertex, and HL.. you will see the difference..

Regular Forumer
361 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Apr 2013 9:00 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: f the deposit was just to make sure you were serious before they go and get it and fully refundable in cash if it doesn't fit / you don't like it then I don't have a problem with that.
However I think it's just one of those good day bad day things with HL - sometimes you go in there and they are chatty, joking and can't do enough to help - other times if gilbert is stressed you get growled at. Doesn't really bother me; but I have heard him be pretty rude to customers before. His lost sale I suppose"

guess we kena his bad day then.. well...

Regular Forumer
361 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Apr 2013 2:23 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
Quote:

Although I tend to think he is genrally a good guy with his sometimes weird habits towards customers, if you can look past all that, can still do business with them.

However, this part about deposit I don't agree. Unless like what someone else mentioned about refundable. If I ask the shop to indent something they do not have, yes by all means pay a deposit. To pay a deposit to see something, then have to accept a credit note and forced to buy something else? Thats unacceptable.

Regular Forumer
114 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings