Topic: hup Leong bike shop comment

Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 2:27 PM    Quote and Reply

Hup Leong have a few cases for Shoplifting & 1 case of housebreaking back few years ago..... 

God Who Know...
Senior Forumer
335 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 2:41 PM    Quote and Reply

Ya, agree with Bro.... not happy with the shop, go somewhere else where they value our business.... been to a few LBS.... really think  I got their poor man look and also in t shirt and bermuda.... no service at all.... not even want to check with you what you want.... I dont expect VIP treatment, I dont need that.. just some basic service of answering queries and give some recommendation.... didnt know go LBS also must go in busines shirt and tie???

I finally give my business to a LBS... cause the service they provide to me is excellent (though need to pay a premium).... I change my mind like changing underwear... ... think will be murder if go to some of the LBS.... got to try bike after bike after bike... even confirm on the bike, all fixed up, last min change my mind and change bike... repeated at least 3 times..... and I still survive to tell the story....

Regular Forumer
156 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 8:02 PM    Quote and Reply

Bro TPYB - you are a scary customer from hell !!!!  But nonetheless, congrats you got your bike and survive the LBS Jungle !

But sad to say, majority of the LBS are not too welcoming to newbies and patience is never one of their main forte. 

But look from their side, you have hundreds (??) of pple walking in/out of shop asking questions and not buying.  After awhile, I guess they cant be bothered anymore.  It's not that they earn much from accessories anyway.

Sadly I dun subscribe to this sort of business model but like petrol cartels, do we really have a choice   Yes we do but limited ...

I do buy alot online .... but sometimes nothing beats seeing the actual item in the flesh before buying ....

Back to HL - mixed experiences each time ...

Regular Forumer
24 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 8:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by fos-bike: Bro TPYB - you are a scary customer from hell !!!!  But nonetheless, congrats you got your bike and survive the LBS Jungle !

But sad to say, majority of the LBS are not too welcoming to newbies and patience is never one of their main forte. 

But look from their side, you have hundreds (??) of pple walking in/out of shop asking questions and not buying.  After awhile, I guess they cant be bothered anymore.  It's not that they earn much from accessories anyway.

Sadly I dun subscribe to this sort of business model but like petrol cartels, do we really have a choice   Yes we do but limited ...

I do buy alot online .... but sometimes nothing beats seeing the actual item in the flesh before buying ....

Back to HL - mixed experiences each time ..."

I think they know I already intended to buy... just not sure which one to get.... else sure cannot leave the shop alive... haaa.... and kudos to them, they are patience in explaining and advising me... this is the basic things I ask for, but of course they go beyond that in accommodating my "severe indecisiveness"... they must have regretted introducing me so many model....

Regular Forumer
156 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 9:22 PM    Quote and Reply

I've been to Hup Leong for many years now...  To be honest my initial impression of them was not great.  Even back then they were quite a busy shop when mountain biking was the big thing.  You just had to go look for the stuff you needed yourself.
I have never bought a bike from them in all these years but I bought saddles and lots of bike accessories. As they got to see me quite regularly, I actually got to know them better and actually they are just regular people like you and me. 
Gilbert has been in the business a long time and he doesn't try to dump bling parts on you unless you want them.   A few times when I wanted XTR parts, he would say XT is perfectly fine.... and he was right! XTR parts can't take bashing like XT parts can!
I worked in a bike shop too and its tiring to explain to customers about bike frame material and sizes, differences between component sets, asking questions about customers riding styles etc etc... and then seeing customer walk out without buying anything. 
A bike shop owner can also have off days too so lets give them a break sometimes.

Regular Forumer
43 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 10:22 PM    Quote and Reply

yup yup ....build a realtionship and eternal good service.....i patronised HL since they were at Tiong Bahru :P

"Can't shit dun blame the hard floor"
Old Salt Forumer
1,336 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 11:21 PM    Quote and Reply

With reference to this post & also not intending to defame any shop or person in particular but sticking to the primary subject of 'Good Service'.
Likewise, on my first visit to Hup Leong, I got a pretty warm welcome from them so I bought a low end Merida cause I fancied that I needed a bike to ride to work and it won't hurt in the event if it ever gets ripped off the common bicycle stand they got down at the basement.

On my second visit, I decided to purchase some ergo related components for my freeride bike and I was really taken by surprise by the responds & treatment I received when I asked about the Turner frame. He didn't even bother to show me where the frames were displayed in the shop, he just sat there pointed to me in  the direction where they were but what dropped the hammer & drove me to the point of getting PISSED OFF was when he sat there & replied in a very sacastic tone: "Eh Turner frames cost from $3500 onwards you know"

Well, I guess that was he didn't realize that he's talking to a customer who collects exotic frames just for keeps & blew away a three thousand dollar sale at the drop of the hat. Generally speaking, I could understand & totally relate to the frustrations & dilemma that a retailer faces from day to day, from petty thefts cases to unreasonably demanding customers to the everday window shopper & the whole nine yards.

From a customer's perspective, that certain brand would only be as good as the one who markets it. So in a nut shell, he ain't only making Hup Leong look bad, he's also making Turner look like their frames were made in the dark. Just my 2 Cents

Cheers Peeps

It ain't the ride,
Its the rider that matters
Freshie Forumer
6 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 31st Oct 2012 1:10 AM    Quote and Reply

I just when to HL this evening it my first visit.. It feel ok for me just that nobody cares me maybe is busy around the shop.. But still there someone to serve me guide me to the things I wanted..

Regular Forumer
34 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Oct 2012 5:38 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by BMWX1:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by BMWX1: Just a feedback on this hup leong bike shop at chin swee road , the boss and the old lady got an attidute proble  look down on ppl .  Will never step into that shop to purchase anything again .."
.   Back again on Hup Leong comment .. I was buying some cat eye accessories and planing to buy a road bike for my wife .. My budget was $2000 plus , just as I saw this bike with carbon frame and 105 group set , but the brake is not 105 so I ask the boss (Gibert) why not the same ? At 1st he was ok , said can change to 105 .. Later I ask again got any further discount .. That the time he not happy aready when I ask the handle bar isit carbon .. ? His reply to me is u wait wait .. Meaning is wait long long .. I was shock to hear that .. I don't need that kind of what VIP service or what .. U see if no discount or no carbon handle he should let me know in a gd manner .. Wana to buy a $2000 plus bike from him end up get sarcastic remark .. . Forget it , not only one bike shop in Singapore .. As for the aunty .. Comment .. She treat customer like thief , my friend went to buy a bag from HL , check my friend got put anything in the bag and later went back to check the items that my friend took it out to see .. "

So sorry if it the truth hurts (not well-versed in diplomatic vocabulary). Should your friend be look-alike of some convicted crooks, what can we expect the reaction to be?
Example one: I may not look like a crook, still got people told me I tried to cheat (they could not believe the deliveries made were their respective dream-like ideals).
Example two: Recently, a colleague told me my cyclometer inaccurate as I had exceeded 50km/H with my classic road bike (still within the road speed limit). I did not told him already almost reached 60km/H with the previous classic transmission.
I mean, I believe you were keen to buy the bike. However, the vendor not as keen to sell such bike to those who are so curious/careful...

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Oct 2012 7:53 AM    Quote and Reply

My experience with hup leong thus far has been nothing but great... I've been there like 10 times this yr, wearing berms, tees, and crocs (yes call the fashion police pls...)! Not every time I bought stuffs, sometimes just randomly pop by to see if anything catches my eye... John, Gilbert, Thomas, and the auntie still attend to me.... I dun expect VIP treatment, and I'm okay with those 'answer only wad ever I ask' treatment...

I bought a bike with them last mth, and they were very helpful in fixing all the minor issues (e.g. Crackling sound at the crank) after the purchase... Gilbert simpy wanted me to enjoy the bike from hup leong...

YMMV really... But I will still recommend my friends to HL....

Regular Forumer
63 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings