Topic: hup Leong bike shop comment

Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 12:06 AM    Quote and Reply

Just a feedback on this hup leong bike shop at chin swee road , the boss and the old lady got an attidute proble  look down on ppl .  Will never step into that shop to purchase anything again ..
Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 12:43 AM    Quote and Reply

What Happened?

God Who Know...
Senior Forumer
335 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 3:47 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by BMWX1: Just a feedback on this hup leong bike shop at chin swee road , the boss and the old lady got an attidute proble  look down on ppl .  Will never step into that shop to purchase anything again .."

On my first visit C2C, Ben ever looked and told me hopeless to lighten my bike. I never bother to show him what he did not know. 

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 6:11 AM    Quote and Reply

Dun like dun buy loh. I walked into Tay cycle at tampines yesterday morning. Was standing looking at the RS SID fork hanging behind the counter for 5mins. Nobody bother to ask me if I needed help. So I walk off. Simple as that. Internet purchase is so convenient and cheap nowadays. You dun want to earn my money someone else will be glad to do it. I walk into hup leong was looking for the same thing but they dun carry RS fork. Too bad. I will buy from online shop.

Regular Forumer
90 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 6:48 AM    Quote and Reply

I think the old lady at HL sizes all customers up as potential customer or potential thief. I've been in there covered in s**t after a day at BT and she was pretty rude. Been in there after work and she was all smiles. Gilbert is OK though and knows his stuff, a little abrupt at times. Does piss me off that they never answer their phone or respond to voicemails and you either have to go down there or wait for them to answer emails to check if they have stock.
To be honest I am not really bothered about customer service too much, just bought 2 $40 SS bikes from some old uncle in Bedok for the kids to go to school on and the uncle was having a real bad day, grumpy as hell, I found it more amusing than offensive or annoying.
Can go to Vertex flash show room and pay a big premium if you want LV or Boss service levels.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 8:23 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by liang: Dun like dun buy loh. I walked into Tay cycle at tampines yesterday morning. Was standing looking at the RS SID fork hanging behind the counter for 5mins. Nobody bother to ask me if I needed help. So I walk off. Simple as that. Internet purchase is so convenient and cheap nowadays. You dun want to earn my money someone else will be glad to do it. I walk into hup leong was looking for the same thing but they dun carry RS fork. Too bad. I will buy from online shop."

Perhaps they more keen if you were eyeing new bikes, not just forks.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 8:25 AM    Quote and Reply

Can check with new outlets like PRO Shop?

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 9:25 AM    Quote and Reply

My experiences in Hup Leong were always erratic.  You'll never know what you will get everytime.  I still remembered my first time.  I was buying groceries at Sheng Siong and saw this bike shop at the corner.  Curious, I went there to have a look.  Auntie was very pleasant and so was John, the pinoy.  I didn't need anything but bought something due to the warm feeling I got.  When I left the shop, I told my wife that all LBS should treat their customers this way and this is the benchmark!

Subsequent visits were mixed.  1 in 5 times, I would leave the shop satisfied but nowhere as happy as my first visit.  The rest of the times was really horrendous.  I finally stopped patronising them when I was quoted $65 to adjust a front derailleur.  I walked off and went to my regular mechanic (I didn't look for my regular mechanic because his shop is full and your bike is usually attended to after 3 days).  My regular mech took 3 minutes to check (Time included mounting my bike on the workstand) and cost me $0. 

Not happy, please take your money elsewhere and start supporting shops that value not only business but also relationships. 

Regular Forumer
142 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 10:29 AM    Quote and Reply

I do agree that shop owners and customers should have good relationships or rapport. Find one shop that you like and stick with them. But this can get out of hand too. I visited some shops which are full of regular customers with really tight relationships with the owners. They walk all over the workshop, use the tools, talk non-stop about their issues and ask for advice or share stories, while the other non-regular customers (me included) stand around and don't get served, because the mechs and owners are all occupied. Sometimes its also intimidating, its like this shop only serve "Pros" or experienced riders, not noobs.

Sometimes we also need to manage our own expectations. Back to HL topic, there are a lot of comments and feedback online about the shop, the owner, the shopping experience there. If you have already researched, then you will know what to expect, or rather what not to expect. I did not expect to be treated like VIP when I went there, but owner was helpful, gave good advice and alternative solutions. When I said I needed to consider as it was a bit expensive, no problems he said take your time. I didn't buy anything that day, and I dont think owner minded since he had so many more customers to keep him busy. Overall, good experience for my first visit.

Regular Forumer
114 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 12:52 PM    Quote and Reply

had some very mixed experiences when I was looking for a new bike. There were shop which gave all the time, attention and choice to look at multiple models, test ride and answer all noob question. Some others were rude and unpleasant, even if I am there to look at and potentially buy a bike. nothing unique in my experience. at one shop on east coast area, the staff at counter very helpful until the chief mech came out and override them on everything and be downright rude all because I asked for test ride. this after I call in advance and confirm can get test rides before I select model and buy. if mech have issue now I could only imagine treatment I get if I go in to get $5 worth of work done. shops I had very good experience in and I am happy to share: Cannasia Frankel, Treknology Tanglin, Integrated Riding east coast.

Regular Forumer
55 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Oct 2012 1:28 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by BMWX1: Just a feedback on this hup leong bike shop at chin swee road , the boss and the old lady got an attidute proble  look down on ppl .  Will never step into that shop to purchase anything again .."
.   Back again on Hup Leong comment .. I was buying some cat eye accessories and planing to buy a road bike for my wife .. My budget was $2000 plus , just as I saw this bike with carbon frame and 105 group set , but the brake is not 105 so I ask the boss (Gibert) why not the same ? At 1st he was ok , said can change to 105 .. Later I ask again got any further discount .. That the time he not happy aready when I ask the handle bar isit carbon .. ? His reply to me is u wait wait .. Meaning is wait long long .. I was shock to hear that .. I don't need that kind of what VIP service or what .. U see if no discount or no carbon handle he should let me know in a gd manner .. Wana to buy a $2000 plus bike from him end up get sarcastic remark .. . Forget it , not only one bike shop in Singapore .. As for the aunty .. Comment .. She treat customer like thief , my friend went to buy a bag from HL , check my friend got put anything in the bag and later went back to check the items that my friend took it out to see .. 

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Login to see your Forum Rankings