Topic: hup Leong bike shop comment

Posted on: 31st Oct 2012 9:08 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"
So sorry if it the truth hurts (not well-versed in diplomatic vocabulary). Should your friend be look-alike of some convicted crooks, what can we expect the reaction to be?
Example one: I may not look like a crook, still got people told me I tried to cheat (they could not believe the deliveries made were their respective dream-like ideals).
Example two: Recently, a colleague told me my cyclometer inaccurate as I had exceeded 50km/H with my classic road bike (still within the road speed limit). I did not told him already almost reached 60km/H with the previous classic transmission.
I mean, I believe you were keen to buy the bike. However, the vendor not as keen to sell such bike to those who are so curious/careful..."

Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Posted on: 31st Oct 2012 10:41 AM    Quote and Reply

Gilbert and Aunty are good folks. I always dropby whenever my family dine at Red Star. They never have any problem with me browsing and my five year old son running amok. I am not a big spender, but one thing I have learnt from my travel is stop asking for discount.

If the price is not right, dont buy. I would do my homework on/off line before making a purchase. Asking for discount can be rather undignifying. At Hup Leong, they would usually give me a discount without me asking for one. Of course, by the time I bring the item to the counter, I am already prepared to pay whatever that was on the price tag.

Regular Forumer
13 posts

United States
Posted on: 31st Oct 2012 11:16 AM    Quote and Reply

I think HL is not concern over such negative postings as it has its own customer base to survive.  They may have deliberately initiate this discussion to generate publicity.

As for me, I visit their shop to browse around whenever I am in People's Park area.  There are occasional bargains or stuff you don't see elsewhere in other shops.  Ask for small discount, like a dollar off $21.  The price tag has marked up and they can discount slightly depending on who buys.  But for most occasion I pay what is on the price tag.

Don't bother too much about Auntie kaypoh-ness or Gilbert's sometimes blunt reply.  Do your homework on the web for info before you buy from there.  Getting info from shop people is the worst experience in any retail outlet in Spore. 

Regular Forumer
197 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Oct 2012 11:57 AM    Quote and Reply

my experience with HL has been alright but maybe i worked in the service industry long enough to understand how not to expect much, just chill and enjoy looking around bike shops

Gilbert is a alright guy (who is not perfect, just like everyone else) he has his idiosycracies...
like the previous post mentioned abt pirce, they know how to give discount without asking as they know how to react to customers.
their shimano parts are one of the cheapest in town for LBS ( i reckon...correct me if i am wrong)

Regular Forumer
239 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 31st Oct 2012 12:17 PM    Quote and Reply

Ok , so many good comment on HL , maybe that day was my unlucky day to visit his shop and maybe he got a bad mood on that day . . No hard feeling on this comment .... Cheer. 

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Posted on: 9th Nov 2012 9:51 PM    Quote and Reply

So far so good for me too..

Yes, Gilbert can be grumpy and auntie had the habit of following me when I first visited them. But this is fine as they offer pretty good price even before discount.

Bought a wheelset and crank from them and they even tuned my front and rear D FOC.

The shop where I bought my bike wanna charge just to tighten my disc rotor! Could you imagine that? Best of all, my bike is still within warranty and I was told this is a wear and tear issue. Yeah right!

Phil

Regular Forumer
49 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Nov 2012 1:07 AM    Quote and Reply

I have visited HL twice so far. First time is when I'm shopping for a new MTB. Spent 15 minutes walking around the shop. There a a number of people around thus auntie and the guys were all quite busy. But they still gave me a smile and asked if they can help. I kindly tell them I'm just browsing around.

Second trip, I actually went there and bought a couple of Saddles and they install them for both bikes (Marin). During payment, the discounts were given without asking. Gilbert actually spent time explaining to me how I should adjust both saddles to suit the rider. So no complains from me so far. In fact, I'll drop by when I have time and continue my look see look see..

Regular Forumer
13 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Apr 2013 3:13 PM    Quote and Reply

Frankly Speaking, Hup Leong People have very split persoality in terms of servicing their customers...My friend forever gets scolded or showed attitude when he goes to Hup Leong... But no choice they're technically good.

As I always recommend them in terms of price and services. Whenever I went there Gilbert and the Gilbert's Mum will always ask If  I needed help and always give me a discount at least 10% without me requesting... Or even free gifts. Bought 1 tire and gave me 1 free!

So the bottomline is Good attitude from customer will in return receive good services.

HL usually prefer easy to go with customer and know what they want. 

Cheers! 

Redefining Ride Limits
Regular Forumer
35 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Apr 2013 4:42 PM    Quote and Reply

How come??? So many patterns and badmintons to different/individual consumers.

Regular Forumer
1,342 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Apr 2013 12:02 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by cycle_newbie: Frankly Speaking, Hup Leong People have very split persoality in terms of servicing their customers...My friend forever gets scolded or showed attitude when he goes to Hup Leong... But no choice they're technically good.

As I always recommend them in terms of price and services. Whenever I went there Gilbert and the Gilbert's Mum will always ask If  I needed help and always give me a discount at least 10% without me requesting... Or even free gifts. Bought 1 tire and gave me 1 free!

So the bottomline is Good attitude from customer will in return receive good services.

HL usually prefer easy to go with customer and know what they want. 

Cheers! 
"

isit a joking scolding or serious 1 ?

i get that too when i visit familar bike shops but that's because i always joke with them

http://ireallylovemybike.wordpress.com/
Regular Forumer
260 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings