Topic: Has anyone bring any bikeshop to small claim tribunal before?

Posted on: 1st Jan 2011 1:28 PM    Quote and Reply

Aiya same thing lah.

I also kena from some big name shop here.

Bought a lightset that cost $280 from them.

Went home.

Battery not charging, I tested the cell..1 of the cells is dead.

Went back to the shop for an exchange.

They said I'm trying to pass on a used and old battery for a new one..WTF????

Wrote to the manufacturer with scan of receipt, pic of battery and test result.

Manufacturer directed them to replace a new battery for me.

The replied to the manufacturer that they have NO STOCK (I saw a whole pile of lightset and batteries while I'm there)

In the end, the manufacturer themselves send me a new set.

Too many problem with the shitty LBS we have...

Now I buy all my stuffs online...cheaper and they DO honor their warranty return (NO QUESTION ASKED)

Regular Forumer
1,290 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Jan 2011 3:27 PM    Quote and Reply

I am suspecting the reason why KH Cycle is not willing to give an inch is because under warranty claim, it is not their fault, they just sent the damage item back to SCOTT for replacement. For my claim, it is not SCOTT's fault, so they have to take it on themselve but they are not taking ownership and put it to me.

Regular Forumer
33 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Jan 2011 4:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Hmmm... quick calculation from a biz point of view...

Scott -- not giving a damn
therefore if distro replace-- crack frame as good as 100% writeoff
Estimated frame markup price ~35%
Therefore have to sell 3 more frames to break even
Still have some other cost from expenses due delivery/ storage/ freight handling...

and high end frame hard to sell sarmore...

50/50 -- chance that problem may go away with an end customer that acquiesce and just give up without further action

50/50 -- chance they have to replace and face what's happening now with a "blowup" but still with most people having short term memory, everything will be forgotten in 2 months or when another brand/lbs becomes the next limelight.

Not condoning if this was the type of thinking... but times are hard for all small businesses.
"Ethics" is a relative thing.

http://bikes-bikes-bikes.blogspot.sg/
Regular Forumer
4,863 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Jan 2011 5:02 PM    Quote and Reply

Replacements are usually B grade or "tarnished" goods....

Regular Forumer
1,290 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Jan 2011 6:51 PM    Quote and Reply

With the recent boom in online retailing, I guess local distributors and the usual Brick and Motar shops are feeling the pinch?

Extended service comes with a price and paired together with the rather anemic high end market, lbs are probably selling lesser high end bikes than projected. As such, I wouldn't be surprised say a particular dealer will want to avoid the hassle to go about doing such a thing.

Of course, I may be wrong and this might have simply been a one off situation due to certain terms and conditions set by KH and Scott? Or it might also have been a case of bad service?

Either way, its a sad thing to hear from TS and has certainly got my eyebrows raised because I've been to KH quite a couple of times and I have bought a number of accessories from them (no, I did not get my bike from them...) and the store manager Robin comes off as a really nice and friendly chap.

I guess I'm the lucky one? Been to T3, TBB, TEF, Tay, Hup Leong, C2C, Fab's cycle, TR bikes, Elite bicycles, KH, Treknology, Rodalink, Athelete's Next Stage, Cannasia and a couple of other more lbs over the years and I've ALWAYS been greeted by a friendly smile and a pat on the back.

Old Salt Forumer
332 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Jan 2011 9:16 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by fevernova: With the recent boom in online retailing, I guess local distributors and the usual Brick and Motar shops are feeling the pinch? Extended service comes with a price and paired together with the rather anemic high end market, lbs are probably selling lesser high end bikes than projected. As such, I wouldn't be surprised say a particular dealer will want to avoid the hassle to go about doing such a thing. Of course, I may be wrong and this might have simply been a one off situation due to certain terms and conditions set by KH and Scott? Or it might also have been a case of bad service? Either way, its a sad thing to hear from TS and has certainly got my eyebrows raised because I've been to KH quite a couple of times and I have bought a number of accessories from them (no, I did not get my bike from them...) and the store manager Robin comes off as a really nice and friendly chap. I guess I'm the lucky one? Been to T3, TBB, TEF, Tay, Hup Leong, C2C, Fab's cycle, TR bikes, Elite bicycles, KH, Treknology, Rodalink, Athelete's Next Stage, Cannasia and a couple of other more lbs over the years and I've ALWAYS been greeted by a friendly smile and a pat on the back."

I agree with fevernova.....been to almost all the shops in Singapore (Hup Leong, T3, Rodalink, Cannasia, Performance Cycles, etc) and they are always more than friendly to chat.

Only 2 LBS which I feel are not up to the mark:

1. Monotine - Even as I own a Fuji bike, everytime I go visit the shop I see this guy with a very stern and unfriendly face...and asking "Ah, What you want?"......
2. Rodalink - Very friendly staff, but not sure if they are entirely sure what they are doing!

Regular Forumer
440 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Jan 2011 9:53 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by fevernova: With the recent boom in online retailing, I guess local distributors and the usual Brick and Motar shops are feeling the pinch? Extended service comes with a price and paired together with the rather anemic high end market, lbs are probably selling lesser high end bikes than projected. As such, I wouldn't be surprised say a particular dealer will want to avoid the hassle to go about doing such a thing. Of course, I may be wrong and this might have simply been a one off situation due to certain terms and conditions set by KH and Scott? Or it might also have been a case of bad service? Either way, its a sad thing to hear from TS and has certainly got my eyebrows raised because I've been to KH quite a couple of times and I have bought a number of accessories from them (no, I did not get my bike from them...) and the store manager Robin comes off as a really nice and friendly chap. I guess I'm the lucky one? Been to T3, TBB, TEF, Tay, Hup Leong, C2C, Fab's cycle, TR bikes, Elite bicycles, KH, Treknology, Rodalink, Athelete's Next Stage, Cannasia and a couple of other more lbs over the years and I've ALWAYS been greeted by a friendly smile and a pat on the back."

Fevernova,

I was treated with very good service when I ordered the frame. I did my bike fitting till 9 plus into the night. Everything also ok, can do attitude until I brought my frame back to claim warranty.

Usually some accessories, I would not bother to bring the issue up the way to SCT. But I paid top dollar for the top of the range frame. Yet was treated this way. I gues their pride is so big that they can't take it when the implication seems to point to them.

Let me repeat again. Before I brought them to SCT, I gave them chances after changes to come back to me with some kind of resolution but they just totally ignore my request. Even threat of CASE and SCT fell on deaf ears. I believe they never thought I will take the trouble to go all the way. Now they have shot themself in the foot after the Referee ruled that the damage was caused before I took possesion of the frame. But since the witnesses testified under oath that they did not damage or see the damage, the Referee has not chance but to believe them. But HE DID COMMENT THAT HOW THE TWO WITNESSESS MISSED THE DAMAGE DURING ASSEMBLY WAS PLUZZING.

Regular Forumer
33 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Jan 2011 10:00 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:

I believe what cooperoh meant by wolf hiding under sheep skin is you will always get the well deserving service and smile that say 'give me your $, give me your $'. After the money is paid, then the wolf'' will say 'Who do you think you are to demand this?'

Senior Forumer
58 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Jan 2011 11:09 PM    Quote and Reply

cooperoh, you mentioned that you bought the bike from KH but got a report from a "reputable" bike builder with regards to the damge, just trying to understand, what was the intent? did you not inform the bike builder of the ongoing case before you asked him to perform the report?

actually, did you not check the bike when you first picked it up? most of us would. i guess if the damage was spotted in the shp, it would have been a no brainer for them to replace the frame, but having had the frame for 3 weeks and riding it on the road, thereafter bringing it back claiming damages would be a different point of view altogether.

i am not saying that you are trying to deceive the retailer or the courts, but i am looking at a different view from yours.

its a lesson learnt for all of us. check carefully before you leave the shop. actually, it is always better to have a friend with you to counter check as in the excitement, we could easily loose focus and not spot blemishes.

Regular Forumer
22 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Jan 2011 1:53 AM    Quote and Reply

Actually not quite true leh. There was a newspaper article last year about how more and more people are "investing" in good bikes. Cycling groups are increasing, more and more people doing Triathalons, etc... so businesses are actually booming. Doubt it's that hard to sell high-end frames as most people getting into cycling are PMEBs in their 30s/40s according to the article. Plus there's a boom in bike shops, the most recent example being at One Commonwealth?

Yea so actually with the surge in competition, they should be more customer-friendly la, but that's just my 2 cents.

Oh and just a shoutout to Cinelli99, Rodalink has been very good to me and my friends. Especially the Tradehub21, One Commonwealth and East Coast branches. Fantastic mechanics at all of them. Witnessed them giving a lot of advice to my newbie friend who was just looking for a $400 bike, even though he did not buy from them eventually. Maybe you spoke to the sales staff who are really just there to punch numbers on the register?

Quote:
"Formerly posted by anvil: Hmmm... quick calculation from a biz point of view...

Scott -- not giving a damn
therefore if distro replace-- crack frame as good as 100% writeoff
Estimated frame markup price ~35%
Therefore have to sell 3 more frames to break even
Still have some other cost from expenses due delivery/ storage/ freight handling...

and high end frame hard to sell sarmore...

50/50 -- chance that problem may go away with an end customer that acquiesce and just give up without further action

50/50 -- chance they have to replace and face what's happening now with a "blowup" but still with most people having short term memory, everything will be forgotten in 2 months or when another brand/lbs becomes the next limelight.

Not condoning if this was the type of thinking... but times are hard for all small businesses.
"Ethics" is a relative thing."

Regular Forumer
818 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings