Topic: Has anyone bring any bikeshop to small claim tribunal before?

Posted on: 28th Dec 2010 4:01 PM    Quote and Reply

I have.

Will the new lemon law help us, cyclist comsumers, in dealing with bike shop?

Yes it will.

I brought KH Cycle to SCT and the judge ruled the damage of my plasma frame was not caused while in my possession. In principle, I won. Just cannot stand, bad service and lack of respect for customer like myself. Totally refused to be neutral and be objective. Even accused me of wanting to replace frame when in all my email communication, I did not even ask for it. 

Therefore, please do not hesitate to bring bike shop to court if you feel that you are sold a lemon. Under lemon law, if you can prove that you are sold a defective product within 6 months, you have a case. 

This is not a bashing thread, I have document proof, even the Judge commented I have did a very thorough job. I am ready to show to anyone who wants to see them.  

Regular Forumer
33 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Dec 2010 6:21 PM    Quote and Reply

Well done. Its time some of us show up as knowledgeable cyclist, not just kids to be mislead by them. One shop told me no way for me to be a reasonably good cyclist. Another told me no way for me to win any cycling competition at my age. I got up podium last year and this year. How much do they really know about cycling?

Regular Forumer
6,196 posts
Forum Rep: 43

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Dec 2010 8:09 PM    Quote and Reply

How come it be? I thought KH Cycle is a very friendly and big bike shop. Especially since they have strong competitors setting up shop a few doors away, they will not dare offense their customers, reputation at stake lei.

Tell us more, let us judge to see if their service or treatment to us customers is lousy. Nowsdays service very important, bike does not come cheap anymore. Cannot imagine my bike shop accusing me after I spend some much money in their shop.

I do welcome the new law.

Senior Forumer
58 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Dec 2010 8:18 PM    Quote and Reply

Does a judge sits in the small claim tribunial? 

http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/page.aspx?pageid=8617

Regular Forumer
220 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 28th Dec 2010 11:49 PM    Quote and Reply

This should be interesting.  Protection for consumers against unethical retailers is important.  So, does the lemon law protects buyers from all sort of sellers? Online? Even when it is 2nd hand?  or price reduced items?

My guess is that the proof of purchase will now become very important and local retailers will have to find all sort of means to label or identify the products they sold.  Afterall, there are unethical retailers and there will also be unethical consumers.

Regular Forumer
320 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 29th Dec 2010 11:49 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ahole: Does a judge sits in the small claim tribunial? 

http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/page.aspx?pageid=8617

"

I addressed him as Your honor, so must be a Judge right? Anyway, the official term is Referee.  

Regular Forumer
33 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 29th Dec 2010 3:00 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Extreme:
How come it be? I thought KH Cycle is a very friendly and big bike shop. Especially since they have strong competitors setting up shop a few doors away, they will not dare offense their customers, reputation at stake lei.

Tell us more, let us judge to see if their service or treatment to us customers is lousy. Nowsdays service very important, bike does not come cheap anymore. Cannot imagine my bike shop accusing me after I spend some much money in their shop.

I do welcome the new law."

Hi Extreme,

Here are the events and facts in summary. All the following are documented and a copy is filed with SCT.

- After take over ride, discovered crack on speedskeg area.
- Send for warranty claim for the bike was not dropped or crash during my possession.
- Comment from KH Cycle after inspection of the frame for 1st time that it was dropped.
- Warranty claim rejected as SCOTT does not cover damage due to handling.
- Wrote to boss of KH Cycle requesting for investigation.
- No investigation offered, only for SCOTT engineer to take a look at the frame as happen to be around in the region.
- When asked KH Cycle the purpose of investigation, it is to ensure safety of frame. In other word, KH Cycle is offered a special service to inspect the damage frame to ensure my safety. No response on my request to investigate the cause of damage.
- Repeated investigation outcome numerous times, it fell on deaf ear. No resolution or counter offer whatsoever.
- Frustrated, wrote to CASE. KH Cylce missed deadline to reply. Made a claim at SCT.
- Only then KH Cycle responded with the outcome of investigation during mediation which I was kept the in dark all this while.
- After bringing them to SCT, it has become a principle issue. By then I will not settle for anything except a refund.
- KH Cycle's arguement is after the bike leaves the shop, after 1-2 days grace period, it is not their problem. No wonder they simply refused to respond to my request. Strictly company policy, not room for negoitation. They even said they studied CCTV and showed that they never mis-handled the frame.
- The mediator managed to convince KH Cycle to repair and continue extend warranty. KH Cycle said they can consider that after providing an email from SCOTT indicating warranty extension. (No true when bike shop said frame is not cover under warranty after repair)
- I super TL by then, why was all this not highlighten to me before I bring them to SCT? By then I will not settle for anything less than refund.
- Hearing before Referee. I managed to convince His Honor with comments from Slowtwitch and an evaluation report from a reputation bike builder from the East that damage was mostly likely caused during packaging/shipping/transporation while frame in box or during assembly of frame.
- KH Cycle has the shop manager and mechanic as witness under oath to prove that they did not caused or see the crack during bike assembled.
- Referee concluded that damage not caused during my possession but mostly likely during packaging/shipping/transporation, he was puzzled too how the damaged could have escaped 2 pairs of eyes during assembly.

- One last comment, I pitied the shop that I got the report from. I have sms proof that the shop's business is affected because KH Cycle is his supplier. In order to get a unbiased report, I did not highlight to the shop the history of the damage and who I bought the frame from. (Boss, once again I sincerely apologise, I really did not know you have business dealing with them. I know your service is very much supported in togoparts. Guys please support him)

Now it is up to the biking community to determine who is the victim and do we have the right to demand service and respect due to us as consumers. Would we, consumers, want to suffered in silent and skip meals, deprive ourself of enjoyment to save up to purchase another bike after our losses? (I cannot speak for all but for myself as now I cannot spend up to certain amount per day in order to purchase another new bike) While the bike shops make tons of money, open big showrooms with the profits they earn from

Regular Forumer
33 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 29th Dec 2010 4:37 PM    Quote and Reply

Steel is king and Ti is the shit.....

Regular Forumer
1,290 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 29th Dec 2010 11:26 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"  Under lemon law, if you can prove that you are sold a defective product within 6 months, you have a case. "

"Lemon Law" is not pass yet ! One gonna wait till the law is pass. 

http://app.mti.gov.sg/default.asp?id=148&articleID=23763

Regular Forumer
164 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Dec 2010 12:12 AM    Quote and Reply

Lemon tree, very pretty

and the lemon flower is sweet!

But the fruit of the poor lemon

is impossible to eat.

:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3FSRW2qFjM

Regular Forumer
265 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Dec 2010 9:41 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ahole2:
Quote:
"  Under lemon law, if you can prove that you are sold a defective product within 6 months, you have a case. "

"Lemon Law" is not pass yet ! One gonna wait till the law is pass. 

http://app.mti.gov.sg/default.asp?id=148&articleID=23763

"

QUOTE 'The Taskforce found that most of the key features of lemon laws, as implemented in developed economies, were already present in Singapore’s legislation.' UNQUOTE

Senior Forumer
58 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings