Topic: Sandblasting Services

Posted on: 5th Sep 2012 8:43 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi. Can reccommend shops that do sandblasting of bicycle frame and fork? Roughly how much will it costs? Thanks.

Don't blame the wheels. Don't blame the terrain. Don't blame the weather. It's man and machine. Get it?!
Regular Forumer
48 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Sep 2012 7:25 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by mercury1001: Hi. Can reccommend shops that do sandblasting of bicycle frame and fork? Roughly how much will it costs? Thanks."

To my knowledge, it is a health hazard method, and not usre if your bike suitable for that method.

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Sep 2012 8:24 PM    Quote and Reply

rebound centre, check with them for prices. 

Regular Forumer
1,542 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Sep 2012 9:35 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

Don't blame the wheels. Don't blame the terrain. Don't blame the weather. It's man and machine. Get it?!
Regular Forumer
48 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Sep 2012 11:04 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by mercury1001: Thanks for the info. Will check it out."

Hi,

Please note that sandblasting removes a layer of GOOD base material from your frame during the process.

If your bike frame is made of 'soft" ALU-Alloy, it may take away quite a bit....like 0.1mm (subject to type of sand/garnet/grit used, blasting air pressure, skill of the blaster etc). If your frame material thickness is 1.0mm => 20%, if 2.0mm => 10% etc....

As frames are generally circular in shape, 01.mm is the reduction in radius.....meaning; gone 0.1mm x 2

This weaken the frame exponentially......so do note this in your rides after that.

The other options are:

- chemically remove the paint/coating (but I dun know the processes or what or how it will affect the GOOD base materials of the frame).

- hydro blasting: This method is much better as it will remove the paint coating without removing the GOOD base material of the frame. Depending of what type of coating, the water pressure varies but are usually in the High Pressure Water range (10k-15k psi) or Ultra-High range (20k-35k psi)

Whichever method you intend to use; I still think that it will be expensive relative to the market price of your bike frame unless you have a special Titanium-Alloy Bike Frame....if not, it's just an unproductive excerise...in my opinion.

However, do let us know the cost if you do check/consult with Rebound Centre.....I am just equally curious about it. Thank you.

A Blue Horizon Is Appearing
Regular Forumer
116 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Posted on: 6th Sep 2012 7:01 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks IvanLim. Your information on different methods of removing paint from our beloved bicycle frames is of great help to us. I've just checked with rebound center about the cost of stripping and painting a suspension fork and a hard tail mtb frame (single colour) is ard 420 and takes about a week.

Regular Forumer
48 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Sep 2012 6:44 AM    Quote and Reply

Anyone tried power-brushing away the rust, to share your experience?

Regular Forumer
6,195 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Sep 2012 8:30 AM    Quote and Reply

Something new, never hear of. Is it costly?

Regular Forumer
48 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Jan 2018 12:08 AM    Quote and Reply

for sand blasting,restoration of vintage bicycles any brand,respray,welding etc

contact k.sudas 83764313 or email fpdkgp@gmail.com"> fpdkgp@gmail.com

he does all this and he has alot of vintage spare parts for bicycle

Freshie Forumer
7 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Login to see your Forum Rankings