Topic: 11 speed shimano groupset with campy cassette

Posted on: 6th Oct 2018 6:17 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi, i have currently an 11 speed shimano 6800 tt groupset on my bike.

I have an old disc wheel is on 10 speed shimano freehub but i managed to get the campy variant...anyone can share if there's a chance these are compatible?

Bike shops said its possible however, its going to be noisy. My concern is if it will damage any parts if i try it out?
Freshie Forumer
5 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Oct 2018 9:06 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by quekhockleong: Hi, i have currently an 11 speed shimano 6800 tt groupset on my bike.

I have an old disc wheel is on 10 speed shimano freehub but i managed to get the campy variant...anyone can share if there's a chance these are compatible?

Bike shops said its possible however, its going to be noisy. My concern is if it will damage any parts if i try it out?"

r u installing a 11s or 10s cassette and which maker?

Regular Forumer
68 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Riding:
Posted on: 7th Oct 2018 10:55 AM    Quote and Reply

Ah, I'm planning to install campy 11s cassette on the old disc wheel and use it on my 6800 groupset

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Oct 2018 12:15 PM    Quote and Reply

dont think u can fit a 11s campy cassette into 10s shimano hub. Campy cassette sprocket pitch is wider and the shifter pull diatance and derailleur ratio is off by about 0.1mm per click. It will be noisy or gear hop at some gears depending on how u route the cable

Regular Forumer
68 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Riding:
Posted on: 7th Oct 2018 1:04 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by quekhockleong: Hi, i have currently an 11 speed shimano 6800 tt groupset on my bike.

Bike shops said its possible however, its going to be noisy. My concern is if it will damage any parts if i try it out?"

Not sure if I am understanding u correctly. You have a 10speed shimano wheel with Shimano Freehub. But you managed to get a campy 10speed freehub to replace the shimano freehub? 

If so, you can fit a 11speed campagnolo cassette onto the 10speed campy freehub and still will works with ur shimano groupset. Campy freehub is the same length across 9,10,11.

All 11speed groupset will shift irregardless of the brands, 11speed spacing width has become so narrow that its negligible. I have been using this set up for a few years already but just that opposite of yours. I am using campagnolo groupset with 11speed shimano freehub and cassette. Shifts flawless.

Regular Forumer
1,542 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Oct 2018 3:11 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by SeyKai: dont think u can fit a 11s campy cassette into 10s shimano hub. Campy cassette sprocket pitch is wider and the shifter pull diatance and derailleur ratio is off by about 0.1mm per click. It will be noisy or gear hop at some gears depending on how u route the cable"

hi, i actually meant i got a replacement campy freehub on my old wheel and it can fit an 11 speed campy cassette, thus my query is on the compatibility...cos i was told its going to be noisy

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Oct 2018 3:13 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Yangster:
Quote:

Not sure if I am understanding u correctly. You have a 10speed shimano wheel with Shimano Freehub. But you managed to get a campy 10speed freehub to replace the shimano freehub? 

If so, you can fit a 11speed campagnolo cassette onto the 10speed campy freehub and still will works with ur shimano groupset. Campy freehub is the same length across 9,10,11.

All 11speed groupset will shift irregardless of the brands, 11speed spacing width has become so narrow that its negligible. I have been using this set up for a few years already but just that opposite of yours. I am using campagnolo groupset with 11speed shimano freehub and cassette. Shifts flawless."

thanks for sharing. I was told for my scenario wise, riding will be very noisy and its not advisable, thus I'm not very sure what's going to be the way ahead

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Oct 2018 3:44 PM    Quote and Reply

The chain's positioning with respect to the 11-speed campy cassette is dependent on the shifter; the rear derailleur is controlled by the shifter, and it does not have 11 fixed shifting positions. If you wish to use the 11-speed campy cassette, then you need to get compatiable shifters. for 11-speeds, i remember that the shift distances for all the 3 big brands are different. As long as the shift distance matches the distances between the cogs in the cassette, then it works.

BTW, if there is noise, then it means unnecessary friction is in the drive train. This is bad.

Regular Forumer
82 posts
Forum Rep: 6

Riding:
Posted on: 7th Oct 2018 3:59 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by quekhockleong:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Yangster:
Quote:

All 11speed groupset will shift irregardless of the brands, 11speed spacing width has become so narrow that its negligible. I have been using this set up for a few years already but just that opposite of yours. I am using campagnolo groupset with 11speed shimano freehub and cassette. Shifts flawless."

thanks for sharing. I was told for my scenario wise, riding will be very noisy and its not advisable, thus I'm not very sure what's going to be the way ahead"

Its not noisy at all. I am using campy chain on it btw, also have a kmc chain and they sounded the same. So no worry and no issue on having a frankenstein groupset as long as its 11speed

Regular Forumer
1,542 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Oct 2018 9:48 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks so much for everyone's reply, appreciate it

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings