Topic: Need some advice for first road bike

Posted on: 10th Aug 2016 5:45 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi bdlee,

If you are new to road cycling, I would suggest you go for TCR rather than Propel reason being TCR geometries are not as aggressive as Propel. You'd find yourself to be in a more relax (upright) position than the aero bike, which you potentially can ride more comfortably and longer.

Go for the bike that you like in terms of the following factors:
1. (most important) the look/design/colour
2. budget
3. (least important) group set components

You can and will only find out (after enough rides) to decide if you need an upgrade/new bike. But for now, just go for the bike you like the best and enjoy your ride.

Hope this helps.

Regular Forumer
23 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
1) Merry
Posted on: 10th Aug 2016 6:12 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by frozzberg: 

I've considered merida before as it saves me a couple hundreds,  however I've a few concerns: resale value,  quality of frame as compared to bigger brands and warranty of frames.  In fact my first bike was a hybrid merida which I've sold a week ago in order to make way for my new road bike (= "

Regarding "quality of the frame as compared to bigger brands"

Merida and Giant are the top 1 and top 2 bike manufacturers by volume. They might be Taiwan-based (manufacturing) but they have European (both are German?) engineering. They make the carbon sheets for the other "bigger brands" actually

If you are aiming to participate races/crits in the not-too-distant future, you should get Reacto / Propel --- aero shape, aggressive geometry

If you are aiming to do a lot hill/mountain climbing, go for Scultura / TCR / Tarmac / Emonda / CAAD --- traditional geometry

If you want long rides (centuries, sportives, etc), go for Defy / Merida Ride / Roubaix / Domane - and get a non-disc version if you plan to ride in formally organized events. These bikes can usually take 28/30/32 tires --- comfort geometry

If your budget goes up, go for a Canyon

but don't forget the "feel" of the bike that I mentioned previously, this should be your #1 concern

btw, Decathlon is selling a BTwin alu roadbike with 105 groupset at 1,299 SGD. Their stock sizing sucks (mostly M, ML, L sizes) but sometimes have S. They also have cheaper versions

Regular Forumer
32 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Aug 2016 7:04 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Greybach:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by frozzberg: 

I've considered merida before as it saves me a couple hundreds,  however I've a few concerns: resale value,  quality of frame as compared to bigger brands and warranty of frames.  In fact my first bike was a hybrid merida which I've sold a week ago in order to make way for my new road bike (= "

Regarding "quality of the frame as compared to bigger brands"

Merida and Giant are the top 1 and top 2 bike manufacturers by volume. They might be Taiwan-based (manufacturing) but they have European (both are German?) engineering. They make the carbon sheets for the other "bigger brands" actually

If you are aiming to participate races/crits in the not-too-distant future, you should get Reacto / Propel --- aero shape, aggressive geometry

If you are aiming to do a lot hill/mountain climbing, go for Scultura / TCR / Tarmac / Emonda / CAAD --- traditional geometry

If you want long rides (centuries, sportives, etc), go for Defy / Merida Ride / Roubaix / Domane - and get a non-disc version if you plan to ride in formally organized events. These bikes can usually take 28/30/32 tires --- comfort geometry

If your budget goes up, go for a Canyon

but don't forget the "feel" of the bike that I mentioned previously, this should be your #1 concern

btw, Decathlon is selling a BTwin alu roadbike with 105 groupset at 1,299 SGD. Their stock sizing sucks (mostly M, ML, L sizes) but sometimes have S. They also have cheaper versions

"

Thank you for the length explanation and various choices listed above. My general forecasted usage would be mostly on flats around sg roads and the average mileage should range from 40-70km per trip (thats if i take into consideration the group that I would be joining in with my friend in it).

I doubt I will be into serious cycing e.g taking part in competitions, I would just be cycling for leisure and making new friends but at the same time want to be good at it as well.

As of now Im unsure if difference in frame weight e.g Giant TCR vs TCR SLR would play a huge role in my cycling experience, so far only got to test ride the CAAD 10 from cannondale and thoroughly enjoyed that ride as compared to the Merida Hybrid I was previously riding.

As for my current list of bikes under consideration, I have a few lingering considerations for each model:

1) Giant TCR 1 - This costs 1.25k w/ Tiagras , at my current level it should suffice but its hard to tell how much i would be losing out if i get this frame as compared to lets say the TCR SLR frame w/ 105's. This pricing fits well within my original intended budget to. Fit is good on this.

2) Giant TCR SLR2 - This costs 1.8k w/ 105's and i can definitely feel the weight difference as compared to the TCR 1 just by carrying it, however I did not have the opportunity to test ride both Bikes as Tay Cycle does not provide the option of test rides. Fit is good on this as it was on the TCR 1.

3) Giant Propel SLR 2 - This costs 1.8k w/ 105's for the 2016 model, geometry wise as you said it definitely feels a little bit more aggressive but not to the point where i feel significantly less comfortable than I feel on the TCR geometry. Design wise this sort of ties w/ the TCR SLR 2. Not to mention their almost similar weights.

4) Cannondale CAAD 10 - This is on discount at 2.1k w/ 105's. I had the opportunity to test ride it and it was a blast. Frame fit and design are up to my taste as well, however the extra $300 premium makes it hard to justify over an equally capable Giant TCR SLR 2 and Giant Propel SLR 2 interms of Specs. As for ride compared to the above mentioned Giants, its a pity i did not get to ride the Giants to have a better comparison.

5) Merida Scultura 400 - This costs around 1.5k sgd, while it presents itself as the better value to the Giant mostly, the spec sheet shows it doesnt run full 105 components, also the design language isnt right up to my taste, however fit is definitely not an issue here. The 200-300$ in savings here is what it has going for it though.

6) Here comes the Canyons, now i can get an Ultimate Al SLX 9.0 Alu Frame w/ Ultegras for $USD1409 or their Ultimate CF SL7.0 Carbon Frame w/ 105's for $USD1499. Fit wise I cannot comment as I can only rely on the Canyon Online fitter to determine the appropriate frame size for me. As for the actual Bike fit itself I have an experienced friend who would be able to do it for me. Design is pretty much the best looking one to me out of all the bikes listed above. When converting the currency to SGD, their prices are approximately 2.4-2.5k SGD which is way above my initial budget. 

The canyons seem to have way lighter frames than all the above mentioned bikes, if budget allows I would surely go for either the Alu or Carbon Canyons, however that decision lies on the "financial gods" at home (:

I apologise for the lenghty post above, those are just my thoughts on each of the individual bikes I am considering. As this is a pretty huge investment from my side, I would want to make sure I make a decision I would not regret. Assuming I wouldnt have the budget for the Canyons, Im pretty much spoilt for choice between options #1-5 hahaha . Appreciate any advice I could get on this!

Regular Forumer
14 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Aug 2016 7:07 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by TooT80: Hi bdlee,

If you are new to road cycling, I would suggest you go for TCR rather than Propel reason being TCR geometries are not as aggressive as Propel. You'd find yourself to be in a more relax (upright) position than the aero bike, which you potentially can ride more comfortably and longer.

Go for the bike that you like in terms of the following factors:
1. (most important) the look/design/colour
2. budget
3. (least important) group set components

You can and will only find out (after enough rides) to decide if you need an upgrade/new bike. But for now, just go for the bike you like the best and enjoy your ride.

Hope this helps.

"

Yea I was considering TCR for a less agressive geometry as well, however tbh the Propel's Aero Frame sways me to its side a little for its sleek design. Both cost the same w/ pretty much almost similar components. Right now as posted above this reply, I have quite a number of models under consideration and am having a hard time deciding :P Thanks for your help!

Regular Forumer
14 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Aug 2016 10:41 AM    Quote and Reply

Yea I was considering TCR for a less agressive geometry as well, however tbh the Propel's Aero Frame sways me to its side a little for its sleek design. Both cost the same w/ pretty much almost similar components. Right now as posted above this reply, I have quite a number of models under consideration and am having a hard time deciding :P Thanks for your help!

I've been through this stage before. The only deciding factor ultmately lies in the budget and getting the best bang for the bucks.
Having said that, (after my shortlist) i went to the shops again and have another chat with the boss/owner and asked for more discount (typical Singaporean).
In my case, Merida quoted me an irresistible offer... lol

Regular Forumer
23 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
1) Merry
Posted on: 11th Aug 2016 10:46 AM    Quote and Reply

*UPDATE*
(regarding my previous post above, I can't find any Edit Post link)
I am by no means a pro/expert in this hobby. Feel free to correct me.

2017 models are coming in since TdF 2016 has just finished. You could wait a bit more to see some prices for the 2016 models drop.

Regular Forumer
32 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Aug 2016 10:49 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Greybach:

*UPDATE*
(regarding my previous post above, I can't find any Edit Post link)
I am by no means a pro/expert in this hobby. Feel free to correct me.

2017 models are coming in since TdF 2016 has just finished. You could wait a bit more to see some prices for the 2016 models drop.

"

I've gon down to taycycle. They have only 2017 tcr slr2 left.  For the propel,  they have the 2016 model with a discount to 1799 for propel slr 2 which still makes me unable to decide which I want :P

Regular Forumer
14 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Aug 2016 10:49 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by TooT80:

I've been through this stage before. The only deciding factor ultmately lies in the budget and getting the best bang for the bucks.
Having said that, (after my shortlist) i went to the shops again and have another chat with the boss/owner and asked for more discount (typical Singaporean).
In my case, Merida quoted me an irresistible offer... lol"

Define irresistible? (= 

Regular Forumer
14 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Aug 2016 11:10 AM    Quote and Reply

its good to see that u have already narrowed down to a few bikes and did your homework well.

Its also good that your budget is 2k and below, so in leiu of your budget hence u can skip the helios(dun worry i wont recommend u a exactly 2k bike)

IMO, i would pick either :

1) the sculptura 2017 (wait for it, it will arrive within these 2 months or shorter) . reason is its already 90% 105 parts liao, u need to only fork out 105 brakes, which costs 71 bucks (excluding shipping charge) from crc. so total cost would be around 15XX or 16XX

2) giant TCR SLR 2 ( good frame design )

the propel and reacto models are more for aero and for mostly suited for short sprint rides, not for lengthy long rides.

cannondale price is quite steep for a bike with 105 parts and u already said the feel is like the same as propel..why pay so much more?  plus the service center is a distance in ubi , hence i would not pick it.

these are just the points u can think about. best of luck in the choosing of your new bike

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Aug 2016 11:34 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by albatross: its good to see that u have already narrowed down to a few bikes and did your homework well.

Its also good that your budget is 2k and below, so in leiu of your budget hence u can skip the helios(dun worry i wont recommend u a exactly 2k bike)

IMO, i would pick either :

1) the sculptura 2017 (wait for it, it will arrive within these 2 months or shorter) . reason is its already 90% 105 parts liao, u need to only fork out 105 brakes, which costs 71 bucks (excluding shipping charge) from crc. so total cost would be around 15XX or 16XX

2) giant TCR SLR 2 ( good frame design )

the propel and reacto models are more for aero and for mostly suited for short sprint rides, not for lengthy long rides.

cannondale price is quite steep for a bike with 105 parts and u already said the feel is like the same as propel..why pay so much more?  plus the service center is a distance in ubi , hence i would not pick it.

these are just the points u can think about. best of luck in the choosing of your new bike

"

I've given Hup Leong a call and they say their 2017 Scultura is in,  pricing is $1482 w/ almost 100% 105 parts as you said.  A quick search online for the previous model shows the weight coming is around 8.9kg. As opposed to the slightly more expensive giant tcr slr 2 which weighs in around 7.9kg, it's almost a 1kg difference.  Would it be a justifiable premium to pay or for my use / experience it would be insignificant and wiser to spend the couple hundred of savings on accessories instead?  Thanks for your help!  I will go down to hup leong to have a look at the bike this weekend as well. 

Regular Forumer
14 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings