Topic: Need some advice for first road bike

Posted on: 6th Aug 2016 4:54 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi guys,

Im looking to get into road cycling and am currently torn between a few matters.

I have a budget between 1-2k, of course the lesser the better.

Im considering between

1) Giant TCR 1 (Tiagra) - 1.25k
2) Giant Propel SLR 2 (105) - 1.8k
3) Polygon Helios C4 (Tiagra) - 1.2k

I understand these bikes have different geometries and have personally tried the fit on all three frames and feel fine in all 3, however im not sure what are my requirements or needs and whether I would contemplate upgrading to other bikes in future. Could anyone advise me on any pointers or other models i could consider?

Im not really particular about the brands too.

Thank you all for your help!

Regular Forumer
14 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Aug 2016 6:04 PM    Quote and Reply

Final decision mainly boils down to personal preference I suppose.
All 3 look like decent choices.

Between the 3, my personal preference is the Propel, as I like the design. My choice would have no bearing though! :)
If you're trying to think upgradeability, then having a Shimano 105 11speed groupset helps, as the next 2 models up (Ultegra and Dura-Ace) are also 11speed. That's about the only point I can think of.

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Aug 2016 6:08 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kevin301: Final decision mainly boils down to personal preference I suppose.
All 3 look like decent choices.

Between the 3, my personal preference is the Propel, as I like the design. My choice would have no bearing though! :)
If you're trying to think upgradeability, then having a Shimano 105 11speed groupset helps, as the next 2 models up (Ultegra and Dura-Ace) are also 11speed. That's about the only point I can think of."

Haha I'm bending towards the propel for its design too,  however Im still equally inclined towards the tcr slr 2 for its slightly more laxed geometrh  Yea upgradability is a concern as well hence 105 pretty much is the  baseline.  Thanks for your reply! 

Regular Forumer
14 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Aug 2016 11:31 AM    Quote and Reply

I was in your shoes 9 months ago. Over the 4 months of deciding which, I was drawn to the Propel more and more. I ended up with a TCR... due to PRICE (promo offer) and COLOR, the weight savings of the TCR to an equivalent Propel is just bonus and wasn't a deciding factor.

Granted my budget increased over those deciding months, everyday I look at my bike, I want to ride it (I did, mostly, during TOGO920). You should see the actual bikes and imagine yourself which bike design would you still want to ride, 1, 3, 5, 10 years down the road

Regular Forumer
32 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 9th Aug 2016 11:36 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Greybach:

I was in your shoes 9 months ago. Over the 4 months of deciding which, I was drawn to the Propel more and more. I ended up with a TCR... due to PRICE (promo offer) and COLOR, the weight savings of the TCR to an equivalent Propel is just bonus and wasn't a deciding factor.

Granted my budget increased over those deciding months, everyday I look at my bike, I want to ride it (I did, mostly, during TOGO920). You should see the actual bikes and imagine yourself which bike design would you still want to ride, 1, 3, 5, 10 years down the road

"

I've gone down to the shop itself,  Tcr Matt colour scheme is dope,  propels aero frame draws equal attention too wahahaha.  Both fit me pretty decently though I'm no expert with regards to a good bike fit.  Its a just a pity I don't have the chance to test these out.  I've tested the caad 10 and really like it but sadly it's 300$ more than an equivalent giant and that sum can go a long way in buying accessories for riding.  Thanks for your input,  I also agree it's important to feel to want to ride your bike! 

Regular Forumer
14 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Aug 2016 11:52 AM    Quote and Reply

Have you considered the Specilized DSL Ellite? That's a nice Aluminum frame.

Regular Forumer
91 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Posted on: 10th Aug 2016 11:55 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by bdlee: Have you considered the Specilized DSL Ellite? That's a nice Aluminum frame."

You mean the DSW Elite?  It costs 1.9k but only comes with tiagra groupset..  I'd rather get the giant in that case haha and yup I've tried it out at the shop before. 

Regular Forumer
14 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Aug 2016 1:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Do consider Merida Scultura (like TCR) and Reacto (like Propel) as well. In terms of value for money, they score highly. Some components are factory-specced with other brands (eg. FSA) to reduce the build cost. For example, it might be a 105 groupset but not all the components are 105.

Regular Forumer
286 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Aug 2016 1:35 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kevin301: Do consider Merida Scultura (like TCR) and Reacto (like Propel) as well. In terms of value for money, they score highly. Some components are factory-specced with other brands (eg. FSA) to reduce the build cost. For example, it might be a 105 groupset but not all the components are 105."

I've considered merida before as it saves me a couple hundreds,  however I've a few concerns: resale value,  quality of frame as compared to bigger brands and warranty of frames.  In fact my first bike was a hybrid merida which I've sold a week ago in order to make way for my new road bike (= 

Regular Forumer
14 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Aug 2016 3:01 PM    Quote and Reply

Oh I see.

I don't think about resale value when I buy my bikes...
But you do know that Merida is one of the biggest bicycle manufacturers, right? They contract manufacture for a number of brands, just like Giant do as well.

Regular Forumer
286 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Aug 2016 5:01 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by frozzberg:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by bdlee: Have you considered the Specilized DSL Ellite? That's a nice Aluminum frame."

You mean the DSW Elite?  It costs 1.9k but only comes with tiagra groupset..  I'd rather get the giant in that case haha and yup I've tried it out at the shop before. "

Yes the DSW Elite, I know Tay Junction was giving a 300 bucks off discount, and I believe the smart welding does make a difference from al the other Alu frames.

Regular Forumer
91 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Login to see your Forum Rankings