Topic: Buying First Road Bike

Posted on: 16th Jul 2018 4:09 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi All,

I'm interested in getting my first road bike and will be getting a used one. I'm 1.77m tall and I think the 54cm frames are amongst the most readily available. I'm looking at the $500-800 range for used road bikes. Is that reasonable and are there any particular brands/builds that I should be looking for in this price range?

Thanks
Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Posted on: 16th Jul 2018 8:48 AM    Quote and Reply

Your budget for an used bike is good enough for aluminum frame. Get a 11-speed groupset, and if you are not a strong rider, then get the compact groupset with 50-34 crankset.

Maybe you can consider getting Polygon which is a cheap but good brand from indonesia.

Regular Forumer
84 posts
Forum Rep: 6

Riding:
Posted on: 31st Jul 2018 10:01 AM    Quote and Reply

I was on the same boat as you and finally bought my first road bike. However mine was a bit more expensive. 

Going to a lot of bike shops I looked at a lot of options. I found Merida bikes to be pretty good value. There is a store in China Town Hup Leong. Lot of options of bikes over there. Bike culture in telok blangah also carries Merida. Other options would be in Giant bikes. Lot of options in the store in Ubi. Also as mentioned polygon options would also be good. 

Scultura 100 is around 900 bucks I believe. I would go for these brands as they have a lot of options and can offer good discounts for last year models. 

Freshie Forumer
8 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Aug 2018 12:57 PM    Quote and Reply

54cm seems slightly too large for someone around 177cm height. But then again, 54cm means different things across different brands and models, since the frame geometry would be different.

for $500-800 budget, consider a used aluminium road bike from a known brand like Giant, Merida, Scott, Trek, etc. (too many to name).
For drivetrain, an 11-speed groupset is most ideal for future upgradeability. Something like Shimano 105-5800 would be good.

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 9th Sep 2018 9:47 PM    Quote and Reply

will be interested to buy my first road bike too after reading this...
Merida bikes is it ok to last for a long time?

Regular Forumer
11 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Login to see your Forum Rankings