Topic: electric bicycle

Posted on: 8th Dec 2006 7:51 PM    Quote and Reply

hi all,

my 1st post...considering a electric bicycle for commuting...where do i start?

what brands are available in SG? where do i go to look at them?

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Dec 2006 10:31 PM    Quote and Reply

hi welcome to TGP.

Suggest you first read the laws on owing and using them first.

from the TP website....

Background

With more frequent use of motorised bicycles on the roads, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) and the Traffic Police (TP) introduced a revised set of requirements for motorised bicycles and riders on 1 January 2005. The aim is to enhance the safety of riders and other road users.

To ensure that the motorised bicycles sold in the market meet the approved technical requirements, LTA also introduced a type-approval scheme for motorised bicycles which came into effect from 1 October 2004 .

Below is a list of most commonly asked questions, along with the answers to each of them, to facilitate public's understanding on this matter. If you require clarification, you may email us at SPF_Feedback_TP@spf.gov.sg

Why is LTA revising the technical requirements for motorised bicycles?

When motorised bicycles came into the market about ten years ago, we allowed those that were low powered with maximum power output not exceeding 200 watts or with engine capacity not more than 23 cc to be exempted from registration, as their construction and performance were comparable to that of pedal bicycles, which are exempted from registration.

In recent years, many different models of motorised bicycles have been introduced. They are constructed differently and their performance varies. This has prompted many developed countries to review the technical specifications and treatment of motorised bicycles to address the increased safety concerns on the use of such vehicles.

LTA and TP have been monitoring these developments and reviewed the best practices adopted by other countries with the view to enhance safety requirements for motorised bicycles used on our roads.

How do the enhanced safety requirements benefit the public and riders of motorised bicycles?

Technical Requirements

The enhanced requirements incorporate additional safety measures to protect the riders and other road users. For example, one safety measure is for the motor to start only after the rider starts to pedal. This prevents the motorised bicycle from accidentally moving off while it is stationary. The motor power of a motorised bicycle will also be cut off when the speed reaches 25km/h. In addition, the type-approval and certification scheme for motorised bicycles will assure the buyer that the motorised bicycle has been approved for use on public roads.

Rider Requirements In general, a road user's driving experience is also influenced by the way other road users drive or ride their vehicles on the road. Setting a minimum age requirement for riders of motorised bicycles is one measure that TP takes to promote safety and good driving experience for all road users. Having a certain level of motor skills would enable a rider, handling the machinery of higher sustainable speed than that of conventional bicycle, to be in a better position to cope with the road conditions.

Why are petrol-driven motorised bicycles not allowed?

Motorised bicycles, with maximum power output of more than 200 watts, cannot be treated like conventional pedal bicycles. For the safety of riders and other road users, they must meet the technical and registration requirements of motorcycles before they can be used on public roads.

Riders of such high-powered motorised bicycles will also be required to hold a valid licence to ride a motorcycle.

Why can't all motorised bicycles be treated as conventional bicycles?

Motorised bicycles, with maximum power output of more than 200 watts, cannot be treated like conventional pedal bicycles. For the safety of riders and other road users, they must meet the technical and registration requirements of motorcycles before they can be used on public roads.

Riders of such high-powered motorised bicycles will also be required to hold a valid licence to ride a motorcycle.

Can riders of motorised bicycles carry pillion riders?

You may check with the retailer whom you bought the helmet from. All retailers must also comply with the law.

For buyers of motorised bicycles:

Can I get a refund if the helmet I bought is not within the regulations?

When buying a motorised bicycle for use on public roads, check that it has been type-approved and affixed with a seal with the LTA logo and a serial number embossed on it.

What other requirements do I have to comply with if I want to ride a motorised bicycle?

You have to be at least 16 years old and you have to wear a bicycle helmet.

Is there a list of authorised dealers where I can buy a motorised bicycle?

Buyers can buy motorised bicycles from any supplier/dealer of their choice, so long as the motorised bicycles supplied by the dealer have been type-approved and are affixed with an LTA seal.

How do I know if the motorised bicycle I bought complies with the new technical requirements set by LTA?

If you buy a motorised bicycle after 1 October 2004, please check that it is affixed with an LTA seal. Do not buy one without the LTA seal. If you are caught riding one without the seal on public roads, you can be fined up to $2,000 or jailed for up to three months for the first offence. For subsequent offences, you may face a fine of up to $5,000 or a jail term of up to six months.

For current owners of motorised bicycles:

I already own a motorised bicycle. What must I do?

If you own a motorised bicycle, you need to send your motorised bicycle to any one of the nine LTA authorised vehicle inspection centres for inspection before 1 January 2005. An LTA seal will be affixed on your motorised bicycle if it meets with the new requirements.

How much does it cost to inspect my motorised bicycle and affix the seal?

The inspection centres will charge a fee of $10 for inspecting and affixing a seal on the motorised bicycle.

What documents must I submit when I send my motorised bicycle for inspection?

If you still have the receipt of purchase, the user manual or the product brochure showing the technical specifications of the motorised bicycle, you can produce them when sending your motorised bicycle for inspection and affixing the seal. These documents will assist the inspection centres in carrying out the inspection.

If you do not have the above documents, you can just send your motorised bicycle to the inspection centre for inspection.

What can I do with my motorised bicycle if it cannot comply with the new technical requirements?

If your motorised bicycle is unable to comply with LTA's new technical requirements, you cannot use it on public roads. However, if it was bought before 1 October 2004, and satisfied the previous requirement of having a maximum power output of 200 watts and below, you can approach the LTA authorised vehicle inspection centres and show proof of date of purchase. The inspection centres will consider requests to affix seals on such motorised bicycles on a case-by-case basis. Please bring along the technical specifications of the motorised bicycles if you have them.

Can I retrofit a motor below 200 watts to my conventional pedal bicycle?

Yes, you can. However, a conventional bicycle that has been retrofitted with a motor below 200 watts must incorporate the new safety features. The bicycle will also be subject to type-approval at the LTA authorised vehicle inspection centres. It can only be used on public roads if it is type-approved and affixed with a LTA seal.

What if I ride a motorised bicycle, which meets LTA requirements but is not affixed with a seal?

It is an offence for any person to use motorised bicycles, without the seal affixed, on public roads. The offence carries a fine of up to $1,000 or a jail term of up to three months for the first offence. For subsequent offences, there is a fine of up to $2,000 or a jail term of up to six months.

My motorised bicycle has been type-approved and affixed with the seal. What are the types of modifications that are allowed on my motorised bicycle?

Owners are advised not to modify their motorised bicycles once they are approved and affixed with the LTA seal. You are not allowed to replace the motor with a higher-powered one, tamper with the safety features of the bicycle, replace the bicycle frame with those of a different type or replace the bicycle wheels with those of a different diameter.

What is the penalty for modifying a motorised bicycle without authorisation?

First time offenders are liable to a fine of up to $2,000 or a jail term of up to three months. Repeat offenders are liable to a fine of up to $5,000 or a jail term of up to six months.

For Dealers:

I plan to import motorised bicycles for sale in Singapore. How will the new technical requirements affect me?

Dealers, who wish to import motorised bicycles, are required to produce documents from the manufacturer, certifying that the motorised bicycles to be imported are able to comply with the new requirements. Once the motorised bicycles have been type-approved, dealers are then required to send their type-approved motorised bicycles to any one of the nine LTA authorised vehicle inspection centres to affix LTA seals, before they are allowed to sell their motorised bicycles.

What is the cost of type-approval and each seal?

The inspection centres will charge dealers a fee of $50 for processing the type- approval applications for motorised bicycles.

A fee of up to $10 for every motorised bicycle will be charged by the inspection centres for inspection and affixing an LTA seal on every unit of approved motorised bicycles.

I still have existing stocks of motorised bicycles that complied with LTA's former requirements. What must I do before I can sell them?

You are required to incorporate the additional safety features on the motorised bicycles and send them to the inspection centres for type-approval. Once approved, you can send the rest of your motorised bicycles to any one of the nine LTA authorised vehicle inspection centres to affix the LTA-seals before you can sell them to the public.

However, if you have difficulties incorporating the additional safety features on the motorised bicycles, you can appeal to the LTA with the relevant import documents and technical specifications of the motorised bicycles. LTA would evaluate such appeals on a case-by-case basis. All such appeals should be sent to the following address:

Vehicle Engineering Department
Vehicle & Transit Licensing Division
Land Transport Authority
10 Sin Ming Drive
Singapore 575701

What documents do I have to submit when I bring the motorised bicycle for type approval?

You are required to bring documents such as manufacturers' catalogues or brochures, which specify the technical specifications and built-in safety features of the motorised bicycle. If the technical specifications are not available in English, you are required to translate them and obtain certification for the translation from a qualified translator.

At the inspection centres, you will be required to fill in an application form and attach these documents together with your application. The inspection centres will conduct tests to verify that it has complied with the specified requirements.

What is the penalty if I sell motorised bicycles that are not approved by LTA?

It is an offence to sell a motorised bicycle that does not comply with the new technical requirements. The penalty is a fine of up to $2,000 or a jail term of up to three months for the first offence. For subsequent offences, the offender is liable to a fine of up to $5,000 or a jail term of up to six months.

For riders of motorised bicycles:

Can I ride my approved motorised bicycle on other areas besides the public roads? E.g. pedestrian walkways, void decks and public parks?

Motorised bicycles are not allowed on pedestrian walkways, HDB void decks and public parks. This is in accordance to the regulations laid down by government agencies such as Singapore Police Force, Housing Development Board and National Parks Board.

What is the penalty if I ride a motorised bicycle that does not comply with the new technical requirements set by LTA?

Any person found riding a non-compliant motorised bicycle on public roads are liable to a fine of up to $2,000 or a jail term of up to three months for the first offence. For subsequent offences, the offender is liable to a fine of up to $5,000 or a jail term of up to six months.

What is the penalty if I do not wear a helmet? Does a cyclist need to wear a helmet?

Riders of motorised bicycles, who do not comply with the rider requirements, are liable to a fine up to $1,000 or a jail term of up to three months.

A cyclist should wear a helmet to protect himself from head injuries should he fall.

What kind of helmet do I have to wear?

You must wear a protective bicycle helmet.

What is the penalty if I am an underaged rider?

Riders who flout the rider requirements may be charged in court and face a fine of up to $1,000 or jail term of up to three months.

Who should I call to report on offences related to motorised bicycles and what kind of information do I need to provide?

If you spot illegally modified motorised bicycles on public roads, you can contact LTA at 1800 - CALL LTA (1800 - 2255 582). You should provide your contact details and information, such as where and when such illegally modified motorised bicycles were usually spotted.

If you wish to report on the use of motorised bicycles on pavements or users riding recklessly, you can contact the nearest Neighbourhood Police Centres (NPCs). Alternatively, you can write in to the Chief Investigation Officer, Violation Reports, of the Traffic Police Department at 10 Ubi Ave 3 Singapore 408865.

Who will investigate if an accident happens? How can the victim seek recourse?

You can lodge a police report at any police post, police centres and stations. The Police will investigate the accident. The victim can seek civil claims against the rider.

Am I required to have insurance?

Motorised bicycles that meet LTA's technical requirements are exempted from registration and hence do not require insurance. However, if you wish to be insured against risks arising out of the use of the bicycle, you can purchase the appropriate insurance policy from insurance companies.

Any road safety advice for riders of motorised bicycles?

Like other cyclists, riders of motorised bicycles should:
. alight and push their bicycles across pedestrian crossings;
. keep to the left side of the road;
. not cycle against the flow of traffic; and
. affix lights to their bicycle when riding at night.

Safe Riding Tips:
. check to see that there are no vehicles coming from left and right before crossing at traffic light junctions;
. keep a safe distance away from vehicles at turning junctions; and
. wear the necessary safety gear such as cycling helmet, elbow and knee pads and wear light coloured clothing.

Motorised bicycles, like any other vehicles plying the roads, must be used in a responsible manner and with due care and consideration for other road users. We urge users of motorised bicycles to abide by road traffic rules in the interest of road safety. The Police will not hesitate to take action against those who are careless, negligent, or pose a danger to pedestrians. It is also the responsibility of all road-users to abide by road rules to ensure their safety as well as those around them

"Can't shit dun blame the hard floor"
Old Salt Forumer
1,336 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 9th Dec 2006 8:40 PM    Quote and Reply

thanks for your reply...

actually, i've oredi read up on the laws applicable

i've also emailed a electric bicycle brand, ezee, but they replied that they no longer sell bikes in SG 

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Dec 2006 10:59 PM    Quote and Reply

Try at Yishun Bikelink Trading

Regular Forumer
37 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Jun 2008 1:40 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by A-man:

Try at Yishun Bikelink Trading

"

Any other shop selling electric bikes? In the west or central area? 

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 21st Jun 2008 12:55 AM    Quote and Reply

west side like have leh ... dun really know but i got the number for the electric bike and is approve by LTA.. u can pm me for the number

Regular Forumer
30 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Jun 2008 6:31 PM    Quote and Reply

Dunno any in West or Central, but I did come across one in the East - http://www.monotine.com.sg/index.html.

I was there looking for foldies late last year, so didn't try out the electric. They quoted me something like $1200 for the folding electric. The nice thing about it was the lithium battery, so the whole bike weighed ard 18kg -- less than many other electrics, which use heavy lead-acid batteries. Can't comment about performance or anything else -- as I said, didn't try it.

Senior Forumer
134 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Jun 2008 8:20 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by dontpanic66:

Dunno any in West or Central, but I did come across one in the East - http://www.monotine.com.sg/index.html.

I was there looking for foldies late last year, so didn't try out the electric. They quoted me something like $1200 for the folding electric. The nice thing about it was the lithium battery, so the whole bike weighed ard 18kg -- less than many other electrics, which use heavy lead-acid batteries. Can't comment about performance or anything else -- as I said, didn't try it.

"

Most electric bike still can't match high end bic in terms of perfomance. To me those e-bic is like for those grandpa and grandma who got no stamina to cycle one... Haha..

Regular Forumer
926 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Jun 2008 9:46 PM    Quote and Reply

i knew of one brand like will not run out of power one leh... if u no power u just need to paddle abit more then it will charge by itself liao lor

Regular Forumer
30 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 26th Mar 2009 9:35 AM    Quote and Reply

hi guys you can check out much more information on electric bicycle here

http://electricbicycle.wordpress.com/

cheers

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 27th May 2009 12:34 AM    Quote and Reply

hello bros the website is updated with lots more information on electric bicycles !

http://www.singaporeelectricbicycle.com/

cheers!

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings