Topic: Rant about bike shop bashing and online information.

Posted on: 19th Dec 2005 11:38 PM    Quote and Reply

and they can be broken down further to another 4 category.

1. The got money but not willing to spend one.

2. The I-want-every-good-stuff-but-no-money one.

3. The understanding one and willing to pay one.

4. The advice-me-how-to-spend-my-money-for-I-know-nothing-and-you-must-be-right one.

I think there may be some others categories which I can't think of now.. :0

Senior Forumer
73 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Dec 2005 11:43 PM    Quote and Reply

hi DJ, think the second one shld read

i-want-everything-good-one-and-MUST-be-cheap-one!!!

not so sure about the last type though.

Lor Sor Forumer
902 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Dec 2005 1:42 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by singlespeeder: hi DJ, think the second one shld read i-want-everything-good-one-and-MUST-be-cheap-one!!! not so sure about the last type though."

The "Can you sell me XTRs at Deore prices" shoppers

Lor Sor Forumer
821 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 20th Dec 2005 2:25 PM    Quote and Reply

i believe so on as you're not like my dad
(oooi! cheaper la! can afford to be cheaper one! cost price so low! blah blah blah...)

and be a good customer, dont keep bargaining, and ask nicely if they could give you a good price, they certainly will...
and if you're a student, they might even be willing to lower it for you further. I'm glad to say TEF biker's junction has done so for me. Happy Buyer, Happy Seller, everyone's smiling =)

i'm a noobish mechanic
Regular Forumer
396 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Jan 2006 8:57 PM    Quote and Reply

I am new here. My impression is that some shop owners are not patient enough. They seem to want instant business. However, I have been to some nice bike shops (don't want to name them).

Freshie Forumer
1 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Jan 2006 10:12 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by archphoenix: i believe so on as you're not like my dad
(oooi! cheaper la! can afford to be cheaper one! cost price so low! blah blah blah...)

and be a good customer, dont keep bargaining, and ask nicely if they could give you a good price, they certainly will...
and if you're a student, they might even be willing to lower it for you further. I'm glad to say TEF biker's junction has done so for me. Happy Buyer, Happy Seller, everyone's smiling =)
"

Agree.  a balanced relationship.

if u keep screaming for CHEAP CHEAP, u get F-U service.

Old Salt Forumer
396 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Jan 2006 10:26 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by singlespeeder:

ok, here is my point of view.

i have to agree that shld be a MSRP in place. truth be told, they are in place already, but there will ALWAYS be a few ROGUE shops that don't adhere to it and to be honest and unfortunately, most of the local distributors don't care, they have already made their margins, so let the shops slug it out.

having been in the industry for almost 5 years now, 2 working for someone else and 3 on my own, i don't think things will get better. i wish i could figure out how to post a pic of a price list i took when i was on holiday in Oz and show all of you out there how lucky you are to be staying in S'pore.

i have said many times before, you get what you pay for, although it may not always be the case and if you happen to get shoddy work done, just don't go back to that shop, but if you want your bike to be looked after, don't quibble about prices, if any of you think you can do a better job WITHOUT the right tools then go ahead, but if something screws up, DON'T EXPECT the shop to repair the damage, which was caused by you (not referring to anyone in particular here, so don't take it personally), for free.

so, to all who think that they shld get things done for next to nothing, open up a bike shop and invest in all the tools and i'll come by to visit you with my bikeS. remember, you can't charge me more than $40 for a FULL SERVICE!

"

I agree..whoever wants full service for less than $40 dollars is just ridiculous(money spent on tools and rental etc..)...Maybe there are shops doing it and giving prices like 30 bucks for an overhaul but i know $40-$60 or even slightly more is already considered reasonable unless bike owners are willing to do everything themselvers...My impression of most bike shops are that they are actually quite helpful so far and even if you are not buying anything they would usually take the time to explain stuff to customers...So far all bike shops i've been have been good so far except for one that charged me unreasonably for just changing tubes and i had my tubes with me just that i didnt have tire levers with me....i still havent visited other shops in central or west side but so far every experience has been fine...indeed prices in singapore's actually pretty reasonable as compared to some other countries,the shop owners of the assiatants are always taking the xtra step to make sure the customer's satisfied,this even applies to the meanest bike stores i've been to...There's something i can still yet understand,why people can go to shopping malls and just pay for an item and not haggle and when it comes to bikes shops they can haggle and bargain like there's no tomorrow..haha...~~maybe a slight discount would be fine provided the shop owner offers it to you but not like asking the discount to be a must before u buy anything...Lets just continue to support our local bike shops and not take things for granted shall we..take a look around 8 years back..the prices back then were crazy i remember an old school  manitou fork could go up to the price of a pike nowadays...in some other countries the price of a simple psylo can still cost as much as a fox vanilla locally till now.....

Regular Forumer
232 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Jan 2006 10:27 PM    Quote and Reply

or*

Regular Forumer
232 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Jan 2006 11:28 PM    Quote and Reply

I guess bike shop bashing will always be happening and they will always be bike shops pissing people off because of the way they feel and act when attending to customers.

To the bike shops: somedays I just wanna buy Deore components at Deore prices, so please try not to give me the Deore 'look' or service, because there's only good or bad service in my book. If bike shops only wish to attend to customers that want to buy on that day, than we got to do more research on the Internet and through friends, which is what I think is going on these days, but I realised that the more I do that, the less stuff I buy from any bike shop.  One of the worst things we could do is go to a bike shop and ask them for something that they don't have, it seems to really irritate some bike shop owners, but they try so hard not to show it.

Customers tend to be a muddle headed bunch, there is no cure.  The ones that are well informed, most likely will be the one sleeping with their bikes. They want the prices and parts, and rather spend time on their bikes than in some stupid bike shop.

Shake your ĐĐĐĐ maker and post it on Youtube. Msg me your phone number, don't call me, I'll call you. Yeah, your cheque is in the mail, you'll get it if the post office isn't on strike.
'King of Mountain'
900 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Vietnam
Riding:
Posted on: 16th May 2007 4:06 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by DJ_Monkey:

and they can be broken down further to another 4 category.

1. The got money but not willing to spend one.

2. The I-want-every-good-stuff-but-no-money one.

3. The understanding one and willing to pay one.

4. The advice-me-how-to-spend-my-money-for-I-know-nothing-and-you-must-be-right one.

I think there may be some others categories which I can't think of now.. :0

"

i think i know what the fourth category means. it means that person is seeking advice from a guy for what is value for money. this i because i fall in this category. i always asking the bikeshop owner on what to get. of course,got research but still not understand.

Freshie Forumer
1 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings